SAU Community

Difference Between Standard R32 Gtr & N1 Front Bar?

Unfortunately my GTR was backed into in the supermarket car-park a week or so ago.

Nothing major to look at till we got the bar cover off and found the Rio and mounts all bent and distorted.

While talking with my body-works and local NISSAN dealer we discovered that the N1 Bar Cover and Rio are in fact the same price to buy as the standard GTR Bar Cover and Rio.

Now I understand that I will also need to purchase the N1 vents to go in the holes but was wondering is that in fact the only difference? Have the N1 bar and Rio simply got holes in them already for the vents or is there more to it? They didn't have different shaped headlights or something like that did they?

My standard GTR lip will still attach properly etc???

I was going to buy the parts and cut up my standard bar till this happened so I figure now's the time to do it and save work later if possible, its not a case of wanting to brag about having a genuine N1 bar. I really couldn't care less about that sort of stuff.

Yes your lip will attach

Yes just the vents are different. But be careful with the holes in the reo where the vents insert - they may be a bit fkd up and reuire some love from a slide hammer

Sweet, all I needed to know.

Change part numbers on the quote tomorrow and order the N1 stuff instead. Saves me cutting stuff up and risk getting it wrong.

• 2 months later...

So after much waiting all the parts finally arrived, the bar etc has been fitted and we get to the task of fitting the N1 Vents.

How exactly are they held in place?? We have some work in front of us making the ones I got actually fit the profile of the bar correctly to start with but once thats done the only way we can see of securing them in place on the bar is to Sikaflex them on.

Is this how its supposed to be done? Is there some kind of fitting kit that I maybe should have got?

Main reason I ask is that I was speaking with "somebody" at "the company I bought them from" who said he would pop one out of another vehicle to check an issue I had. Now if they are sikaflexed in I dont see that as being an easy thing to do.

Have to admit that at the moment I am beginning to wish I had never bothered with the damn things.

Any advice or suggestions muchly appreciated.

Unfortunately my GTR was backed into in the supermarket car-park a week or so ago.

Nothing major to look at till we got the bar cover off and found the Rio and mounts all bent and distorted.

While talking with my body-works and local NISSAN dealer we discovered that the N1 Bar Cover and Rio are in fact the same price to buy as the standard GTR Bar Cover and Rio.

Now I understand that I will also need to purchase the N1 vents to go in the holes but was wondering is that in fact the only difference? Have the N1 bar and Rio simply got holes in them already for the vents or is there more to it? They didn't have different shaped headlights or something like that did they?

My standard GTR lip will still attach properly etc???

I was going to buy the parts and cut up my standard bar till this happened so I figure now's the time to do it and save work later if possible, its not a case of wanting to brag about having a genuine N1 bar. I really couldn't care less about that sort of stuff.

Should be just a straight fit/bolt on.

The Nismo Front Bar (Some call it N1) should already have the Intercooler air ducts in it.

The bar is a straight fit. Its on and finished. (Yes they have the holes cut in them, not very well but they are cut. My 8 year old daughter could hacve doone a better job.)

Its the NISMO Vents we are not sure about. There is nothing on them to locate them securely in the bar, they just sit in a gaping big hole. Is there suppossed to be some kind of bracket fopr them or are they in fact simply "glued" in place??

The bar is a straight fit. Its on and finished. (Yes they have the holes cut in them, not very well but they are cut. My 8 year old daughter could hacve doone a better job.)

Its the NISMO Vents we are not sure about. There is nothing on them to locate them securely in the bar, they just sit in a gaping big hole. Is there suppossed to be some kind of bracket fopr them or are they in fact simply "glued" in place??

They clip in or should do.

But yeah you can just Sikaflex them in place. Make sure it is done neatly as that stuff can be hard to get off.

Question: How much are the bits ex Nissan?

yep, there is supposed to be clips. from memory 2 on top and bottom and 1 on each side. they are sort of a spring. so you can push the vent in, then the spring pops out and holds them there. most likely the vents you got are not genuine.

edit, they look like this. you can see the clips along the top.

post-3621-1242703315_thumb.jpg

They clip in or should do.

But yeah you can just Sikaflex them in place. Make sure it is done neatly as that stuff can be hard to get off.

Question: How much are the bits ex Nissan?

I figured they should clip in as well, especially when I rang the company I got them from, re the poor fitting, and was told he would need them back so he could pop one out of his bosses car and check these vents in that. Bit hard to pop em out when they are sikaflexed in I thought.

Genuine the vents are around $220 each.

Strangely though the NISMO bar cover is exactly the same price as a standard GTR bar cover. Just it has dodgy cut holes that require real expensive vents to fill.

Is anybody able to confirm the "correct, original" fitment for these vents??

I have been through the workshop manual, searched these forums and the net but have not been able to come up with a definitive answer.

If I have to glass some clips on these ones then I will but it would be nice to know how they are suppossed to fit. Maybe a picture of an original one if somebody has one.