SAU Community

Just Bought Federal Ss595's

Hey guys. Well I don't have much experience when it comes to tyres. All mine have been cheapish until I could afford something decent so I chose to go with the Federal SS595's all round. Before I say anything about the fitment, the SS595's grip really well and I am really satisfied with them.

My rims are 17x8 on the front and 17x9 on the rear.

I used to run a 215/45R17 on the fronts, but after bolting on 25mm spacers I wanted to gain a bit of stretch in the tyre to reduce scrubbing on the guard.

I stayed the same on the rear, running 225/45's, and I am happy with the way they turned out with the Federals.

I had a friend (with experience) suggest me go a profile lower to the 215/40 on the front, so I did.

These are the results. The tyre does not look good at all and you can't even compare the look to the rear.

Does anybody know why this is? And can anybody suggest a solution (perhaps a better fitting tyre size) to go on the 17x8?

If anybody has a decent solution I'm willing to go back to the place and possibly ask to swap the tyres (even if I have to pay a bit more). I have probably only done about 20km max on them so far.

Front

DSC_0517ed.jpg

Rear

DSC_0507ed.jpg

Front & Rear

DSC_0503ed-1.jpg

Thanks in advance,

-Jimmy.

Edited by -Jimmy-

fronts look bulged out, are you sure theyre 215/40?

stick with 215/45/17

dont go to 40 profile, makes it look too skinny.

get rid of the 25mm spacer, its too big, downgrade to 15mm and stick with 215/45.

what offset are your rims? (before the 25mm spacer)

maybe its the way federal designed their tyres thats why it doesn't look at stretched as other tyre makes.

Well I was originally going to go the lower size (205) instead of profile, but I had someone say to me that it's the profile that will increase/decrease stretch etc.

+37 is the offset of the rims.

I think I read somewhere that these particular tyres have a fair amount of lip clearance or whatever, but oh well. Might suss out going the 45 then. More money to spend that I don't have.

Do you think I should risk asking for the 205/45 or just stay safe and go the 215/45 which I used to have.

Edited by -Jimmy-

Ok well as I said I'll see what I can do tomorrow, but most likely I won't be able to exchange it so I'll just have to live with what I got. I will get used to it. Thanks for your input.

Went back today. Basically the guy told me that Federal are very generous on giving the extra lip protection and blah blah, he knew I didn't like it because of the cosmetic purposes but yeah oh well. He says it's a good thing. I'm sure it is, I'll just have to get over it lol.

I had a friend (with experience) suggest me go a profile lower to the 215/40 on the front, so I did.
Information I have suggests that reducing the profile of the front tyres will tend to increase the tendency for understeer.

And why would you skimp on the tyre width by deliberately holding back on fitting the widest possible tyre on the available rim? Looks? The tyres are all that connect you to the road. Not much of a look after the skinny ones let go ...

They aren't ridiculously skinny, and it wasn't entirely for looks, it was so it wouldn't scrub the guard.

I'm convinced it doesn't look as bad as i thought now :verymad:

DSC_0472ed.jpg

-Jimmy.

Edited by -Jimmy-

Yeah nah, reducing width will increase stretch, not profile. Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about.

Agreed with others though, go for a 215/45 next time around. Or if you want a bit more stretch, 205/50.

Stretched tyres are more inclined to understeer though. The sidewall needs to be able to flex to some extent to allow the tyre to maintain grip.

Ideally I'd say next time around go back to 215/45 and run 15mm spacers instead of 25mm.

Edited by Lupes

Front. 17x8 +37, effectively +12 with the 25mm spacer. 215/40R17 Federal SS595 tyre.

Rear. 17x9 +37, no spacer but plans to go 10-15mm. 225/45R17 Federal SS595 tyre.

Edited by -Jimmy-

Got pics? Also are they Federals? As I stated before, Federal seem to be very generous in their rim protectors versus other brands. Also your tyre being the 235 might compensate for being the lower profile.