SAU Community

New Speed Camera?

Kelvin

Hi guys,

Just wanted to have a clarification on something that happened just now. I was travelling along Mounts Bay road just about an hour ago and my radar detector started going off and showed "LASER". I immediately slowed down and tried to locate the source. It was a Maroon Honda CR-V (iirc) with its back open and facing me. As I got closer, I noticed that in it was what looked like a Multinova camera except much bigger(filled up the back of the SUV). This device was in the back of the car as opposed to being on the ground as you would notice with most Multinovas.

My question is this: is this some kind of a new speed device recently introduced or has it been around for awhile? I only know about the rear-taking Multinovas which was implemented just recently.

I do know that Multinovas would cause the radar detectors to beep "Ka Band" and that it is usually accompanied with a white SUV which is why I found it very weird to hear my detector beep "LASER" accompanied with the red SUV.

I hope I do not sound stupid for asking this but would really like to know what that "thing" actually was so that I would be more aware in future. So if anyone has any clue as to what it is, please do enlighten me.

Cheers,

Kelvin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that one as well, I have no idea what it could be....maybe a detailed traffic volume survey or new speed camera?

Either way looks like they got some rudd-luv and spent it on a new toy.

They also had a laser mounted on a tripod sitting in front of a unmarked police car a few weeks back looked like a speed trap I saw in France.

Edited by michael87

i so need a detector...

what brand you guys using? Is it external one ? or built in one?

I wouldnt mind getting one built into the dash... much nicer and cleaner then a detector on the window.

Btw ive seen the one on the tripod..

thats for lazy police who want to sit in their car and wait for someone to speed, rather then standing outside and pointing the gun..

they do that alot on centaury (spelling) rd near curtin uni.

You give them far to much credit Kelvin haha, im guessing there just to fat and lazy to get out of the car and set it up normally so they just set it in the back and open the boot lip ;)

btw come over and check my new ride, been in brissy for a few months, she just arrived last week!

Edited by Dos

haha i know..but the weird thing is that it beeped "Laser" instead of the usual "Ka band" which is what i find puzzling..is it normal for a multinova to be in Laser band?

haha i know..but the weird thing is that it beeped "Laser" instead of the usual "Ka band" which is what i find puzzling..is it normal for a multinova to be in Laser band?

heheh its prob for google street viewer lol hahh you neverno i doubt it is a multi ;)

Don't think rear facing cameras are that new.. Stopped and asked an operator the other week about getting flashed and he said most operators don't take the time to align the cameras properly to catch both directions of traffic. Only really works for single lane roads too. I guess they've started the rear facing positioning lately to try and catch people out though.

The guy who works around my area is nice enough to set his up to catch both directions.. great bloke

yup and worst of all with these camera setups is that it suppose to get by sides of the road..

by sister got a ticket from a camera on the other side

honestly dont see how... pretty bs

but yeah considering that all this radar/laser sh#t aint accurate 'as in wind / humidity ect, are all factors that

change the performance of the cameras'

WELL there now takin REAR photo`s of SPEEDER`S as i have just had one ,so it`s all changed ,they don`t have to SHOW DRIVER ANY more it`s down to you to prove other wise,so keep your eye & ear`s on the up :P:D any one in perth just watch step on TONKIN between welshpool road & kelvin road sitting along there in 4 different spot`s in middle strip to ,cheer`s chuckie

i so need a detector...

what brand you guys using? Is it external one ? or built in one?

I wouldnt mind getting one built into the dash... much nicer and cleaner then a detector on the window.

Btw ive seen the one on the tripod..

thats for lazy police who want to sit in their car and wait for someone to speed, rather then standing outside and pointing the gun..

they do that alot on centaury (spelling) rd near curtin uni.

They r well worth the $$. I invested in one of the best ones out there, cost an arm & a leg but its just about paid for itself over the time ive had it.

Sumtimes ur jus not paying attention to the speed ur doin & thats when the cameras seem to appear. Saved me twice in a row the other weekend, i was running late, got lasered on Beaufort St. & 1km down the road a multinova appeared, good thing i had my trusty V1 detector ready. I got mine off this guy http://www.delonixradar.com.au/ He distributes them & according to his tests, the Valentine 1 is the best for detection. Look on the YouTube links, he's done a test with several radar detectors sittin on his dash & the V1 gives u the most warning on all bands i think. Well it was when i bought mine couple of yrs ago.

over east they have been known to stick speed cameras in the back of police vans etc

so they might be trailing it here now?

Good, makes them easier to hit with one of these....

rpg.jpg

omega_1.jpg
= Easier target acquisition! Edited by Marco-R34GTT

Mine goes off LASER if I'm heading toward the sun.

That pic off the mutlinova car should run on KA-BAND or K-BAND as you can see the radar emitter. That black cone emits and/or recieves the radar, the big red thing is the flash, it has a red filter on it for night time.

There is a white 4wd with it too. I know coz it got me Thursday night over the easter weekend after mts bay turnoff but before hay st turnoff in the middle by the guardrails, when it drops from 100 to 80km's. waiting for my possible 10-14 loss of demerit points letter... :woot: