SAU Community

New Speed Camera?

Kelvin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving has become more unfun these days, too paranoid about fines. its sad cos these cars beg for a bit of fun.. lol am i admiting to being a "hoon"? Soon they'll have cameras in trees that will grenade ur car if ur speeding.. awesome. But seriously radar detectors are a good idea, think i need to invest in one soon cos cameras in unmarked cars catching me from behind is like punching someone in the back of the head when there not looking.. its dogish.

there was a camera on on reid between beechboro and tonkin hw. this was facing the opposite way behind a 4wd so it would get a pic of your plates from the back. good thing i was in a slow mood lol

Radar detector? Just get a radar jammer... sure it's illegal but well worth it especially when the traffic cops aren't doing their duty. I'm pretty sure the majority of the community doesn't want speed cameras on the road. Cops can't search your car anyway for a jammer unless you let them or give them a reason to. Not only that, they put them in zones where the speed limit suddenly drops 10-20km/h to catch people out, hide them in bushes/around bends/hill crests and now apparently the back of cars. How about putting them in plain sight to you know DETER people from speeding rather than taking their happy snap? Or having more marked police cars / officers on the road with hand held lasers to actually tell them off rather than just pocketing cash. Obviously they know hiding them doesn't work if they have to put 3 of them within 1-2km for the holidays down south. Anytime you see a marked cop on the road everybody does 5-10km/h under the speed limit, much more effective then an undercover cop pulling just one person over.

Anyway, WA is turning into a shithole with all the old generation politicians and the police commisioner making up ridiculous laws, enforcing absurd policies and advertising scare mongering tactics to win over the votes of the largest demographic in WA... old geezers. Like they didn't do the same if not worse stuff when they were young, like when the BAC was 0.08% or didn't even exist.

Radar detector? Just get a radar jammer... sure it's illegal but well worth it especially when the traffic cops aren't doing their duty. I'm pretty sure the majority of the community doesn't want speed cameras on the road. Cops can't search your car anyway for a jammer unless you let them or give them a reason to. Not only that, they put them in zones where the speed limit suddenly drops 10-20km/h to catch people out, hide them in bushes/around bends/hill crests and now apparently the back of cars. How about putting them in plain sight to you know DETER people from speeding rather than taking their happy snap? Or having more marked police cars / officers on the road with hand held lasers to actually tell them off rather than just pocketing cash. Obviously they know hiding them doesn't work if they have to put 3 of them within 1-2km for the holidays down south. Anytime you see a marked cop on the road everybody does 5-10km/h under the speed limit, much more effective then an undercover cop pulling just one person over.

Anyway, WA is turning into a shithole with all the old generation politicians and the police commisioner making up ridiculous laws, enforcing absurd policies and advertising scare mongering tactics to win over the votes of the largest demographic in WA... old geezers. Like they didn't do the same if not worse stuff when they were young, like when the BAC was 0.08% or didn't even exist.

+10

Exactly what i think, It is a Joke, "Speed cameras" dont save lives... if your doing 10km over... go past and continue on your day... how did it just save a life... besides put you out of pocket. They need to sell cameras Besides Red light. And get another 20 marked cars and destroy the unmarked, People wont speed around marked cars.

my 2c

Guys i know i will be reemed for saying i think camera's are fine cause the money raised is actually spent on the road which we like to use, the problem with getting rid of them is our roads will then be paid for out of our taxes, which means they will have to go up cause they will not take the money for roads off schools or public health. i just want them to stop with the speed kills approach and say it is revenue raising and then actually use that money to make our roads more safe to actually drive on. I also agree that we need more marked cars to stop idiots in single peggers doing 180's in front of me at the lights so i have to get around him or slam into him.... that is the stuff a camera and lower speeds wont find and catch...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Just wanted to have a clarification on something that happened just now. I was travelling along Mounts Bay road just about an hour ago and my radar detector started going off and showed "LASER". I immediately slowed down and tried to locate the source. It was a Maroon Honda CR-V (iirc) with its back open and facing me. As I got closer, I noticed that in it was what looked like a Multinova camera except much bigger(filled up the back of the SUV). This device was in the back of the car as opposed to being on the ground as you would notice with most Multinovas.

My question is this: is this some kind of a new speed device recently introduced or has it been around for awhile? I only know about the rear-taking Multinovas which was implemented just recently.

I do know that Multinovas would cause the radar detectors to beep "Ka Band" and that it is usually accompanied with a white SUV which is why I found it very weird to hear my detector beep "LASER" accompanied with the red SUV.

I hope I do not sound stupid for asking this but would really like to know what that "thing" actually was so that I would be more aware in future. So if anyone has any clue as to what it is, please do enlighten me.

Cheers,

Kelvin

mebe they have these now

http://www.policespeedcameras.info/vitronic.html

vitronic_volvo.jpg

quote name='dan_the_man' date='15 May 2009, 12:43 AM' post='4595516']

mebe they have these now

http://www.policespeedcameras.info/vitronic.html

vitronic_volvo.jpg

Yeah thats wat I was thinking. Remember when they were using a camera setup that would grab your number plate, speed and god know's what else, run it through a database, and would then tell the cops if the car is unlicensed, if the owner of the car is wanted for arrest, speeding etc etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was putting out some sort of laser which was picked up by the radar detector....

Edited by Douse

Guys i know i will be reemed for saying i think camera's are fine cause the money raised is actually spent on the road which we like to use, the problem with getting rid of them is our roads will then be paid for out of our taxes, which means they will have to go up cause they will not take the money for roads off schools or public health. i just want them to stop with the speed kills approach and say it is revenue raising and then actually use that money to make our roads more safe to actually drive on. I also agree that we need more marked cars to stop idiots in single peggers doing 180's in front of me at the lights so i have to get around him or slam into him.... that is the stuff a camera and lower speeds wont find and catch...

They dont use much of the money on roads. . There was a thing on the radio the other day about that. . They were talking to an rac guy bout it. . he said something bout them making 200 million a year or something. . and we still have crap roads. .

That camera in the red wagon looks like something out of the Jackle

Edited by Daniel R32

Hi Guys

In Bunbury early last year the Police did a big push on the "Photo Recognition" of plates and vehicles. They went around and took lot's of data from heaps of cars.

Maybe this new vehicle set up is a cross between a laser camera and a photo recognition system that is designed to monitor speed aswell as keep unlicensed or whatever cars off the road.

Not condoning it but it seems like we are going into a new era of driving. Might have to look into phantom plates, hide aways or even a jammer like people have previously mentioned if you are addicted to the speed frenzy.

Blinky

Kelvin, got a speeding fine yet?

nah...none received so far...probably was under the speed limit and saw no flash as well :blush:

Speeding fines are also known as Stupid tax.

we need to tax the stupid to pay for things like all those labels on desicants in electrical goods boxes that say " do not eat ".

It's kinder to tax the stupid instead of letting them die from thier stupidity.

Edited by rev210

Speeding fines are also known as Stupid tax.

we need to tax the stupid to pay for things like all those labels on desicants in electrical goods boxes that say " do not eat ".

It's kinder to tax the stupid instead of letting them die from thier stupidity.

Well technically if they're paying said "stupid tax", then they're still exhibiting the same Darwinian behaviour that you're suggesting the tax averts, as per your "instead" comment indicating an either-or situation. Food for thought perhaps :(

Well technically if they're paying said "stupid tax", then they're still exhibiting the same Darwinian behaviour that you're suggesting the tax averts, as per your "instead" comment indicating an either-or situation. Food for thought perhaps :happy:

I see what you are saying but, there are degrees of severity of the condition. Whilst it's true that a small percentage end up at the pointy end of fatal stupidity, there are a good number saved by anti-stupid signage.

Like all national health issues, we still need more money to fund signs to help the fatally stupid.

Getting that money from the moderately stupid just makes so much sense, hence why we are introducing back of boot speed cameras. :(

Radard detectors are actually also products designed to raise money for the fatally stupid. It's a little known fact that the companies making them donate the money raised to help fund research into cures for the fatally stupid. If you look inside the radar detector there is only a few components to drive flashing lights and a small speaker, they cost about 20c to make so lots of the profit can be donated.

Radard detectors actually don't work but, stupid people think that they somehow alter the law for them when they switch them on. Poor stupid's.

i saw one on waneroo road day at night after drift finals.

it was like a thin tripod about 1m high off the the ground, with a tiny handheld videocamera on it..

and parked in the carpark was a highway patrol..

definetly did not look like a multanova.. no sign put after it either