SAU Community

High Energy Sump

sxc33

Quick cut and paste;

The oil drain from a turbo operates via gravity. That is, the pressure drop across the turbo bearing is nearly complete and it is only gravity that causes the oil to flow back to the sump. In fact, it cannot really be termed ‘oil’ as after it has passed through the turbo, the oil becomes an aerated foam – one reference suggests it looks like ‘dirty whipped cream’. It’s therefore important that:

• The drain line is much larger in diameter than the pressure feed line
  • The connection to the sump is made above the oil level
  • The drain pipe is kept as close to vertical as possible

If the sump drain joins at a level below the oil, the much lower density of the aerated oil will cause it to sit on top of the sump oil, gradually backing-up to the turbo.

Article taken from;

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2606/printArticle.html

Edited by URAS
  • Like 1

I use the original High Energy design of sump with the square front. I don't like the sloping front design as under brakes the oil surges up the slope like a launching ramp. Then #1 and #2 big ends splash through it on crank rotation, this foams up the oil which is never a good thing. With the square front there is no slope fo the oil to run up, it hits the 90 degree wall and stays below the splash screen.

The resason for the slope is to clear the standard swaybar. But let's face it, if your car needs a HE sump then it sure as hell needs a bigger front swaybar than standard. If you already have an upgraded swaybar then they are an easy sell, with that money you can buy one designed to clear the sump.

Cheers

Gary

I use the original High Energy design of sump with the square front. I don't like the sloping front design as under brakes the oil surges up the slope like a launching ramp. Then #1 and #2 big ends splash through it on crank rotation, this foams up the oil which is never a good thing. With the square front there is no slope fo the oil to run up, it hits the 90 degree wall and stays below the splash screen.

The resason for the slope is to clear the standard swaybar. But let's face it, if your car needs a HE sump then it sure as hell needs a bigger front swaybar than standard. If you already have an upgraded swaybar then they are an easy sell, with that money you can buy one designed to clear the sump.

Cheers

Gary

Very interesting.. where would one get one of these aforementioned swaybars?

Very interesting.. where would one get one of these aforementioned swaybars?

Whiteline only sell catalogued part numbers, so they don't have one. I don't think KMac have a design, but you might want to check with them. I do know Selbys Swaybars definitely have a design for R32/33/34 with HE sumps because I did it while I was there. Plus I have one on my R32GTST.

Cheers

Gary

Gary - i've edited your thread.

Considering you dont respond to PM's (one i sent about your trading 6-8months ago), and have a very poor record of trading/resonding with numerous complaints in the last 12 months.

You are no longer able to trade on SAU after you're 'break' from SAU... even if you've been posted on IPRA forums constantly.

Discussion will not be entered into, and i suggest all users thing carefully about engaging in any dealings.

Feel lucky that you were not banned.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Pics!

I've already ordered my ASR sump (decided not to go High Energy after I found out the ASR sumps are made by High Energy), but still keen to see what Lewis Engines have done.

• 1 month later...

well just thought id put up that i got my high energy oil pan (long wait but not in hurry) very nice work, clean work and gates move freely, highly recomended, just a question for asr oil pans if he come on much, how come there are two different designs of oil pans between the just jap ones and the ones sourced through et performance products? i know the et ones are 8.5 ltrs and the just jap ones are 6.5, but why the different design?

lewis engines are my choice. they are local but that's not my reason. darren told me the drift sumps @ $399 have baffling etc and the circuit sumps at $599 have a one way corridor and extra baffling etc all the sumps fit no worries, including rb's in to silvia etc.

lewisengines.com.au

The ASR sump I got from justjap is exactly the same setup as my mates High Energy sump (minus a bit of capacity due to the chamfered leading edge). It has all the same baffles and the same 4 gates.

• 4 weeks later...
well just thought id put up that i got my high energy oil pan (long wait but not in hurry) very nice work, clean work and gates move freely, highly recomended, just a question for asr oil pans if he come on much, how come there are two different designs of oil pans between the just jap ones and the ones sourced through et performance products? i know the et ones are 8.5 ltrs and the just jap ones are 6.5, but why the different design?

Sorry All, Haven't had time to get on the comp.

There is NO physical external difference between the Just Jap pans and the ET Perf.(High Energy) pans.

As I have previously stated, We make both ASR and HE pans.

I think you might be comparing a Race pan with our Street pans (S/S or S/C), two completely different designs for different applications. The Street pans are the entry level pans designed for street use (6.5 Litre capacity). The race version is obviously designed for racing (8.5 Litre capacity).

The only difference between ASR and HE is the internals.

The ASR pans are generally more complex and contain more, as we update our designs.

The capacity of all the oilpans is engraved next to the Drain plug on all ASR and High Energy oilpans, along with a serial number that corresponds only to our work history logs. That will tell us: When it was built, What it is and Who it was for, as we do pans for many other Suppliers/Speed Shops.

If anyone would like to query a serial number of any ASR or HE pan they have feel free to email [email protected].

Thanks

Ben

(ASR Oilpans)