SAU Community

Rb26 Throttle Bodies

Well i've seen alot of people cleaning Rb26 throttle bodies and ending up with high idle problems.

I am prepping the engine to go into the car and was thinking of cleaning the throttle bodies as it would be much easier to do now as the engine is out.

Is there any "safe" method to go about cleaning them without removing the sealant or whatever Nissan put there?

I looked at it today and all i can see is a fine grey line right around where the butterfly sits when it is closed...Is this the seal?

Or should i just leave it as is????

ive cleaned 2 different sets on 2 different rb26s and never had an issue, sounds like all your doing is cleaning all the built up stuff around the throttle plate which is sealing it 100% and then when u install it with a slight leak around it just needs a slight adjustment of the idle valve to suit, though on both of mine i have never had to touch the idle valve and its perfectly normal.

i would like to see proper proof of this "coating" which is not visable in the slightest when looking at them.

Unless you want the "high idle" problem, leave them alone. You can't see them so they don't need to look "pretty".

agreed, dont clean them, they have a clear coating internally, there is a chance that the cleaning solvent u use may lift this thin lining and "yes" you will have a high idle which you wont be able to get down...

they should be cleaned in a hot spray bath not in solvent... just a tip.

Can they be dipped in hot water with mild soap and cleaned with a soft brush? Will this get off the carbon gunk?

My only concern with this method is them becoming warped.

What do u think?

Are you experiencing a problem you think is related to dirty throttle bodies right now, or are you just getting the urge to clean something? If the later, may a suggest a good coat of wax and some tire shine :down: Seriously though, if there is not currently a problem, I'd leave it be.

also stripped mine and cleaned them while building the engine.. no problems at all

and what clear coating?? theres nothing there.. i used solvents :)

when i say solvent i mean not the acid bath at your local machine shop :P

we use a strong carb cleaning solvent if we dont have access to the hot steam bath (same thing they clean cynlinder heads with)

I suppose its best to point out simply to those who want to clean the TB's that you use something that your sure wont dissovle / attack rubber or plastic.... if unsure stick to carby clean (can version) and a tooth brush.

Edited by URAS

when i say solvent i mean not the acid bath at your local machine shop :P

we use a strong carb cleaning solvent if we dont have access to the hot steam bath (same thing they clean cynlinder heads with)

So could you use a steam cleaner safely on these? or would I be better using some carby cleaner on them? I'm looking at removing the carbon build up around the throttle bodies while I have them off the car at the moment.

• 5 months later...

ANyone tried this stuff

http://justjap.com/store/product.php?produ...=265&page=4

to summarize

""Tomei throttle coat

Lubrication & Sealing of the Throttle Butterfly

Tomei Throttle Coat will aid with the performance in smooth opening and closing of the butterfly which will increase throttle response. The lubrication properties will also aid by preventing the throttle from sticking and to eliminate rough idling and/or engine stalling. Improved sealing properties and efficient engine operations. ""

have been wondering about this to as reassembling motor soon!

Edited by noone

I've just had to replace all inlet gaskets including throttle body and plenum after nik at allstar garage discovered I had a vacuum leak when they were installing a nistune. He warned me not to alter anything on the linkages or anything that looks like it can be adjusted as they can be a nightmare to re-set. Maybe this is were people are having problems if they adjust something without realizing it.

I thoroughly cleaned mine with carby cleaner when they were off and i've had no problems. In fact the idle is the best its ever been.

• 1 month later...

looking a Dcieve's post his throttle bodys have a black finish inside

is this the coating everyone is on about???

is it safe to clean the throttle plates and the area they seal against mine appear to have alot of carbon buildup??

thinking just carby cleaner rags toothbrush etc??

Edited by noone

okay would the info in this thread work

is it the same idea as the Tomie stuff I posted above????

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ni...+throttle++body

my throttle bodys look more like this ie silver bare inner walls only with more carbon build up

than the black inner walls in dcieves pic above

Am starting to worry bout this now

Me car developed an idle hunting problem after a drive through the hunter one day. I remember the accelorator stop fell off and I put the loud pedal all the way down. Could this strectch the accelorator cable or disrupt any other linkages to cause a problem?

ive cleaned 2 different sets on 2 different rb26s and never had an issue, sounds like all your doing is cleaning all the built up stuff around the throttle plate which is sealing it 100% and then when u install it with a slight leak around it just needs a slight adjustment of the idle valve to suit, though on both of mine i have never had to touch the idle valve and its perfectly normal.

i would like to see proper proof of this "coating" which is not visable in the slightest when looking at them.

agreed, we do every engine we build, just make sure not to use anything too agressive.