SAU Community

Rb26 Oil Mods

duff

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn't you?

You need to add more to accommodate for the oil that runs around the oil cooler otherwise if you just overfill one litre, so minus one litre for the oil cooler, you are totally back to square one again with regards to how much oil is in the sump.

** use of '1 litre' is only an example amount.

I think Richard would perhaps disagree with the whole 'add 1L' thing anyway, but his post means you still only add 1 extra litre to what is normally required in the car in question. Not 2 LOL.

Wouldn't it be overfull with 2 extra litres, even with an oil cooler? as in the oil would cavitate?

You mean that the crank would 'pick up' the oil, and loose hp?

Once you install an oil cooler, first time you fill up with oil it would take more than 5 litres.

Then if you do an oil change there is still oil trapped in the oil cooler and lines so you would add as much as you usually would to suit, as if there was no cooler.(unless you drain the oil cooler as well...)

Wouldn't it be overfull with 2 extra litres, even with an oil cooler? as in the oil would cavitate?

1 litre - example amount remember. Put 500ml there for all it means

Its commonly accepted that you overfill 1 litre in the stock format.... so add an oil cooler - you'll need more

Im pretty sure ash means 2 litres more than if it didnt have an oil cooler, not fill it to th efull mark and add 2 litres.

:D

I was one of the GTRs that did the bigend bearing and i have all the mods BAR the oil return from the back of the head.

Mods done

: Larger sump with tomei sump baffles

: Tomei oil restrictors with returns enlarged

: I over filled on the day

I would say Revs and the frist sweeping turn did me in i was holding it in 4th down the straight maybe 8500rpm or so as my 4wd was playing up and getting power done was more wheel spin the grip lol.

But it still gave up the ghost so i say fit it when it breaks.

damn, that sucks :)

bozodos: I have lunched the bearings in a 25 at the track... but it had zero oil control mods at the time, no oil cooler and I was on my 7th hot lap in a row :P... I don't think they are as bad as 26's for oil control but you can still kill them

Sorry of topic a little someone mentioned there RB26 takes 5.1 litres of oil, i dont understand as my R32 gtr takes 6.3litres give or take to fill no oil cooler stock sump, and i change the oil always so im sure of this 100%.

What is going on why are there so many different opinions on sump capacity for the 26 please someone. :P

Sorry of topic a little someone mentioned there RB26 takes 5.1 litres of oil, i dont understand as my R32 gtr takes 6.3litres give or take to fill no oil cooler stock sump, and i change the oil always so im sure of this 100%.

What is going on why are there so many different opinions on sump capacity for the 26 please someone. :P

The service manual states: 4.2 liters for oil only change, or 4.6 liters with oil filter. It also states that the low level mark on the dipstick is 3.5l and the high mark is 4.5 l. Oil cooler wont make any difference to the fill unless you drain it, or the valve is broken and it just drains under gravity.

AFAIK everyone with the stock sump uses pretty much 5 liters. Are you SURE you have a stock sump?

Yeah Mr Kotter i have stock sump well i think that i do it looks the same as all the others i will check in the next few days as i am due for an oil change.

Its weird i know but from the day i bought the car and did the first oil change i noticed that it took more than what should have. The design looks the same and i have done enough oil changes in my time on trucks and various makes and models to know how to look at a dipstick.

Well i will definately look into this as its a mystery. :P

yeah i guess that makes sense but if i where running 2litres more in my sump for 2 years would something have happened by now with so much extra oil. I mean i hear of guys running 1 litre more for track but gosh ive would have been using 2 litres more all this time and the car has never missed a beat ever. Point taken and will check that also cheers for the input.

No there are no welds anywhere, i will get under the car again and double check the sump and dipstick the more i think about it now the more i want to put and end to this riddle of mine that i have wondered about for so long.

The service manual states: 4.2 liters for oil only change, or 4.6 liters with oil filter. It also states that the low level mark on the dipstick is 3.5l and the high mark is 4.5 l. Oil cooler wont make any difference to the fill unless you drain it, or the valve is broken and it just drains under gravity.

AFAIK everyone with the stock sump uses pretty much 5 liters. Are you SURE you have a stock sump?

thank you. if you have an oil cooler, and add 2 litres to your oil change. it will be 2 litres over full. which is bad. if you want 1 litre over, just add 1 litre. no matter how many oil coolers you have.

im sure that i have no oil cooler i have had front bar of plenty of times when installing my intercooler and have purchased the oil filter relocation kit also, my gosh with the oil cooler it will take 8.5 litres of oil my god.

• 1 year later...

What about for normal driving, and occasional hillclimb's / mountain runs..

Do you guy's all overfill your cars with oil? I've always been under the impression that "Full" oil meant it should be o.k

I want to avoid a rebuild as well.. but i am a sensible driver, and i dont thrash my car. Only rev it to like 5-6krpm up the mountain..