SAU Community

R34 Gt Door Insert Trim

jayr

hi guys i need your help with this 1...im planning to do a vinyl trim on my door insert....just wondering what is the best way to take that grey fabric off...dunno the proper name for it lol....do i just force it out coz i dont see no clippines or screw... thanks in advance

yeah i did took off the door insert of the car...no clips no screw....i had to rip the cotton fabric off...lol..kinda scary at first but all good now...i'll post some pics tmorrow once i finish the second door....cheers...

i took my door trim off yesterday. I see what you mean by no clips, its just tucked into a grove in the trim. How did you get it in the grove? did you use a screw driver or something similar?

...Yeah flat head screw driver..n when i bought my heatgun it cam with 10 pieces of tools...tools for shaping the vinyl into grove.....HEATGUN is the best tools to use coz you can manipulate the fabric when its warn n easy tucked in....TAKE YOUR TIME... pic will be on tomorow coz i got a shittt cam...its not a pro job but im pleased with it...show me pics of yours too...cheers///\\]

The best thing to do is stick the vinyl straight onto the cloth because the vinyl wont stick as well to the surface behind the cloth and will probably come unstuck very soon.

theres a DIY leather retrim kit on ebay. i think it covers this part of the car too. they might give instructions on how to remove/install etc. just search leather or something similar under the car section

• 2 months later...

Rather than starting a new thread i figure ill dig up this old one, does anyone know, how to properly re-trim the R34 door inserts/trim piece

Going on the above, the old material needs to just be ripped out basically and the new stuff tucked into the trim piece.

That said, how would you get the new vinyl/material, to stick to the curves of the door plastic? glue perhaps?

just did mine this weekend on my GTT, in black suede with metalized embroidered logo for shows

fronts will be carbon fiber bottoms and panels, suede inserts.... factory top bits , customized to hold 4 speakers in each door, in a sealed box

bit odd how nissan didnt make that part come off but instead glued the cloth in the groove??? most other cars are stuck on with screws or melted on plugs etc.

yeah i'm lazy and left em on.. it's a five min process really.. just rip off the original fabric.. use it to trace around on your new fabric (best is to trace on the back so no border is left, i used white so everything shows at front) then just apply the glue and stick away..

i used a small brush to carefully apply the glue in the fold and then a flat head screwdriver to insert new material down the fold.. then a cloth for any excess that may have come out from over zelous application of the glue :P

Thanks for the answers guys,

Sapphire - care to share some pics :D

sure but no laughing..lol post them up later today

hint the glue and old stuff comes right off without drama, just soak it in wax and grease remover first. better then screw driver scraping.

and wont damage the plastic if rinsed off after with water then dried , after your done put on some new interior protector to get rid of the dull look after using above methods.

use with care disclaimer. Becareful wax and grease cleaner can kill some plastics and cloth. but in most cases wont on door trims and seats.

and will dry your skin out till it cracks and bleeds. so use latex gloves .

PS take the panels off to do them right. !!!

yeah i'm lazy and left em on.. it's a five min process really.. just rip off the original fabric.. use it to trace around on your new fabric (best is to trace on the back so no border is left, i used white so everything shows at front) then just apply the glue and stick away..

i used a small brush to carefully apply the glue in the fold and then a flat head screwdriver to insert new material down the fold.. then a cloth for any excess that may have come out from over zelous application of the glue :D

lol, you too should post up some pics, interested to see this job you did!

sure but no laughing..lol post them up later today

hint the glue and old stuff comes right off without drama, just soak it in wax and grease remover first. better then screw driver scraping.

and wont damage the plastic if rinsed off after with water then dried , after your done put on some new interior protector to get rid of the dull look after using above methods.

use with care disclaimer. Becareful wax and grease cleaner can kill some plastics and cloth. but in most cases wont on door trims and seats.

and will dry your skin out till it cracks and bleeds. so use latex gloves .

PS take the panels off to do them right. !!!

Come to think of it, it probably would be a good idea to take the door skins off to do it so that you can pop the window controls out and get the fabric right in behind there