SAU Community

Civic Or 180sx?

mmz.. depends on what your intentions are when you get the car really?

Are you going to spend $$ on it for looks or speed? or ... just to save $$ on petrol?

good luck with the choice...

at the end of the day its your first car.... not the last!

• 3 weeks later...

for the simple fact you are only having it for a year or so, i'd go a civic, sure the 180 could potentially look better or go faster, but it's more likely to break down, i wouldn't want to spend any money on a car i was planning to get rid off.

for the simple fact you are only having it for a year or so, i'd go a civic, sure the 180 could potentially look better or go faster, but it's more likely to break down, i wouldn't want to spend any money on a car i was planning to get rid off.

One thing i'd be looking at, is jumping in a 308 powered LJ Torana (despite what some people on this forum think, LJ torana's are very light. lighter than 180SX infact) which would have quite the power-to-weight ratio from a FWD civic? If you get the 180SX, as least you'll know what a somewhat powerful RWD car feels like - which means you don't have to go home and tell daddy you wrapped the LJ around a pole.

Yes, I'd own a 180SX over a 308 LJ anyday, but that's not the point. I know what I'd be doing..

other thing you have to remember is that the LJ torana is still going to handle like a 30 year old car no matter whan you do, LOL.

even though this thread is a month old i will still post up cause i'm bored.

so you can visiually modify a civic for 6k, and are bodykits for 180sx's that much more expensive? i don't think so. with your 6k you could get a full kit, some wheels and the a full exhaust, fmic and boost controller

Nothing against the 308 LJ but they are a shocking handling thing. You sit behind the wheel and the steering wheel is off centre. Factor in the cost and effort to get a 308 in there - not really worthwhile considering an LH or LX came with 308 standard and arent really that much heavier than the 308 LJ. Sure they may have been a good handler with a light 202 and Brockie behind the wheel. But with a 308- Lead tipped arrow ?

yeah i dont no which 180, just some 180, can someone tell me the new laws and what states they apply in?

My understanding is with the exception of WA & NT, all other states in Australia have car restrictions for P platers. Ie its either you are banned from driving most turbo or V8 or its the power to weight ratio thing.

6-7 K can get you a good condition b16a powered EG hatch

or a rough body b18c (not type r) powered EG

alot turbo boys seem to like dissing the ftw hondas but u should be carefull these little pocket rockets can be quick..

my first car was a civic then i bought a gtr but i didnt keep it for long

end of the day if you want to save money for your next car and have a decent looking car with decent power

id say civic

here some run down facts

B16a (jdm spec) 170hp

B18c (jdm spec) 180hp

B18cR 200hp

type r is a light car just over 1 tonne

civic would be around 950 kg.

it's got some good power to weight ratio for some fun.

a lot of turbo boys seem to like dissing any fwd car, LOL

i will pay the civics their dues, yes they can be quick. where they falter is in their small motor. it is the same with any small 4 cylinder motor. you have to ring it's neck to go quick. the missus has a n15 SSS pulsar and i would really recommend them to anyone looking for a small car in NA form. out of a slow corner (low rpm) they will pull harder than a turbo sr20 until about 5000rpm when the turbo will start to keep up and claw back some of the ground it has lost. sure they torque steer a bit (more than some other fwd cars) but they are still great to drive. i'm still trying to convince the missus to let me bolt a turbo on for that little bit extra go though. the torque of the NA plus a turbo at about 5psi and i reakon it would be tops. 5psi would be enough to just make it that little bit happier.

6-7 K can get you a good condition b16a powered EG hatch

or a rough body b18c (not type r) powered EG

alot turbo boys seem to like dissing the ftw hondas but u should be carefull these little pocket rockets can be quick..

my first car was a civic then i bought a gtr but i didnt keep it for long

end of the day if you want to save money for your next car and have a decent looking car with decent power

id say civic

here some run down facts

B16a (jdm spec) 170hp

B18c (jdm spec) 180hp

B18cR 200hp

type r is a light car just over 1 tonne

civic would be around 950 kg.

it's got some good power to weight ratio for some fun.

B16a 160HP

B16a2 170HP :down:

yeah i dont no which 180, just some 180, can someone tell me the new laws and what states they apply in?

in adelaide you can drive any car you like on your P's...one of the perks of living in adelaide :thumbsup:

in adelaide you can drive any car you like on your P's...one of the perks of living in adelaide ;)

It must be the only thing it has going for it, since regular people don't seem to like the place.

If you're only going to own a car for a year, get the cheapest one you can with the best resale. It's a placeholder, so the less you spend on it the more you can spend on the car you actually want.