SAU Community

New Camaro

Its the only car that i am entertaining the idea of buying, all other offering from manufacturers have me shaking my head that i am not going into hock for that.

BUT, with all the drama around GM and GMH these days, is there any indication of them doing RHD models. The Camaro is based on modded VE chassis and was designed to be either LHD or RHD so probable.

About this time last year it was shown in Melb due to all the local work that went into the car and there was talk that if globally, essentially between Aus and UK they coul dsell 4,000units annually then it would be a goer.

So, being OS and not reading all the local rags and magazines...has there been any talk?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From what I've read Holden won't be selling new Camaros in Australia at all (financial crisis), and the only way you'd have one would be an imported one with a RHD conversion.

BUT, with all the drama around GM and GMH these days, is there any indication of them doing RHD models.

As a result of the GFC / GM's bankruptcy the organisation will be decreasing its range and focusing on cars that are profitable etc.

Further to this, GMH were unable to present a business case in the current market for a RHD Camaro and it will therefore not be built in RHD. Perhaps if things change by the time a series II comes out it may be considered again?? However, right now both GM and GMH are looking at offering less model rather than more.

Edited by r32line

I would scratch the camaro off your list of cars you want to buy as your not going to see it over here. GM has just dumped the Pontiac range and won't be importing the VE anymore so I can't see how they'd send the Camaro over here unless Holden gets the tooling for the body and starts making them in Australia.

There is a lot of talk going around about GM and Chrysler being forced to merge so there may not even be a GM in the future.

You should just buy a R34 GT-R it's a better car.

The new camaro was on my list of cars to buy before i bought the gtr but when i read into GM selling in Aus i found that the US has different emission laws to us so most of the time they will only sell the V6 here. (waste of time)

i might be wrong, hope i am; if so then 'gtr for sale'

http://carshowroom.com.au/Review.aspx?id=458

Fair dinkum fellas.......

Heres some facts!

Performax International are the company bringing them in, I did see something on the tele recently which quoted them @ app 150k finished. The dash is a full mirror mould conversion that was apparently un-pickable.

If someone does a challenger I wouldn't think twice..Mmmm

Press release from 3 days ago.

Queensland company Performax International, Australia's leading importer and converter of US-built cars and sports trucks, expects to receive its first brand new Chevrolet Camaro in the next few weeks. Performax technicians will then get straight to work to convert this iconic American sports coupe to right-hand drive and to ensure it meet all Australian compliance requirements

The Camaro will then be on offer to Australian enthusiasts. "It will be competitively priced here and ready for registration with a seamless right-hand drive conversion, full Australian Design Rule compliance and factory warranty," says Performax International General Manager Nicholas Vandenberg, who described the Camaro as a "fabulous car". It is, he says, one of the most keenly awaited new American vehicles in years and that Performax is determined to be the first to offer this iconic American muscle car to Australian customers. "We were lucky to get one so soon", he adds.

"The right-hand drive Camaros that roll out of our Sunshine Coast factory will look, feel and perform exactly as they would in their home country,"

"We expect extremely strong demand for the Camaro in Australia," says Mr Vandenburg. "Since its launch in the United States recently it's received nothing but great reviews for its performance, handling and design."

Mr Vandenberg says he expects an efficient turn-around on conversion and compliance thanks to Performax's experience with government requirements and its industry leading computer-aided design and engineering facilities.

"After 20 years' experience and thousands of conversions, we are able to do this work faster than anyone else and to the highest engineering standards.

"Also, we have recently introduced high-tech equipment that enables us to produce injection-moulded plastic components such as dashboards, air-conditioning ducting, consoles, switch panels and other interior components to factory-original standards of appearance and precision.

Performax International will keep potential buyers and enthusiasts informed of the conversion progress with regular updates and photographs on the dedicated Camaro page at and hopes to have its first car completed before the end of the year.

Performax do excellent work, my brother bough a new GMC truck from them & a fifth wheeler caravan.

Definately recommend them. The new Camaro is damn sexy (loved that bit in transformers) & looks

great from any angle.

Would be a hard call though if they are north of $150k 'cause that is getting to R35 GTR money & while the

Camaro is a horn looking car I would be surprised if it would be as capable as the R35.

If a "cruiser" is your scene I would not hesitate. Just a pity they have to be over $100k.

If Holden brought them in in RHD for around $80k they would sell like hotcakes for sure.

Specially if Megan Fox comes with it for the first coupde of weeks!!!

If a "cruiser" is your scene I would not hesitate. Just a pity they have to be over $100k.

If Holden brought them in in RHD for around $80k they would sell like hotcakes for sure.

Yeh, in my eyes no car is worth 150k. LOL, maybe that just reflects my income or my acceptance for my propensity to bend / damage cars :P But i can easily sell myself on buying an 80k car that i adore and all going to plan would never sell. The alternative is a 68 and get it converted which will most likely end up around the 50-60k, but having owned a 427 65 Impala i would much prefer that styling and sound in a more modern package without the headaches that would come from using it as a daily

Since GM are hard up for cash, i dont understand why a model that would be a real money turner for them gets canned. At around 370Z money they would be the best value car by a mile, especally with the 300kw direct injetion 6L.

Oh well, back to dreaming

LOL, thats assuming i like/want an R34. Great car, but not for me...i am white trash thru and thru...white trash = Camaro

hmmm they look fantastic... from a distance... but have you been up close/in one Roy? there are PLENTY better cars for 100K+

I would love a Vette... if I lived in the US I could afford one and they are the epitome of bang for buck... but by the time you get them over here and on the road they are no longer a performance bargain... sadly

Really, name them? :P About the only other car i want is an Exige, but i dont doubt that day to day they would soon wear a bit thin whilst commuting based on living with the softer S2 Elise for 4 days

I saw a few at Lang Langs the other week at Dutton, they were under tarps...so lol havent really seen one. :P

......................... <--- insert definition of "better" and some justification here. Your kind of people really don't buy your cars for looks do you?

madbung I also prefer the Challenger to the Camaro. And for your information, there is a company who do them now: www.suv.net.au

Any fans of these cars should read Unique Cars, if not already doing so...there are tons of advertisements for conversions and imports of American cars.

Edited by Birds

......................... <--- insert definition of "better" and some justification here. Your kind of people really don't buy your cars for looks do you?

what looks/feels good to some may not be the same as your idea of what looks/feels good, no need to talk down to people and be such a toss.

i'd prob have a new 6L camaro over a 34 gtr too for what its worth

Apparently all the infrastructure is there to build it RHD at the canadian plant, but GM isn't planning on spending the $30mil in tooling to get it up un running in the current financial situation.

Give it 12-24 months, and it may be an entirely different story - carmakers are notorious for changing their minds at shot notice. Remember RR's decree that 'we will never build a convertible Phantom' or Porsche never building a sedan?

what looks/feels good to some may not be the same as your idea of what looks/feels good, no need to talk down to people and be such a toss.

i'd prob have a new 6L camaro over a 34 gtr too for what its worth

Shut up you twit, that was my point all along. Read the whole thread. I was having a go at 240k for suggesting that Roy buy an R34 instead because "it's a better car" (which, sounding alot like an objetive statement, is just stupid to make without providing a context for which it is "better" in anyway)...seemingly forgetting that people buy cars for different reasons, including aesthetics which I pointed out with my second statement.

Really, name them? :P About the only other car i want is an Exige, but i dont doubt that day to day they would soon wear a bit thin whilst commuting based on living with the softer S2 Elise for 4 days

I saw a few at Lang Langs the other week at Dutton, they were under tarps...so lol havent really seen one. :wub:

oooh Exige... if I could afford one I would live with it day to day... man up Roy!

do you really want a brand new car though? so much money to be saved buying something a couple of years old

what's the performance of the Camaro like? I imagine even a last generation M3 (6 pot) would hand it its arse when you threw in a few corners... pity Toyota haven't brought out that wicked V10 Supra yet... that would be my pick but its not being produced?

Shut up you twit, that was my point all along. Read the whole thread. I was having a go at 240k for suggesting that Roy buy an R34 instead because "it's a better car" (which, sounding alot like an objetive statement, is just stupid to make without providing a context for which it is "better" in anyway)...seemingly forgetting that people buy cars for different reasons, including aesthetics which I pointed out with my second statement.

lol, tosser. internet wars excite you a bit eh? move on bud