SAU Community

M35 Tare Weight

GlennM35

Hi there!

My name's Glenn and I'm pretty new to the forum, been lurking a couple of weeks though...

I recently bought a nice M35 Stagea from QLD and drove it down to Canberra for registration. While it was going over the pits at Dickson Motor Registry the technicians needed to know the weight of the carm which I couldn't find in any of my paperwork. They joked with me that the car probably weighed about 2000kg... I then remembered and told them that the SEVS register has them listed at 1680kg. Anyway they said to save me time going to a weigh bridge they'd just look up the VIN online. So the guy came back a few minutes later and said it was listed as 1965kg!!! I thought he was pulling my leg but then he showed me the printout from the web. However while they were doing the brake testing, the car registered 1765kg on the machine, with me in it. They didn't seem to care though, and I guess I shouldn't too much as it's not costing me any extra for rego.

I am interested though to find out how this could happen? It just seems pretty weird. :bunny:

I've tried using the VIN search on the DOTARS website but it says there's no records found?

Has anyone else had this oversight when registering their imports?

Glenn

Weigh bridges are like bathroom scales*... no two are the same.

* and dyno's and speed camera's and vehicle speedo's and most Chinese made stuff and....

Edited by iamhe77

Just looking through my Hyper Rev #67 and it lists two different weights for M35's.

The first is gross weight, but I do not know what the second is as I cannot (yet) read Japanese (adds 275kg to gross weight).

I also decided to throw in the stock tyre sizes for each model so everyone can figure out the best wheel/tyre size when upgrading to keep their speedo as accurate as possible.

250RSV - 1560/1835kg (GH-M35) wheel/tyre size - 215/55/17 93V

250RS - 1550/1825kg (GH-M35) wheel/tyre size - 205/65/16 95S

250tRS Four V - 1680/1955kg (GH-NM35) wheel/tyre size - 215/55/17 93V

250RS Four - 1650/1925kg (GH-NM35) wheel/tyre size - 215/55/17 93V

300RX - 1590/1865kg (GH-HM35) wheel/tyre size - 215/55/17 93V

250RX - 1560/1835kg (GH-M35) wheel/tyre size - 205/65/16 95S

250t RX Four - 1680/1955kg (GH-NM35) wheel/tyre size - 215/55/17 93V

250RX Four - 1660/1935kg (GH-NM35) wheel/tyre size - 205/65/16 95S

AR-X Four - 1720/1995kg (GH-NM35) wheel/tyre size - 225/55/18 97H

Edited by iamhe77

Ah so it seems that they've managed to go off of the second figure for some reason.

I wonder what would weigh 275kg? 4 passengers + a tank of fuel?

Well at least it's nice to know that it wasn't just some arbitrary number or a typo, maybe.

factory weight is generally without anything, no oil, water, spare tyre etc

if its 'wet' it has all fluids, and pretty much as it would be driving on the road (not sure if they include a full tank), on oz when they are imported, they chuck them on the weighbridge, the driver stays in, all his crap etc stays in blah blah. wheels can make a difference too, plus 80L fuel=~80Kg.........

The GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) includes the full compliment of passengers. fuel and luggage. It used for determining the most the car will weigh for things like the tyre loading.

Cheers

Gary

The GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) includes the full compliment of passengers. fuel and luggage. It used for determining the most the car will weigh for things like the tyre loading.

Cheers

Gary

:)

Fair enough, but I can't imagine that 5 adults, 80L of fuel and a fully packed wagon would only increase weight by 275kg.

I mean, I know the average Japanese adult is lighter than the average Australian adult, but still!

I was working out weight distribution / corner weighting on my track car a while ago and if you want to work out wet kerb weight you'll find that the Specific gravity of gasoline is 0.739, so that means that a litre of gas = 0.739Kg, so it's 25% lighter than a litre of water. So on a full 80L M35 tank you'd be looking at 59Kg

wow i had no idea it was lighter than water. sounds right though, it floats on water lol

You got it, floats on watter like oil so it has to be lighter :P

Cheers

Gary

1825 GVM listed on my NZ ownership papers, very interesting on a technical note that they list the GVM for a car instead of its actual kerb/tare weight. Legally for trucks exceeding the GVM (usually 65tonne for a truck that operates at say 44 tonne legal max in NZ) is a seperate offence from being overloaded as well (you have to be overloaded to exceed a GVM). Another legal trap fro the unwary ???? Five fat people in stagea with boot full of gear and full tank???

:pirate:

Fair enough, but I can't imagine that 5 adults, 80L of fuel and a fully packed wagon would only increase weight by 275kg.

I mean, I know the average Japanese adult is lighter than the average Australian adult, but still!

From memory Nissan do their base weight with a full tank of fuel and the driver. So the 275 kgs increase to GVM is for 4 passengers and luggage, say 60 kgs each plus say 35 kgs of luggage.

Cheers

Gary

From memory Nissan do their base weight with a full tank of fuel and the driver. So the 275 kgs increase to GVM is for 4 passengers and luggage, say 60 kgs each plus say 35 kgs of luggage.

Cheers

Gary

LOL at 60kg... unless you are talking all female passengers :pirate:

Edited by iamhe77

Vic Roads just made it up....

When he came to that part of the form, he looked around, had a bit of a think, and just wrote 1,550. "It can't weigh as much as a Falcon...."

So does this mean that I have the lightest AR-X in Australia?

Maybe it was full of helium?

Cant weigh as much as a falcon lol. Actually I think the new falcons are a bit heavier (same with new commodores) but all stageas are heavier than pre-2006? falcons.

There's only ~20-30 kg difference between s1/s2 stageas and the M35 too.

Threw my RS on the weighbridge at work (we weigh milk tankers in then on the way out) 1760kg with 80kg driver. So 1680kg, tank more or less full.