SAU Community

Damn Hoons...

cell

i think its more a reality that needs to be faced damo. very few went in that argument with an open mind.

serious question though has hooning really increased or has it just increased in newspaper space? i dont know cause i dont clock as many k's as i used to. i say less if anything.

hooning hasnt increased. and if it has, its marginal. just the amount of time it gets in the media has increased exponentially. hooning makes for a good distraction.

who cares about the hospital, the obvious problems with the parole board, with prisons, and with the retarded tram extension re-extension when you can announce that youre making a difference stamping out the unruly anti social hoon element in the community? an element that the public is only aware of thanks to a few stand out morons, and the 'free' media.

im gonna give up cars and take up murdering. you spend less time in prison when your hobby is killin folk.

Edited by scandyflick

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe the numbers in hooning haven't gone up much, but the devastating consequences have gotten more horrific. Its called "risk compensation". Cars are supposedly safer, so drivers take bigger risks. When it goes wrong, it goes wrong horrifically more so than previous years. The new technology (ABS, air bags etc) won't do you much good when people still get around with worn brakes, bald tyres, and generally unsafe cars. Its too easy to get your license and drivers are not experienced nor responsible enough for today's high powered cars.

10 years ago you didn't hear about a Skyline and WRX drag racing and crashing ... being ripped apart, and legs being ripped off. The hoons are making a bigger mess, so the media can't help but run their stories.

When hoons stop having horrific crashes, the media will have nothing to report.

Edited by RubyRS4

I know Nightcrawler has mentioned this before and I tend to agree with him.

A little as 6 or 7 years ago, the only peeps that were driving around in Turbo Skylines or Rex's were generally in their mid 20's and up.

As the cars have gotten more affordable over recent years, they've fallen into the hands of teenage kids who can't possibly (due to lack of experience) respect the power of these things.

And if you tell me that you can be killed just as easily in a 1200cc Corolla, I aint buying it.........you're more likely to test the outer limits of a turbo Skyline or Rex than a little crap box that's only good for the odd donut!

dude, shouldve seen me when i first started driving the magna. granted its rather a bit larger than 1200... but i did some seriously insane shit in that thing. things i will never attempt in the s14. lucky it didnt kill me really.

dude, shouldve seen me when i first started driving the magna. granted its rather a bit larger than 1200... but i did some seriously insane shit in that thing. things i will never attempt in the s14. lucky it didnt kill me really.

Yep, i had a TP Magna, sliding sideways in a dirt carpark + FWD = near death.

And if you tell me that you can be killed just as easily in a 1200cc Corolla, I aint buying it.........you're more likely to test the outer limits of a turbo Skyline or Rex than a little crap box that's only good for the odd donut!

yeah but your alot richer than your average kid and hence that skyline is about the relative price tag of a pos to you. if every dollar you earnt went into a car im pretty sure you would be a lil scared about scratching the thing. say if you got your self a ferrari enzo and didnt have anything else no house or nothing, would you be drifting it or living in constant fear of the 4wd sitting too close behind you. But thats me there are people out there that just dont give a f about costs n consequences of there actions.

10 yrs ago there were how many wrx's in the country? they only started making them in 95 i believe. and just a thought if there was a street racing accident 10yrs ago would it be reported as such n be put in the paper or would it have been ignored for something more interesting for people to read about.

the overall picture dont matter as much as these 2 individual instances as they are easier to report on. simmilar things happen in accounting when big companys collapse and lots of people lose money. regulations increase just to show they are doing something about it regardless on wether it is a regular issue that could effect other companys or not. im not saying its not a issue that needs to be looked at, its always been an issue. just they suddenly acting like jeez its ww3 on our streets, cars are racing and people dieing everyday. this just started 2 yrs ago when generation Y were allowed to own a car

Edited by Inline 6

Rann or the media can't make me do shit, I have a brain...

Unfortunately it's the others out there who don't that are the dangerous ones. Only way against it, vote for someone other than Labor at the next election. I sure as shit will be. Whether or not the laws will be removed after they are in however is another story all together

haahahahaahahahahah x a million.

It's cute you think your so independent, free-thinking, ave freewill, if push comes to shove you'll be surprised what you'll do.

haahahahaahahahahah x a million.

It's cute you think your so independent, free-thinking, ave freewill, if push comes to shove you'll be surprised what you'll do.

I fail to see your argument?

LOL Dan, if I had an Enzo I would definitely kill myself and anyone else within a 500 metre radius! :P

dude if you messed up an enzo there could be a mob chasing you for blood, wait a min 1 fool got away with writing off 1 :P wasnt even his enzo. damn you pimp from duce bigalow

Edited by Inline 6

Maybe the numbers in hooning haven't gone up much, but the devastating consequences have gotten more horrific. Its called "risk compensation". Cars are supposedly safer, so drivers take bigger risks. When it goes wrong, it goes wrong horrifically more so than previous years. The new technology (ABS, air bags etc) won't do you much good when people still get around with worn brakes, bald tyres, and generally unsafe cars. Its too easy to get your license and drivers are not experienced nor responsible enough for today's high powered cars.

10 years ago you didn't hear about a Skyline and WRX drag racing and crashing ... being ripped apart, and legs being ripped off. The hoons are making a bigger mess, so the media can't help but run their stories.

When hoons stop having horrific crashes, the media will have nothing to report.

some good points. However.

Why would they run a story on a skyline a few weeks back that hit a pole with no injurys and the car wasnt even written off? Obvious echo to the previous crashes etc. People in normal cars run into each other everyday. tailgating. speeding etc. We dont hear about that. Because it doesnt feed the now famous word hoon.

There have been people ripping of arms legs etc. It was more a page 34 story then. Now its a front page big writting story.

Here's another stat that media Mike refuses to acknowledge.

Mark Borlase of the RAA was recently interviewed by Leon Byner on his talk back show and confirmed that if all the defectable vehicles on the road were to disappear overnight, they would only account for 1% or less of all motor vehicle accidents currently on record.

In other words, 99% or more of vehicles involved in motor vehicle accidents are actually considered good road worthy vehicles............so much for our cars being the death traps that Media Mike makes them out to be!! :banana:

Excessive speed, alcohol & substance abuse and inexperience or inattentiveness are all the contributing factors to motor vehicle accidents............LOL at "Death Traps on Wheels" Mike!! :banana:

YET, we currently have 550 vehicles a week being defected.........revenue raising or keeping SA safe?!

Guess what the No: 1 question is on the SAPOL FAQ website is??

Nothing related to murder, rape, assault, home invasion or robbery!

Q: Who can I report hoon driving to?

A: Any matters relating to hoon or dangerous driving can be reported to your local police station or to the 131444 Police Assistance line. This includes burnouts , donuts, speeding, snaking and other dangerous driving.

Check it: SAPOL Frequently Asked Questions

Yeah well I sure know I'm tempted to "dob" in all the inattentive drivers that I see. Had 2 today.

1) Driving up to 30km/h below the speed limit, wondering on the road, almost failing to give way to other vehicles.

2) Someone in a 4WD pulling out right in front of me

Far more dangerous than a car with a load exhaust taking off quick from some traffic lights IMO.

Maybe the numbers in hooning haven't gone up much, but the devastating consequences have gotten more horrific. Its called "risk compensation".

Not sure what world you live in, but in mine the stats dont back this up.

Last year had the LOWEST recorded death toll ever recorded in SA, and although they are not widly published the casualty rates fron MVA's has also fallen considerably.

This is a politically driven beast, so it is designed to help Mikes popularity and chances at another term in office rather than addressing a serious social issue.

My first car at 16 was a heavy Chrysler Century with a worked 265 Hemi ... my second car at 17 was my (deceased) uncle's street-legal (drag raced) TC Cortina with worked 250 crossflow. Both these cars had alot of grunt, and I was fortunate to grow up in a family of repsonsible motorsport drivers, and they passed on the discipline to me. I even drag raced these things myself at AIR.

The cars today are faster and more powerful, and the discipline is rarely there.

Not sure what world you live in, but in mine the stats dont back this up.

Last year had the LOWEST recorded death toll ever recorded in SA, and although they are not widly published the casualty rates fron MVA's has also fallen considerably.

This is a politically driven beast, so it is designed to help Mikes popularity and chances at another term in office rather than addressing a serious social issue.

You're obviously off in your own world :banana: I didn't say the road toll had increased ... I said maybe the hoon numbers had increased. And the results of accidents from hoon behaviour is getting more horrific, not more regular. Re-read what I said. :banana:

Edited by RubyRS4

Here are some stats pulled from the ABS website, deaths by Motor Vehicle Accident in 2007 account for 1% of the total Deaths in Australia. What would be more interesting would be to see the spending on Roads/Safety Campaigns compared to Hospital Funding and Disease Research.

post-1720-1247817116_thumb.jpg

You're obviously off in your own world :domokun: I didn't say the road toll had increased ... I said maybe the hoon numbers had increased. And the results of accidents from hoon behaviour is getting more horrific, not more regular. Re-read what I said. :/

If you wernt refering to deaths and injuries on the streets, what did you mean to imply when you said "the devastating consequences have gotten more horrific. ....... When it goes wrong, it goes wrong horrifically more so than previous years." ?

I assumed you weren’t referring to scratches in the paintwork.

Surely it’s the advances such as disk brakes, air bags, and crumple zones that have reduced the injuries and fatalities when an accident occurs. It’s the improved power to weight ratios of modern cars that allow inexperienced drivers to get into trouble quicker, but this is also offset to some extent by the improved safety features and better suspension of modern cars.

To date there is no statistical evidence that hoon behaviour is any worse or more frequent than it was with/for previous generations. Have a chat with your olds or grandparents generations and see what some of them got up to. I am certainly unaware of anyone hoons today lobbing sticks of dynamite out of car windows, yet Gelignite Jack was famous for this stunt on the old Redex trials.