SAU Community

Regency Experiences

Steve

I dont like regency either.... they have given me many different answers in regards to a conversion im doing on my 66 skyline gt........ they cant give me any info of specifications to go by...... so what can you do?

Im using a guy info/specs from interstate, that has done a similar conversion and that has been aprooved by the vic governemnt. just wish regency would get their act together were better equipt to help out with the people that need info for vehicle modifications....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I only just joined like last night, but something has to be done about those inspectors down regency. I went there with my 32 gts4t and there was a guy next to me with a 180sx and one inspector asked the other "does that car have the same engine as this one" ? that just goes to show how much they know about imports..

Then again the guy inspecting my car was ok for an inspector, even though he was saying lill jokes about how he would find something wrong with my car.

I took a mates 180 thru regency as he was overseas and the inspector failed him for his mags which he claimed "werent street legal" and then said had to go get engineers certificate. They turned out to be street legal. So who should pay for that engineers certificate? me for having street legal mags? or regency for not knowing what they are talking about ? Yeah so i hope something happens with regency in the future, they r just totally inconsistent..

On another not, how can i resize my picture so that i can see it on my forums posts?

cheers

Guys, I gathered HEAPS of info on current practices both here in SA and interstate - even had info from the US as they are the leaders in emissions control and regulation.

Bottom line is, no body wanted to give any written depositions regarding their problems with SAPOL and Regency. So I was left holding my dick, waiting.

I am now in WA, where life for a modified car owner is SOOOOOO much better - so no longer relevant from my perspective.

What I would recommend is to phone up your local MP and have a good bitch to them. Better still, see them in person. It would be worth mentioning that other states such as QLD, NSW, Vic, WA have systems in place that allow enthusiasts to modify cars, and comply with NATIONAL rule regarding car modification, without it costing them an arm and a leg, ie, exhorbitantly priced engineering and emission reports. Perhaps it could be mentioned that SA is backward in its approach to what is a legit hobby that generates income for thousands of australians, that the rules need clarifying.

Whatever your gripe, hit them with it, and keep hitting them. If enough pollies get enough time being taken up by people that complain about the same thing, they will take notice.

Seriously, it doesnt take long to make a phone call, if you dont like the response, ask for their e-mail address and hit them again. Dont give up, just keep up the pressure. Even if you just get pulled over and hasseled, complain. Complain if you think your mate was badly done by, any excuse. If you dont like it, complain. Better still, drop them a letter, doesnt matter how its scrawled out, outlining your complaint and asking to meet with them to discuss. If they get snowed under with this thing, and it wont just go away, they will have to do something to sort it out.

Without people standing up and saying enough - nothing will ever change. Its only through protest that things seem to happen, and its the benefit of living in a free society. Protest is even more effective when its not just the 'professional' protesters doing it, but the average guy/girl from all walks of life. Even get your mum/dad/brother/sister to complain.

Good luck all.

• 4 weeks later...
yea steve i recall the article well where a bloke was getting defected for his 13BT datsun 1600 (green one I think) and they were going to shaft him so hard, until zoom i believe had a reporter/journalist dude on sight who took photo's and recorded all of the police offers actions. The police threatened to do something to him for hindering police business and then he explained to them his rights are a reporter... following this the defect book was put away and all events prior to the reporter stepping in were forgotten about.

Pretty Fkn dodgy.

NAh sorry dude that is wrong, Ryan got defected, what they did do was let him put the sticker on the car himself after the photo shoot.

EDIT I just realised that you posted that donkeys years ago. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

got defected Friday 10th June for my Nardi(what utter crap) pulled all my gear of the following day( I got it stock so I had most of the standard gear to put back on) booked my car in for the 13 July and found out I couldnt renew my rego bummer no car for a month (seemed little crap to me) Terry from Kansai Automotive pulled some strings and managed to find me a appointment at 8am Sat 18th June morning went down regency guy was great my rear seatbelts didnt seem to want to work he offered to let me go to the compliance joint (5 min away) quickly to change them over then he had a thought and swapped them over and they worked no probs. Big guy Glass goaty he was awesome in and out in 20min My suggestion is be nice and make sure your cars stock ( I dont understand tyring to take a car with mods on it still no wonder it takes a month to get in) and you wont have any probs (hopefully) I still never want to have to go back though.

Im bringing a skyline over from Victoria and have heard various different stories about what's likely to happen when i go down there. Some people said i'd just get a quick looking over and the general plate check....others said it's likely to go over the pits? It has an aftermarket muffler that's pretty quiet and nothing much in the way of mods. Has anyone else had experiences with bringing over cars from interstate???

I recently bought a car in from Queensland.

Do yourself a favour and take it to the Sturt Depot rather than regency park. The guys there were helpful and friendly. My car had a few mods but they looked past these and just checked the VIN and engine number.

Are bleed valves, front strut braces and pod filters illegal?

I also have a jasma 3" cat back exhaust and 18" rims.... are they ok?

I got done the other night for having a turbo timer.... bastards!!!!

I cant believe I have to go to regency for a farkin turbo timer... instead of a cop just inspecting that I have removed it... my car is very clean and not very modded at all.

Can I just remove the turbo timer or do I have to complete remove and wiring wiring related to it as well?

sorry to say, but it depends on what guy you get at Regency, as to what things are legal. It's a bit of pot luck. Generally speaking (from my experiences):

- bleed valve = legal. They seem to only pick on EBCs. But, if it is easy to remove, then I would.

- pod = legal. Must be reasonably secure though - not wobbling around all over the place.

- strut brace = legal. No problems that I know of

- exhaust = if it is noisy illegal. They will most likely put a dB meter on it. If it is over 90dB then technically it is illegal, but some cops let them go up to 96dB (which mine was and I got away with it). Regency might be more stringent though.

- 18" rims = legal. As long as they have the size etc stamped onto them. A lot of Jap rims don't have this stamped onto them, which makes them illegal.

- turbo timer = illegal. Yes, you wil need to remove all of the associated wiring as fas as I know.

The worst thing about Regency is that they will go over your WHOLE car with a fine-tooth comb, and nearly always find more defects. Things like bushes, tie rods, tyres, chassis dents, rust, minor leaks, etc etc.

Good luck.

I recently bought a car in from Queensland.

Do yourself a favour and take it to the Sturt Depot rather than regency park. The guys there were helpful and friendly. My car had a few mods but they looked past these and just checked the VIN and engine number.

That's because you were having an ID check performed - not a roadworthiness inspection. ID checks can be performed at Sturt & Regency. During which they will check the numbers on the car to ensure it's not a rebirth or is stolen. They MAY also check the tinting if it appears to be too dark.

A full roadworthiness inspection is performed at Regency (or your country cop-shop). That's where defects are cleared, or a car is presented for approval after legal modifications are performed.

• 2 weeks later...
That's because you were having an ID check performed - not a roadworthiness inspection. ID checks can be performed at Sturt & Regency. During which they will check the numbers on the car to ensure it's not a rebirth or is stolen. They MAY also check the tinting if it appears to be too dark.

A full roadworthiness inspection is performed at Regency (or your country cop-shop). That's where defects are cleared, or a car is presented for approval after legal modifications are performed.

Great thread guys and las's..... sorry to hear about everyone's F-ups with Regency park vehicle inspectors. What a joke.

Now Im real worried! Just bought a Stagea (for all those unsure; a 'Skyline wagon' of sorts) from QLD. Slightly moddified, but currently registered and with a very fresh Road Worthy Certificate. Ive been told by Transport SA that I have to go to Regency to have a Identity Inspection performed - I pointed out (thanks to this forum) that it can be performed at Sturt Rd, and they agreed. They certainly wernt going to tell me though.....

Just a query, what should I take off my car before going to Sturt Road to have this inspection performed? My Stageas has a factory fitted bodykit, a quiet cat-back exhaust system, a boost gauge on the dash, a hidden turbo timer, a Turbosmart boost bleed valve, standard suspension and wheels, 4 brand new tyres; everything else on the car is standard as well.

Should I take off the dash mounted gauge, unplug the turbo timer, and get a cover made for the bleed valve that is in the engine bay (ie out of sight out may = of mind)?

Any furhter info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I dont want to end up in Regency! :chairshot

Help save me!!! Or am I just worrying too much since Ive read this thread?

Thanking you all; very kind of you (Thirtythree-II, 4door-Sleeper and Platinum) to write up your suggestions.

I'll definately undo the dash mounted boost gauge and take that off, I'll undo the wires that attach to the turbo timer and take that out (I'll keep it in the boot so they can see that it is definately not installed on the car), but Im not sure about mucking around with the Turbosmart bleed valve.

I was thinking of getting a cover made for it, but now after reading your suggestions Im thinking that it probably should be taken completely out of the engine bay whilst the bonnet is up and they are checking ID numbers.

How do you uninstall a boost bleed valve? Its one of the cheaper Turbosmart units, coloured red, about 10cm long x 20cm wide with a silver turn knob on one end. Sorry Im being a bit vague, but havent got the Stagea off the transport truck as yet! I cant wait to drive it here on Adelaide roads, it must be only the 3rd or so Stagea here in SA.

Can I be recommened a turbo tune shop that does services and modifications, who offer top service and help, but dont break the bank?

Cheers to you all!

Brendan

I was told to remove the turbo timer wires as well when I went there, but I guess it depends on your luck! I figured just unplugging the turbo timer would be enough (hey, what if I want to use it on a private road :P), but obviously not.

With the bleed valve, just unplug both ends that go into the 'tpiece' and imo, the easiest way to do if it's very hard to move down there (and if you want to make it easy to put back on for use on private roads :P) then just feed a smaller diameter piece of vaccum tube in each end to join up where the hole is missing, chuck a couple of cable ties on each end and dont boost too much on the way out there! Or if there's plenty of access, just put a new piece of pipe in there to replace the 'cut' one.

Unfortunatly most turbo tune shops do break the bank :D I can recomment RPM Performance centre, morepowa, graham west... i've heard very good things about boostworx too (havn't use them personally though... yet). This would be all very minor things, wouldnt take anymore than one hour of labour to remove (generally the lowest they will charge).

Btw, I love stagea's, one of my favourite cars!

Thanking you all; very kind of you (Thirtythree-II, 4door-Sleeper and Platinum) to write up your suggestions.

I'll definately undo the dash mounted boost gauge and take that off, I'll undo the wires that attach to the turbo timer and take that out (I'll keep it in the boot so they can see that it is definately not installed on the car), but Im not sure about mucking around with the Turbosmart bleed valve.

I was thinking of getting a cover made for it, but now after reading your suggestions Im thinking that it probably should be taken completely out of the engine bay whilst the bonnet is up and they are checking ID numbers.  

How do you uninstall a boost bleed valve? Its one of the cheaper Turbosmart units, coloured red, about 10cm long x 20cm wide with a silver turn knob on one end. Sorry Im being a bit vague, but havent got the Stagea off the transport truck as yet! I cant wait to drive it here on Adelaide roads, it must be only the 3rd or so Stagea here in SA.

Can I be recommened a turbo tune shop that does services and modifications, who offer top service and help, but dont break the bank?

Cheers to you all!

Brendan

Hey fella, nice work on the purchase, was thinking of one of those before buying my 33, I think there is a few more than 3 in adelaide, but not 3 well tough ones, as i can't wait to see a PHAT as FUNK one here.

As for workshops, i personally use and would recomend Graham West on Marion Rd, good down to earth bunch of blokes that do some quality work, and they can help with whatever you need.

See you on da streets, peace out

Deluxe :uh-huh: