SAU Community

Mods + Benefits, my experience.

Butters

As I enjoy slowly(Years) building a car I have been through a few stages of mods so far and thought I might share my personal thoughts. 

Happy to share more info / experience if people are interested in any of the mods below. 

Start point

Stock R32 RB26 , stock turbos, 4inch dump, 3 inch exhaust, link ecu, U98, 310rwhp, stock gtr driveline  

- What a slug, the car rev's nicely and drives nice but by todays standards a very slow car. 

G35-1050 install + E85 

Running 3psi and also 300rwhp (Dyno is stock turbos vs g35 on 3psi). The gate being open so early(almost always haha) makes the low down power even worse. 

- Was almost the exact same to drive despite the dyno suggesting a massive gap.  I guess slow is slow ? 

AIL4fc-3cM-aT7M6jx6jr1w3VUh5DhPLSwt4ZZ0m5tAvYjw1cI9kVrksDvP8XgaH1aG5Z0TwZRNsgdV85I3tDHRnAFRbkMb5v8mEa7Cme05g02bCQ4wj_RaeTTbKW6Uj4_dy1C78rJ9Z4a0u6XagAxIJYQEmTFKzTVONjdDxolxTRpNverqhUVFNzXQTT1CEZcJMtivUT7wu8cf52wBU4-56l26Yf8c7PhaQxK95cSrd-c8vX-Qw6_oxo_IgSPv_B33DfMpl0PbnuyIJ60M8k8tjmTi8nvxcIjQXtQAex8lbrJEpS6802Rzo6AAM6oJbuZfG_S5Ifrut9cWM2jB86b9B5YDYrDMmqKGOBg3njcwnpOgiHnp_blnF6aE188gT6od9nl2vkAlKwIuknbO8I-LZcD15pX7IMr_Pp955LOym3qsS8wF5_9j4CTS6YGrUH8UYzjh6WKhUn3J__QiXqq1huuYHCm_ISXsNB4kMxhOVx-WJZjC1GGPN__DwKikw1Z7oioBB23xjXnrRvRF-deDTRBZh9xqmQnCv2L_fmk3wFKwkMn5t5Q4ThbMS58f0aGoFtTmpvkSv5kvdLB1SBnikK9ynXtd5JIILmhqc-znVE2nDfk6ajFlafY8ZzKBjoaf38JAKtTC3wpLp_04efzBCp42cT2yYBoPIVI65zzQs_XJJXcAe1lz6kUm89dpd37K-o8ReOhuJmMSrUtIarxhehuu556LfJJxRLQorTcRTYxPoCazdk5M3Bdy8nWOJ5JOJaPMx0cexNgz29BXoz-w-l3ALk4VrI8OTyzLlatyJf-Se-scr-XX8epzV8Ag1K5f6abu91MFIXZWs6Sn0Y3ng2BXL0HhAh6Kv4xwu-PLT1BApLa4dYxj7MujXZ0kuXohPdwapyJMrX806YXHoLwWof55idPY=w1231-h923-s-no?authuser=0

6 speed Getrag install

Kept the 4.11 and also put in a nismo twin  clutch

- This was good but actually a bit of a disappointment, I guess I had been suckered by the motive/ mines videos.

- The car had no more response which  in hindsight makes sense. What it did , was allow you to be in the correct gear when you need it, specially 2nd out of of corners was much nicer.  Overall the car might be slower down the 1/4 due to all the changes required.   

- I do like the box though and knowing I can drive it hard is what having a car like this is all about. 

Boost time

As soon as the car hit 24 psi on the dyno, making 500awhp on low timing .... POP goes the factory head gasket 

Head Rebuild with VCAM

Usual metal HG, ARP studs and a Step 1 VCAM setup.   Car made 700rwhp but was hitting a wall, getting high intake air temps and not responding to changes. 

- This was immediately magic, the difference in how the engine responded was huge.  Power moved down 500rpm

- VCAM is a high recommend. 

ARC intercooler

Went baller and bought the top dog trying to find out why the car seemed capped at 700rwhp , given the IAT's seemed the stock gtr cooler could be a problem, plus it was dented. 

- By all accounts did sweet f**k all 

- looks really nice and is built REALLY well. 

4inch titanium exhaust

DIY home made and the next attempt in trying to find the restriction.    Made 770rwhp and no more restriction, made 40hp more on the same boost, same timing.  Dyno shows a tickle more boost and more timing. 

- WOW, immediate more low down torque, car improved in response  and is now just an animal to drive. 

AIL4fc-i91DmpfqrMfh2P9e_yIQOB5ujAqwRDr2MIJRlWRcDc78kNcSLzBHLVlEU_ZgWep3CI5h1CDTNfi1eIPt_cQoS2G_tMUdv1cHRX9cZXE4Q4diY5YO7UGm59X2TSiaqJnKBxZcY5pgMrTnme3nEPdiXBP0HN74DqyRHwbGsb8kOZy1cRofwP5XHH_l-lXPfGf4XuN9ZlbWvOA-tRwp3-q86fWK1ToHEqUPhPob50-qsfQpug_zUuSzYGuNJVvnn4Z1ciiBktHE01ZXgGGaJ-fQ9JxMibFE_1fjhxM_69BEns36boKiKrrTu3JOLCBmVbi_JOKCUTkViE8PS0bt06Vz1nbuqd6NtDycCR1qSoHtKZonHzfHgpAbNgU4La-44aIbtMEaenAcnJAoDX166-TQ5v2O9_sqqqERWDXH2Y95TPnGzpXVMtX6bMwSLfWZQp0A2BuaCJ3M7B7ODr-K1_aOKPF2GQtZl0qiR8ggOdHfniru5SI2TpBjbDxVgjNGkQ84VDdTf-EcD5JrpGMJtrMf0iPne4Yysqa8YV7-kGFULgFzSL4_K7bKE8lzvVfe0stuVsgB8C44MFrzfSrB3IKjPm6VZELdpqY8HQBAo1ubnYcs3jVRKtLqEW_BmZ92XNTMgAlVrJHs7p_py9edP-TjSyuDkjSrJQc_Prz34qPtOVBE68_Vg6tyf48uXwP21jQEZGC1fIj8w0STeyqPLlVFoJ4f_XVJg8tID0dcnh59qIZ6qaAc_n9KLeq3IejkTLgp66L9BK9pThlQgFTTGpy43HYo2PfA_GGFU5PswwWRLjmmBFsc45sfFbyI_ShSvRjD0qR-1R_8CX2Kju9rJgCe0xCghFvTxjyx7R-dhrM67GXZldRqcRcHX1QsQ52r1ay3ee-hRyRe7gq6AIkfRaEAaa9k=w1231-h923-s-no?authuser=0

What's next :

I need a new sump as I get oil pressure drop under high G. So going all out whilst on this mission. 

Neat 3.89 ratio's going in to drop the rpm slightly whilst cruising at 110 and stretch 1st out(slightly)

Also a Quaife front LSD going in. 

I am also considering going a 4inch stainless as the titanium really sings, a bit much on the longer drives for old man me. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

It's an interesting story. The chapter about running a G35-1050 at 3 psi was a little weird!

Haha indeed, I am sure if you think about it you can figure out why :) 

Then again I have seen some interesting things on the east that suggest you might not have the same hurdles we do.

Any idea why my pics stopped working ?

On 9/19/2023 at 10:49 AM, Butters said:

6 speed Getrag install

Kept the 4.11 and also put in a nismo twin  clutch

- This was good but actually a bit of a disappointment, I guess I had been suckered by the motive/ mines videos.

- The car had no more response which  in hindsight makes sense. What it did , was allow you to be in the correct gear when you need it, specially 2nd out of of corners was much nicer.  Overall the car might be slower down the 1/4 due to all the changes required.   

- I do like the box though and knowing I can drive it hard is what having a car like this is all about. 

I recently did the 4.11's in the 6 speed Getrag (34 GTR). I already have a responsive setup using a GTX3576 gen 2. I actually agree with you on some of this.

YES, It makes a difference, but it's not some magical thing like Motive make it out to be. I still think it's worthwhile, and im glad i did it, but it's not this crazy WOW moment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hattori hanzo said:

Getrag gearbox was super annoying for circuit or drag racing 

a well built 5 speed dog or sequential 6 is the go 

I have an gearset in my other car, the problem is for the street the 1st gear is terrible. Really really annoyingly long.  I have only seen a couple of options in helical + syncro with a street spec 1st gear. I didn't want a sequential for this car.

5 hours ago, djvoodoo said:

I recently did the 4.11's in the 6 speed Getrag (34 GTR). I already have a responsive setup using a GTX3576 gen 2. I actually agree with you on some of this.

YES, It makes a difference, but it's not some magical thing like Motive make it out to be. I still think it's worthwhile, and im glad i did it, but it's not this crazy WOW moment.

I am glad I did it too, I am hoping with 3.89 it's the ideal setup. I know its only 5% difference but should drop the cruise rpm just enough and stretch each gear a touch without losing all the pickup.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RB335 said:

What size dump pipe did you have before the 4" , or hard to compare what dump did as you also upgraded exhaust?

The dump and turbo's changed at the same time. So it went

Stock Twin Turbos - aftermarket front pipe but stock dumps, 3.5 inch cat, 3 inch exhaust, one rear cannon muffler.  ~310rwhp

g35-1050 - 4inch dump / front pipe and the same 3,5 inch cat and same 3 inch exhaust

~300rwhp 3psi and 710rwhp 24psi

g35-1050 - Same 4 inch dump/front/cat and then a 4 inch titanium exhaust, 2 mufflers.

~780rwhp 25psi

Edited by Butters