SAU Community

V8 Or Turbo Cars? Do You Think V8's Are The Ultimate Power House?

this thread is the reason why I don't even waste my breath trying to talk to either bogans or one eyed import lovers about cars.

ps rev[200] your links aren't funny, ninjas and maddox are f**king gay like chuck norris jokes, welcome to faggotry from 5 years ago.

I heard bozodos here died shortly after making this post...from an unidentified, faster-than-light kick to the head...so rapid it actually sent him back 5 years to a time when Chuck Norris jokes were still cool.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the guy may have just come here to ask for support.

Maybe he just wanted some Skyline Australia support.

just want opinions on wheather you guys think turbo cars have fake power compared to a v8 lol, that's what my cousin is saying cos a v8 already comes from factory with raw hp and torque

If you want to say having a turbo on the skylines is cheating, i could also say having 2 more cylinders in V8's is cheating compared to skyline in-line 6 cylinders. So if you wanted to put it that way, it could never be fair unless if you were racing exactly the same model cars, thus its a stupid shit ass comment to say about skylines cheating with a turbo. Im sure japs could just stash 2 more cylinders on their racing cars, but obviously worked out the power/weight ratio matters alot on track and drags. And i call that being smart not cheating.

If you want to say having a turbo on the skylines is cheating, i could also say having 2 more cylinders in V8's is cheating compared to skyline in-line 6 cylinders. So if you wanted to put it that way, it could never be fair unless if you were racing exactly the same model cars, thus its a stupid shit ass comment to say about skylines cheating with a turbo. Im sure japs could just stash 2 more cylinders on their racing cars, but obviously worked out the power/weight ratio matters alot on track and drags. And i call that being smart not cheating.

+1

just want opinions on wheather you guys think turbo cars have fake power compared to a v8 lol, that's what my cousin is saying cos a v8 already comes from factory with raw hp and torque

You keep crapping on about "fake power". What the f**k does that even mean?

I would agree with your cousin that most Aussie V8s do make raw hp and torque, by which I mean "underdone".

OMG this thread is full of fail. I'm so stupid for clicking it every time I visit the forums. I guess I'm just hoping that one day I'll come back to it and stupid questions will stop being asked.

You keep crapping on about "fake power". What the f**k does that even mean?

I would agree with your cousin that most Aussie V8s do make raw hp and torque, by which I mean "underdone".

lol man by fake basically impyling that turbo cars only have the power cos of the snail without it then it's just a 4 or a 6 compared to a v8, but like I said I replied back sayin it aint fake, it might be cheating but then again it doesn't have 8cyl's and the japs have done it smarter!

OMG this thread is full of fail. I'm so stupid for clicking it every time I visit the forums. I guess I'm just hoping that one day I'll come back to it and stupid questions will stop being asked.

man no1's beggin ya to give ur 2 cents worth, if the thread bothers you that much then here's a clue.... don't read it :)

lol man by fake basically impyling that turbo cars only have the power cos of the snail without it then it's just a 4 or a 6 compared to a v8

Then yeah, he's right. By his own definition, of course, which is so skewed as to be worthless.

The turbocharger helps the engine make power .Without it, it makes less power.

Calling it "cheating" is bullshit, though. A Holden 308 has practically double the displacement of an RB25DET, yet back in the mid 90's (VS Commodore and R33 GTS-t days) they made practically the same amount of power.

Put in new sleeves and crank and de-bore and de-stroke an old Holden cast iron down to a 153Ci (2.5L) and see if it'll make as much power as an RB25DE.

Embiggening an engine to make power is just as much "cheating" as going forced induction. Both involve having more air and fuel go bang. Both are relatively easy routes to make power, rather than using engineering.

If you extrapolate his logic further, then the only car company that doesn't "cheat" when it comes to making power is Honda. The S2000's 2.0L engine makes 180kW, just like the 308. It doesn't need a massive displacement, nor does it need forced induction. They do it by building a technically excellent engnie.

it might be cheating but then again it doesn't have 8cyl's and the japs have done it smarter!

Well, "smarter" is pretty debatable. A big NA 2V-per-cylinder V8 with large displacement has less complexity than a twin cam turbocharged I6 for the same power. The golden rule of engineering is KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid). It makes it easier to work on, and if built right fewer moving parts also equals fewer things that can wear our ot break.

Being NA its less sensitive to heat, which is great if you're trying to drive it in the Outback.

I also happen to prefer the throttle response from an NA car. I like the relationship between throttle inputs and acceleration to be immediately linear. I do enjoy boost ramping up in the straights, but through the bends I much prefer instant-on torque from NA. Having power and throttle response is smarter, in my books.

The older engines also made a bucketload of off-idle torque, where the RB26 needed quite a few revs on board to work. The lower rev limit also makes it more suitable for being mated to a slushbox. It would make it a far better prospect for towing, and driving around town.

I've driven a couple of small, economy-oriented turbo I4s (Polo, turbodiesels, etc) and while it is nice and pretty flexible once you're rolling it still can't match the old V8 Commodores I've driven off the line.

In the end your average Aussie V8 goes into a family car. Its intended purpose is different to what most people buy an RB powered Nissan for, and so it was engineered to suit.

Correct^

Good to see logic flowing through the thread now. With regards to Honda, Alan, they are still "cheating" by his mate's ridiculous logic. Whilst cleverly engineered with variable valve timing and well balanced components, the bastards (how dare they) always use a short stroke and wide bore representative of a motorbike engine to produce such high power figures at the expense of torque (great for marketing brochures). So if anyone has the "fake" power it's probably Honda with their unusable power band that would show its true colours should a couple of friends sit in the car with you. That said, I don't think he or his friend have the mechanical comprehension to go that deep with their engine comparison. Another reason why I say engines should not be compared outside of their specific applications they were designed for!

This is a public forum Killa 33, stick to IRC/MSN if you only want to hear nice things from your internet friends.

This is a public forum Killa 33, stick to IRC/MSN if you only want to hear nice things from your internet friends.

lol I know it's a public forum mate, i'm just sayin if you hate this thread so much and seein as you're always bitchin bout it then why bother?

Where's your logic throwin comments like scathing? all you do is bitch lol

Killa 33, this topic will never end between you and you cousin.

I have had arguments and debates with V8 fans and at the end of the day, they all start clutching their last straws by coming up with the most ridiculous excuses... Like what you cousin is saying... Turbo's are fake power, cheating bla, bla, bla...

They say "Take your turbo's off and what have you got?"

It's like me saying "Take you 2 extra cylinders off and what have you got..?"

Turbos, could be seen as Replacement for Displacement, why need all the cubes / cylinders when there is turbocharger(s).

That's my point of view and it has been proven over the years in Japan, AUS, USA, EUR and where ever in the world that ppl have turbocharged cars.

So ask your cousin is putting on a Supercharger on a V8 cheating?

my aussie 4cylinder 2L sigma turbo came out factory carby suck through with enough hp and toruque plus the fuel economy an 8 could have only dreamed of at the time. Oh and if that wasnt enough it took the title of Oz's fastest car from the GTHO phase 3 at the time until the VK brock commy was later released.

www.sigmaturbo.com

The arguments started the day little 4's strapped on the turbo'z and started showing v8's how it was done. Since then the scenes, engines and cars have evolved so much that now the argument is as pointless as it is stupid. :P

But none the less in the humour of answering the thread for you killa, If he thinks a turbo is fake power, what is a supercharger? Also fake or is that real?

The awesomeness of displacement and v8's comes out when you strap a turbo or two onto a v8 no doubt, and for that i always respect the V8 immensly. Theres no other sound like it, low down torque to strip road pavements and excessive fuel guzzling thirst is something we dont find in ours often. I always turn for a rumbling v8 to look...

But then again who can beat the sound of 1000hp rb crackin onto boost??? I think we all had a hard on at the R34 cruise when they launched that crazy GTR!!! WOW!!!

Or a rotor when its on song??? even better if its got the turboez!!!

You get my point yet mate? tell him to pull his head in and place respect where respect is due. :D