SAU Community

Turbo X-trail

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh i work at warwick cinemas...

thats cool, you cant expect every car to be EVERYONES cup of tea you kno!

im sure theres ppl that laugh a skylines too, but eh...

whoop arse will be on for sure. probs in a few weeks...

yeh company called hotbits makes 2-way adjustable coilovers with 125mm of ride height adjustment (i.e. 62mm up and 62mm down)

but other than that a few companies make strut spacers, lifted springs etc...

but i think coil-overs are the best way to go.

ill have heaps of dyno vids, build photos, in-car drives etc when im done!

haha thanks man!

yeh I've got the manifold done now so this week i should be able to trial fit the mani, turbo and measure up the dump and front pipe

plus measure up the intercooler piping.

its a big tough cos im on a student budget here, but i should have it all finished and boosting within 8 weeks...

mate bloody good work, my mums got a t31 xtrail and this is giving me some crazy ideas that im sure she aint gonna be happy with. lol but its a tough bit of kit you got there, definitely interested to see it all up and runnin. good luck :)

BIIG update:

Brought home my finished turbo manifold yesterday. Its a work of art. So now I can finally rip off my old extractors, and put on the manifold and turbo :P

Heres the manifold:

th_DSC01087.jpg th_DSC01088.jpg

I had to paint it in heat resistant exhaust paint to stop it from rusting (cos its made of cast steel as opposed to stainless steel), then wrap it in fibreglass wrapping:

th_P1000598.jpg Painted: th_DSC01094.jpg

So first thing, was to take the old extractors off, which involves ripping off the alternator too. One of the bolts was a bit of an ass to get off, so had to take off my catch can and upper radiator hose.

20 or so minutes later: th_P1000597.jpg old extractors off: th_DSC01095.jpg They look just like the day I put them on! 7 or so thousand Ks ago...

While I had the tools out, I chucked the cold-type iridium spark plugs in. Perfect heat range for the turbo :cool:

Then I test fitted the manifold and turbo, just getting everything sorted out, plenty of clearance from everything. Radiator, valve cover, radiator hose etc...

Wrapped the manifold in fiberglass wrap, i love this stuff, its brilliant.

Spent an hour or so making sure everything is gonna fit i.e. intercooler piping, dump pipe, O2 sensor, alternator, and everything is all good. The alternator needed a bit of encouragement, i installed some spacers to the alternator bracket, so it sits a little lower than before. Before anyone says, yes it still has tension on the belt and still makes a solid 14v on idle. So alternator sorted...

th_DSC01089.jpg th_P1000591.jpg th_P1000593.jpg th_P1000595.jpg

As for the oil line, I still need to get a restrictor fitting for the top of the turbo, plus a 90 degree fitting for the sandwich side of the line. Also the existing O2 sensor needed a bit of extension to be able to mount into the dump pipe. I wrapped it in heat wrap too, saves a potential melted wire I guess.

th_P1000599.jpg th_P1000600.jpg

From there I've gotta get the dump made along with the rest of the exhaust, I've set a date for not this weekend coming, but the next for my mate to bring home the mig welder and ill buy all the piping before then, should be a case of just measuring, cutting and welding. Can't see many issues arising there, I've done a full exhaust on this car before, only difference is, this is 3" instead of 2.25"! Then same sorta deal for the intercooler piping, that should be substantially easier because I don't have to dodge half as many things. Just around the radiator and up to the intercooler on the hot side, then down and through the splash guard on the cold side, to meet up with where the existing CAI ends.

Probs about 3 weeks till its drivable, just wont be able to go into boost unitl its tuned!

till next time...

haha i started it up yesterday just with the turbo manifold, so i can heat cycle the mani and make sure the bolts are torqued up good.

it sounded like an 8000hp drag car bahaha soooo loud...

(I/C piping coming this weekend)

Top work, will definitely turn some heads :rant:

Just a couple of questions (You may of answerered it but I've missed it haha)

How/where are you getting oil/coolant feed/drains from? What are the boxes like in these?

Kudos on the project

Edited by R34GTFOUR

@ West: eBay mate...

@ R34: im drilling a bulkhead into the upper oil pan, just above where the oil level is for the return, and the feed comes off an oil filter sandwich on the block. The gearboxes are pretty strong as far as i know. People give x-trails heaps of shit, but they are tough little 4wds. This has had some punishment from me offroad, and not once has it made any complaints. When i did the clutch and flywheel, i couldnt believe the sheer size and weight of the gearbox, so i cant imagine its weak. that said im still gonna take care of it, no clutch drops and gear snapping id say... There's a car in the US called a sentra, its got the same QR25DE motor, HEAPS of guys wack turbos on and not one has had a damaged gearbox yet. Unfortunately the conrods are the weak point of this drive line... :merli: