SAU Community

R32 console / dash question

firstly is the clock that sits under the tacho meant to be backlit (so when you turn on the lights you can see the time) - mine don't can i can never tell the time in the car :D

secondly the display for the climate control doesn't come on all the time (some time is displays, other times it won't.) Is there anything I can do to make it work all the time? (the a/c etc... works by the way).

should be back lit man... maybee i lightbulb back there's gone?

I have the same prob with my climate control, though i recently discoverd that when i leave it on (when display is not working) it comes into full display again after a while... Problem is my air-con doesn't work... think it need a re-gass... :D

The globes is pretty easy to remove, good luck trying to find a replacement globe, i would love to hear from anyone that knows where to get one.

And dont tell me Nissan, 2 x dealers have told me that the globe doesnt match up to any other Nissan globe from OZ delivered vehicles, so $45 and 2 week wait, and i have tried a few electronics places as well.

See here for white faces gauges, i think they are a pretty hard find for R32 GTSTs

As for the LEDs, pull out the globe and you will see why it will be difficult to do. The back af the gaug cluster is actually a printed circuit board to which the globe screws into.

Then there is the agro of ensuring the globe voltage suits the selected LED, can be made to work, but hpow much trouble are you willing to go to?

Im hoping there is a genius out there that knows where to get them for less then $45

for the gauge cluster to come out

1. the panel under the dash has 8 screws 4 up near the top one in the left bottom corner 2 next to the bonnet release and one around the corner where the dash joins with the door.

2. now pull the steering wheel as far down as you can

the surround for the gauges (part with ur windscreen wiper switch, hazzards, lights ect) has 7 screws 3 at the bottom (these were covered by the panel that was just removed) then there are 2 on the underside of the middle part then there is one on the underside of the light switch and one on the underside of the wipes switch. the whole surround will come out in one peice

3. there are 4 screws that hold the cluster in 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom then it will slide out

4. the globes for the main back lights are 12v 5w wedge types they just twist out if you want to change the colour just buy the covers for the globes from repco or where eva

i have pics on how to do it but it wont let me upload :)

hope this helps though

Sorry to barge in on the thread, but with regards to the climate control display, what does the the AMB button do? It displays a temperature with some Jap writing next to it on mine for about 5 seconds. Does it tell u the current temperature inside or outside the car???

What is that chip looking thing on the dash towards the top near the windsreen? about the size of a 5-10c peice and its like a clear brown colour....

I also had to take my stereo out at one stage and saw a small vent near the bottom right hand side of the middle cluster (near where ur left knee sits) near the shifter. I couldnt figure out what it was. Is it a climate sensor??

when u pull out centre console and remove the climate control unit, u can get to the bulbs to replace, they are common to stop working after a while. i have done many of these but u cant get of the shelf type replacement bulbs, u need to do sum modifying. dicksmith sell globes(not LED's) which are 12v and very similar to the original. they are called wheat grain type globes.

the original bulbs come with long pins which wrap around the plastic screw peice, u need to get wheat grain globes with leads soldered on, trim the lead the same length and pull all the insulation off and stick it in.

most nissans have this system and its the same on the back lights for the dash aswell. things to note...wen u pull out the original globe it will have a rubbery blue coloured cover (so it lights up whitish rather then the yellow globe colour) be careful to pull this off in one peice and not rip it.

• 1 month later...

Unwritten Law,

If this thread is still going, the AMB button is the Ambient outside temperture. The sensor for this is located between your radiator and your intercooler next to the horn i think. it's a black square box.

The "Chip" is a sunload sensor. detects how hot the sun is and adjusts climate control to suit. More sun = more cooling etc.

The vent near you stereo is a temperature sensor for the car cabin temperature.

All these determine what your climate control does.

Richy