SAU Community

Powerfc + A-lsd in R33

Moanie

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like this is a common thing with plugs ins.

The computer needs a throttle signal as an input to decide what to do with the diff.

The A-LSD computer probably expects a signal to come to it in a particular way, and if it doesn't come in the correct form, then it faults.

So how should we fix the signal? I've had a mechanic check the wires, and he didn't see any issues... :(

OFENSV - yeah...mine doesn't come on when i first turn on the car...and it goes away if the car is turned off for awhile! The a-lsd light on the dash is not the one that flashes a signal. The flashing signal is on the a-lsd/abs computer in the boot. Don't know how to describe it, but it sits above the battery...you have to lean into the boot and look at the bottom of the computer...there will be a little round light that flashes out a sequence. (mine flashed 7 times slowly, then 5 times fast, indicating a tps prob - i think you need to ask someone what the different sequences mean : )

I definitely think its linked in with the pfc, cause i never had that problem with my stock ecu....

• 3 months later...

Just chanced to happen on this thread when surfing the forum.

Hope you gels got your problems sorted. I could barely understand much of the discussion. I only bought my car in May 2004, so am still on steep learning curve.

Mine is also an R33 active LSD model, built Feb 1994. I managed to track down an owners handbook in english. Its been helpful for the basics.

It says both activeLSD and slip lights (ABS light as well) come on with the ignition, but go out when engine is started. Slip light also comes on when losing rear traction (eg having fun in the wet, or doughies, or perhaps on ice/snow in Japan). Active LSD light (and ABS light) only comes on when driving if there is a system fault.

My car (now) does it exactly like in the manual. But mine is stock standard. Mucking around with electronic mods seems too scary too me.

Hope this is helpful to some active LSD owners.

cheers :(

Nah. I've recently had a powerfc installed and I don't have any problems with it. My slip light and A-LSD/ABS lights are working fine. Not that I have tested them of course. :angel:

I seem to find that it creates a system fault when you are driving up an uneven driveway and one wheel spins but the other is off the ground? Or on a dyno. It comes up with a system fault. Not quite sure why, but my mechanic said it's fine :rofl:

Moanie/NismoGirl. A Q. if I may? Whats a power fc, or shouldn't I ask?

I used to have an FC holden (1959) in a former incarnation, but you wouldn't call that powerful - by today's standards. And I'm sure it's not the answer to my Q.

Hope you are making progress with problems. I have no further insights, beyond how the lights are supposed to work.

Initially, mine did have a problem. None of the ABS,slip, or active LSD lights ever came on. Under warranty, so dealer had problem for 3 weeks. Turned out it was a broken wire inside a plug somewhere. It was like these systems had been turned off with a switch.

Interesting that both ABS and slip/activeLSD systems both ran thru one wire. Seems to support earlier post that both these systems are run from the one computer??

Gazza49: Before you get flamed for your nOOb question. A PowerFC is a full stand-alone replacement ECU which plugs in where your normal Nissan ECU is which allows you to modify your fuel/ignition maps as well as a few other features, like rev limiter etc.

Obviously if you replace the standard ECU which is supposedly running all these bits and pieces like A-LSD etc, you come up with problems if the new computer (ECU) can't handle it.

You'll notice in my signature that i'm awaiting a PowerFC and this certainly doesn't mean i've got an FC holden on order :)

I've search around, checked all 490 odd pages of the r33 service manual and other sites and google. The diff is the same as the vpec gtr diff. If the problem doesn't occur when you use the stock ecu and it does with the powerfc then it must be something the power fc is doing. Not sure what. The service manaul for the r33 doesnt cover anything on the a-lsd or slip functions, it doesnt even mention them

nissan consult wont prove much help either it doesnt have any a-lsd loopback or realtime tests. Find someone else who has a a-lsd r33 and see if you can swap your "lsd" computer in the boot over as a test, but if that was the problem then youd have the same fault with your stock ecu

no idea

I totally agree!!! With all the trouble shooting we did, that had to be the only explanation!! and i haven't noticed any probs with my lsd.... so i'm trying not to stress too much!! I have an awesome mechanic and tuner... so if there was a problem, they'd have already found it by now!! :mad:

Thanks for everyones input!!!! Its always good to hear it coming from someone else :)

Gazza49: Before you get flamed for your nOOb question. A PowerFC is a full stand-alone replacement ECU which plugs in where your normal Nissan ECU is which allows you to modify your fuel/ignition maps as well as a few other features, like rev limiter etc.

Obviously if you replace the standard ECU which is supposedly running all these bits and pieces like A-LSD etc, you come up with problems if the new computer (ECU) can't handle it.

You'll notice in my signature that i'm awaiting a PowerFC and this certainly doesn't mean i've got an FC holden on order :mad:

What's a nOOb question? But ta for reply anyway.

The FC holden wasn't that bad when I think about it. Mine had a Repco super sports engine (but still a sideplate grey), twin carbs, extractors, 2 inch exhaust, fats (steel wheels), lowered suspension and a top speed of 84 MPH. My mates called it the ROCKET.

Is it to late to change your order?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Moanie

I have a series 2 with the slip/a-lsd option on my car also.

i was looking in to getting a PFC, and i did actually pose this question on the forums, as i did think about whether apexi would have thought of adding this option in to the PFC, since only few GTST's came with it (maybe the new model PFC have it???).

the responses i got was that the PFC DIDNT come with the inbuilt function to handle our diff (vspec GTR diff). i didnt end up getting PFC though, as im selling my car now, but if i did, i would have imagined i would of got the same 'problem' as you.

if the diff actually still works though, then you dont have much to worry about..

-Michael

Thanks BATMBL!!!

And i don't think it has ANYTHING to do with my mechanic, nismogirl... its an incompatibility between alsd and pfc, as my light comes on when i lose traction, but i have not experienced any problems with the lsd.