SAU Community

$5k 300kw?

rb2?

Hey guys, newb here again. Ive got 5k and im wanting to build a reliable rb30 for my 21st :) and i need your guys help. My car has already set-up for drift with a cage etc and everything to get it sideways but its time to get more power and improve my skill.

As far as i know rb30 blocks can be bought for around 150$, and i already am running an rb25det in my r32, of which i can submit parts of to my rb30, ive talk to a few shops which say this can be done, but like my past experience it helps to get knowledge of people who have gone down this track.

Any help would be more than appreciated P.S. I want a mean 21st present :(, so please help ;)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, don't like your chances mate! 300kw is a big number and a LOT of the standard stuff will have to be replaced! Things like clutch, fuel pump, injectors will max out at about 200kw, so your up to about $3000 right there. Then the issue of new turbo, lines, tune..... can go forever....

Sorry mate, i'm skeptical... ;)

Nah mate your alright :) , my apologies iv have gtr injectors, walboro fuel pump, exedy clutch, rb25gearbox, thats all i can think of that could be moved over, what you think now ;)

i dont like your chances, an RB25DE head from an R32 will set you back ~$500 and then you want a reliable running RB30E bottom end which is ~$100 but then we get to the expensive bits. exhaust manifold, turbo, modified exhaust, new gaskets, new intake piping, ecu tune/remap etc.

it all adds up quite quickly.

did you read my 1st post? i have rb25 in my car already, and other shit il need main bits i need are the block , turbo, ecu, tune, gasket and maybe recon the block? i could always ask nana for 1k hahaha

depends if your doing the engine assembly and engine removal install yourself. On parts alone and machine work i reckon for 5k you could do it if you have the head, clutch, and injectors sorted.

engine is about 100 bucks, $1500 for machine work and freshen up with new bearings and cast aftermarket pistons (so u can bore it 20 thou to get rid of the usual rb30 lip on the bores), new seals, gaskets, tensioner, idler, timing belt, restrictors, etc etc, then u just have to source a turbo setup, modify the exhuast and buy an ecu.

If you have to pay labour then i dont think its gonna happen unless u run the stock rb25 turbo on it for a while

Hey guys, newb here again. Ive got 5k and im wanting to build a reliable rb30 for my 21st :D and i need your guys help. My car has already set-up for drift with a cage etc and everything to get it sideways but its time to get more power and improve my skill.

As far as i know rb30 blocks can be bought for around 150$, and i already am running an rb25det in my r32, of which i can submit parts of to my rb30, ive talk to a few shops which say this can be done, but like my past experience it helps to get knowledge of people who have gone down this track.

Any help would be more than appreciated P.S. I want a mean 21st present :D, so please help :D

i built a slapper for a good friend about a year back as a laugh, to do it for you budget you will need to get dirty and buy 2nd hand bits and pieces but seeing you already have most of the rb25 stuff you should be laughing provided you have a ecu already.

parts used:

RB30 non turbo, machine block to clear ex manifold, honed, re ringed, linished the crank and new king bearings ($900 in total inc buying motor)

RB25 engine low on comp ($650, you can get cheaper but this was a low k unit some nuff overboosted)

decked above head $60

new tensioners $150 ish

New belts $150

Highflow std injectors to 740cc $420 change over

assembly (free if you follow sau guide) or $500 inc gasket kit and MLS

2nd hand gt3540 kit and gate $2400

car made well over 300rwkw reliably with pfc and z32.

honestley though i would just get 300rwkw from your RB25, as finding bargain turbo kits etc is pretty hard nowadays, if you get decent parts you can make it reliable.

Hey! appreciating all the input guys, yesterday i was talking to my workshop who built my 1st car and said he can provide me with a reliable 550hp RB30DET for just a nudge over 5k, he explained he'd bore the block, new bearings, gaskets, belts, rebuilt Turbonetics or Garrett turbo and Haltech ecu tuned. So im deciding on the weither to take him up on the offer??

To be honest im pretty excited about this, as i have never driven a car with more that 400hp.

I WILL KEEP YOU PEEPS POSTED :D !

P.s. why dont you people ever go on about how 280kw or more feels in a car, i would like to know Thank you very muchus

Hey dude, thats great if you can find someone to do it for that kind of money. I'd make sure that the build comes with some kind of warranty though, shouldn't be a problem obtaining one if a reputable workshop does it for you.... and make sure you get a WRITTEN QUOTE with all costs on it. That way no discrepancies later...

Good luck! ;)

Hey dude, thats great if you can find someone to do it for that kind of money. I'd make sure that the build comes with some kind of warranty though, shouldn't be a problem obtaining one if a reputable workshop does it for you.... and make sure you get a WRITTEN QUOTE with all costs on it. That way no discrepancies later...

Good luck! ;)

+1 on the written quote. the "oh that didn't include this, that and labor... is many garages favorite trick"

+1 on the written quote. the "oh that didn't include this, that and labor... is many garages favorite trick"

yeah agreed, my slapper build i did was about as dodge as you could go and it did not include ecu etc..... a haltech is gonna put a 1400-2000 hole in your 5k budget str8 up.

my 300rwkw RB25 build in a nutshell:

build was done back when the dollar was good

prices are approx as i cant remember exactly

std rb25 - already had

hks 2835 pro s - $3400

nismo 555cc injectors - $750

pfc - $1500

z32 afm - $300

blits dsbc spec s - $300

button clutch - $1500

Nismo 1.5 way diff $1500

hybrid gt spec intercooler kit $600

Custom cold air box and piping $200

Splitfire coils - $500

Boost Guage $200

Tune $500

3" exhaust system $1500

= $12,750

then full house suspension to get the power down

300rwkw is awesome fun...

yeah agreed, my slapper build i did was about as dodge as you could go and it did not include ecu etc..... a haltech is gonna put a 1400-2000 hole in your 5k budget str8 up.

Basically that's it.

Look, at the end of the day you can get near on 300rwkw RB25/30 for $5-6k IMO.

The issue is here though you have to cut corners on parts to get there.

Now you might be lucky, it might hold together, nothing lets go and so on.

Or something might die and then take other parts with it adding to you needing to spend perhaps another 4-6k... by which time add's up to doing it properly the first time... and you will be fixing it "on the cheap" so now you've had two shit/cheap setups for the price of one decent one.

So it comes down to a simple choice. Do you gamble or don't you.

If you wanna gamble, good luck as that is all that you have to back you up.

my 300rwkw RB25 build in a nutshell:

build was done back when the dollar was good

prices are approx as i cant remember exactly

std rb25 - already had

hks 2835 pro s - $3400

nismo 555cc injectors - $750

pfc - $1500

z32 afm - $300

blits dsbc spec s - $300

button clutch - $1500

Nismo 1.5 way diff $1500

hybrid gt spec intercooler kit $600

Custom cold air box and piping $200

Splitfire coils - $500

Boost Guage $200

Tune $500

3" exhaust system $1500

= $12,750

then full house suspension to get the power down

300rwkw is awesome fun...

Love the av :P

If someone is willing to give you 5 grand for a 21st b'day pressent then my sincere advise to you would be to NOT waste it on an engine that potentially could go bang 5 Km's down the road when you pick it up from the workshop.

A good rebuild and package costs alot more than you have and in my oppinion it would be most disapointing to see someone elses hard earned money go down the drain when you could have invested it or done something meaning full with it.

either that or put more to the job and get it done the right way first time around.

Dont take me the wrong way im all for spending cash on cars, im one of the worst for it, just do it right though.