SAU Community

Rebuilding R34 Gtr Turbos With Steel Wheels

No.96

G'Day,

I'm thinking of rebulding my r34 gtr turbos with steel wheels the local guy quoted me $1000.00 buck each then suggested I buy new ones.

Whats the go?

Cheers

Idential specification. In sleeve bearing.

Just to avoid confusion for others, putting ideal spec wheels in the stock housings won't make it the same as -5 turbos because the -5 turbos use a 0.6 compressor housing and 0.64 turbine housing.

So even more lag

I'm still not 100% sure what stock A/R turbine housings are on the stock turbos but most ppl say they're .48 or something. The stock compressor housings are .42. The 707160-9 wheels would prob work better in the factory machined housings.

Well. as soon as steel wheels are in. noticeably more lag. Drove N1 and Normal R32, defiantly be able to tell which one's what. Bigger turbine housing will help making more power with more lag, its only a 1.3L 3cyc engine per turbo. I think machine -5 to stock housing would be a less laggy option for up to 350rwkws (I've seen 345rwkws).

So even more lag

So put correctly sized -9's on there for 330-340rwkw if that is what you want.

Just had a look at the stockies

.42 front and .48 rear

does this mean it wont flow as much as a -5s (.64 a/r) after hi-flowing?

No where NEAR what "true" ball bearing -5s will make.

You are basically putting a turbo designed to be in a certain way, into a set of restrictive housings.

You run into potential issues like:

will not make power easily, require fair amounts of boost for the power, create lots of backpressure and potentially higher intake temps for the equivalent power level.

Cutting short by going a sleeve bearing rebuild in restrictive housings

vs

Ball bearing turbo, correctly designed housing/wheel combo

It's a GTR - if your too cheap to afford turbo's to do it justice, begs the question IMO.

With the brand new price of Genuine Garretts these days, rebuilding stock GTR turbos IMO is a thing of the past