SAU Community

Racepace Built R34 Gtr Nur Rb28 V-cam

BTW, I picked up yet another set of wheels from Yahoo japan. I know what you guys are thinking, but I just love this JDM stuff!

The obligatory pictorial:

img0184aa.jpg

img0189h.jpg

img0186i.jpg

img0193cq.jpg

img0199zz.jpg

img0196l.jpg

Specs:

Fabulous Expand Racing R, Forged, high quality, brand new

19"X10.5" +22 offset; same as my previous Rays CE28Ns

Mega lip and plenty of 'bling' 'bling'

Have you got a loud blow off valve on this beast? I'd love to see the look on peoples faces when you boost it right behind them lol. definitely need some videos of this running :)

Tangomatt, i love everything about your build so far...but im just not seeing the excitement in these rims.

I would have the LMGT4's anyday over these.

No blow off valve. The key is stealth. You will be surprised how quiet the engine/exhaust sound is at idle, almost stock. When you rev it high, it howls much like the Mines R34 car.

Tangomatt, i love everything about your build so far...but im just not seeing the excitement in these rims.

couldn't agree more.. :) but i suppose it might all fall into place when on the car..

as for seeing it in action, bring it to a deca thats no doubt the safest place to give it a flogging

Just read through your build and Im crushed lol I so want to build up my car like this but yeah dont have the available funds yet, but well done on it great to see the commitment you put in and stuck through it and got it finished its unreal the car. PS you really love your rims lol.

Very sweet car. <-- understatement of the year...

I will say one thing however - you have way too much $$ for your own good... :rofl2:

If you don't mind me asking, how much has this all cost you (roughly)?

Edited by gwilkinson34

If you don't mind me asking, how much has this all cost you (roughly)?

Nobody will ever answer that question.

Usually because all the recepits have been thrown out. This way your not tempted to add them up and weigh the dollars spent with the fun you get from the car. And of course no reciepts means it technicaly cost nothing!

Yeah i regret having kept an up to date record of what the car owes me. I really hope Matt didn't keep the receipts. That shit just always hurts to look at.

Ignorance is bliss :rofl2:

I honestly don't know exactly how much has been spent on this project as I have bought and sold parts along the way.

One thing I know for sure is that there are many other builds in this forum that cost much more than mine. :down:

I honestly don't know exactly how much has been spent on this project as I have bought and sold parts along the way.

One thing I know for sure is that there are many other builds in this forum that cost much more than mine. :D

Yeah!? Really!? Like who!? Tangomatt, we all know you're being modest. :)

Edited by AtomicBomberMan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a quick update on the suspension upgrade with Racepace customised Tein RS setup.

The Tein RS, aka 'Circuit Master; Super Racing Spec', has been out of production since 2006-2007. They were the top of the line in the Tein catalogue for production cars at that time. In some ways, I feel that the materials used and the way it was manufactured surpass what's commonly available today, even the premium priced shocks.

Details of the RS are listed below (sourced from US based my.is forum in 2002)

MATERIALS AND FACTS:

DAMPING MECHANISM:

45mm diameter pistons

Double shim stacks (near unlimited tunability with knowledge of shim valves)

Two 'special form' adjustment needles

SHOCK/RESERVOIR BODY:

Monotube shock body

53mm outer diameter

Aluminum alloy (A7050) seamless tube, CNC'ed, green (hard?) anodized

Inner tolerances:

diameter: ±5µm

roughness: ±1.6µm

Reservoir body interior is PTFE (Teflon) coated

CNC'ed aluminum alloy eyelet, Tein rubber bushing, steel pivot

SHOCK SHAFT:

14mm diameter

Chromoly (SCM435) steel, Ti-N coating

SHAFT SEAL/GUIDE:

WRC spec

PILLOWBALL MOUNT:

Aluminum alloy, CNC'ed, powdercoated (gold)

SPRINGS:

Main and helper

Steel, ground and tapered, enameled

10K front, 10K rear

SPRING PERCHES:

Aluminum alloy, forged and machined

SETTINGS:

-34mm front, -12mm rear (easier measured as 335mm both from the center of the wheel to the fender lip, front and rear)

10 clicks rebound front

10 clicks compression front

10 clicks rebound rear

13 clicks compression rear

Out of the box, the RS will not suit my purpose of a street orientated setup in Australian conditions. So the solution Racepace derived is to employ a high quality, well engineered shock to begin with and customise the valving and spring rates.

The current spring rates are less than half of 10K front and rear. The exact rate Racepace did not divulge and so is what they did to the revalving. BUT believe me, the setup works very very well.

My initial impression, compared to the Nismo S Tunes, which is also street orientated:

- The damping is comparable, soaks up bumps and road undulations well. The rebound is quicker than the S Tunes, that the RS is less 'cushy'

- The car feels more planted and can hold its intended steering path despite mid corner bumps etc

- At very low speeds, the RS is very compliant

The only annoying thing is an annoying 'whimper' originating from the rear shocks at very minute bumps. It almost sounds like someone rubbing a wet finger on clean glassware. However, I did some research and found that this is quite common, and indicates no fault. The pillow ball mounts also transfer more road noise to the cabin.

I spent a good afternoon with Chris from Racepace. And this is how I feel as a passenger..... Well Chris test drove the car in a 'hill' run. (Chris is an excellent driver btw. He scared the sh*t out of me)

- The car feels like its on tracks and bumps do not upset the momentum.

- Car feels planted, period!

Chris comments that the RS allows him to transfer weight nicely and from the get go the setup is confidence inspiring. That is he can drive a lot quicker if I was not in the car with him. He was extremely happy with the way the RS can handle the low speed stuff equally as well as the high speed.

Overall, I am very impressed, bearing in mind that the Nismo S Tunes were very good to start with. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a street car to go for less spring rate but good damping force.

Final thing on the agenda - increase ride height on front end and transfer case reinforcement.

PS will post pics on weekend.

Cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...