SAU Community

Racepace Built R34 Gtr Nur Rb28 V-cam

You have an amazing taste in tuning man! Starting off with a nice fresh top of the line stocker, then fitting nothing but top shelf parts.

If no one has already asked, how much do you reckon the entire build set you back?

dazzvass Posted Yesterday, 07:16 PM

You have an amazing taste in tuning man! Starting off with a nice fresh top of the line stocker, then fitting nothing but top shelf parts.

If no one has already asked, how much do you reckon the entire build set you back?

Thanks dazzvass. I am too scared to actually sit down and add up all the costs. But just the aftermarket parts alone add up to over $50K.

I could easily buy a new R35 with what I paid for my NUR back two years ago and all the bits and pieces that I have done so far. To be honest, I regret not getting a R35 instead in some ways. I mean my car is over 7 years old, even though its low mileage. And from point to point, the R35 walks all over my modded car!

The way I look at it is if I were to buy a R35, I would not be able to resist the temptation to modify it, like I did with the NUR. And we all know how much aftermarket parts for the R35 cost - just a catback exhaust will set you back over 5-6K easily. Besides, I refuse to deal with standard Nissan dealership servicing etc. Then there is the warranty issue, you mod the R35, you lose what you pay a premium for, that is the warranty. Maybe, in a few years time, I will pick up a reasonable second hand R35 and let the mods begin AGAIN.

Errr - I tend to disagree, respectfully of course

What you have built most would regard as the ultimate GTR - Hence the Z-Tune follows a very similar line RB28 etc etc...

As for the R35 walking over your car - I would not be so sure I'd almost claim your car would ruin an R35 track or street

Also you have something that the R35 will never have......... a clutch, a real one not some fancy auto one!

It saddens me that someone would go to this length to build such an amazing car only to trade it off with a comment lik "I should have bought an R35".

Who cares if your car is 7 years old - thats not why we buy these cars, heck mine is 20 years old yet it still brings a smile to my face and tears the arse out of most things that have been produced within the last 20 years.

Anywho enough of my rant - I don't mean any disrespect, its just that some people would literally give a body part to be in the position your in where you basically give it the Forza treatment: read buy the best of everything.

When someone like Ben from Racepace says "this is the best GTR i've ever driven" I think you have something special....

Maybe take it out for a proper drive.

Thanks dazzvass. I am too scared to actually sit down and add up all the costs. But just the aftermarket parts alone add up to over $50K.

I could easily buy a new R35 with what I paid for my NUR back two years ago and all the bits and pieces that I have done so far. To be honest, I regret not getting a R35 instead in some ways. I mean my car is over 7 years old, even though its low mileage. And from point to point, the R35 walks all over my modded car!

The way I look at it is if I were to buy a R35, I would not be able to resist the temptation to modify it, like I did with the NUR. And we all know how much aftermarket parts for the R35 cost - just a catback exhaust will set you back over 5-6K easily. Besides, I refuse to deal with standard Nissan dealership servicing etc. Then there is the warranty issue, you mod the R35, you lose what you pay a premium for, that is the warranty. Maybe, in a few years time, I will pick up a reasonable second hand R35 and let the mods begin AGAIN.

Choosing between your car and a R35 would be a hard choice man. It comes down to whether you want the more raw feel of a Skyline GT-R or the god like performance of a GT-R. They are now two totally different cars, neither one being better than the other... Just different. So good luck with that decision. :P

The only thing extra on the R35 is that the tuning potential is much, now that carbon fibre is now more common. So if you do end up upgrading I can expect a post with twice as many pages. XD

I don't know if it would be quicker than a 35... definitely in a straight line, not sure round a track, maybe with a pro driver...

however I'd almost guarantee it would be more fun to drive! and dare I say it looks better too! (and I don't usually like white cars)

know what you mean re. the modifying bug... I just can't leave cars alone... I went for heavily modded 33GTR instead of a stock 34GTR so I wouldn't be tempted to 'upgrade' stuff... its not really working though:/

When someone like Ben from Racepace says "this is the best GTR i've ever driven" I think you have something special....

Amen.

Matt, this is one of the best GTR's I have ever seen, period. I'm sure many people are envious. Congratulations & enjoy it :)

Matt

I think your mad if you even compare your car to an R35.

With the V-cam setup working and 2.8 you have the potential for unleashing a beast.

The turbs your running with is sedately producing the power your getting and your only getting a glimpse of what the V-cam is like.

Do a setup here in Jappa of HKS 2835's and bigger cams and hang on for the ride. I'll guarantee you'll be looking at that 6momths -1yr down the line and another smack in the money tree!

I stayed away from the V-cam setup cause I was going to send my car to oz and was worried I couldnt get the V-cam tuned but now that seems to be a myth, you've got me thinking again !

Enjoy it!!

Hi guys, (Sheriff Wan; elrodeo666)

I anticipated my comment about 'regretting not buying a R35 instead' would ruffle some feathers. I guess I have not had the chance to learn to unleash the full potential of what I have built yet. YES, I concede that I really NEED to take it for a 'proper' drive, or at least be a passenger with a competent driver to see what the car actually is capable of.

Also, please let me clarify that I am not at all disappointed at the way the R34 has turned out. Far from it, its the most unique and best damn car I have ever owned and I don't think I will trade it for anything else for a long while.

I guess I am just lamenting on the fact the performance of a heavily mod R34 is not as easily accessible to the average Joe driver like myself, as compared to a R35. The R35 is like 'point and shoot' and you are already going at warp speed. I have been practising a bit to launch my car properly and I guess I can hook it real right maybe once or twice in half a dozen attempts. Other times, it bogs, or I am worried that I will fry the Nismo clutch. Then there are those additional little gripes I have about an 'old' car, like those faded rubber seals, and annoying creaks and rattles from the interior plastics and trims, which feel so flimsy Then there is the warranty issue with all these aftermarket parts, or more accurately, lack of warranty because everything was imported through a private importer. What if the V Cam control module malfunctions? etc. The only comforting thing is at least I know the engine has been screwed together properly by Racepace. Also, going fast on twisty roads without the safety blanket of driver's aids such as traction control, anti skid, electronic brake force distribution etc can be quite disconcerting. Lastly, the amount of soot and fumes that exit the exhaust necessitates a clean or polish of my white bumper every time, otherwise a few days of leaving the fuel residue would result in a permanently yellow bumper. I think this is also wearing me out a bit. I thought the V Cam would make the engine burn cleaner, unfortunately it has not one iota of differnece compared to my original non V Cam RB.

I can understand why some journos have labelled the R35 soul-less, beacuse its so easy to drive; then I guess my mod R34 most definitely has 'soul', I just don't know if its the 'Devil' lurking underneath. :devil:

Cheers

Matt

Simply amazing mate.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your build Matt and experiencing "what could be" when I have the coin to splurge on my 34R! Look forward to seeing the beast in the flesh.

By the way, how do you find the Z-tune bonnet; does it create alot of dust and moisture build up inside the engine bay? Am tempted to purchase, but holding back as I'm unsure as to how much work needs to go into cleaning the engine bay due to the venting, and also legality reasons.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben,

My Z Tune bonnet is genuine Nismo, therefore the fit and finish is 100% bolt on, with minimal adjustment. The neat thing about the vents is that there are rain channels built in to drain moisture and rain water. The Vent outlet are angled in such a way that water does not really escape into the engine bay even when I am at the car wash - obviously not spraying water directly at the vents. Its cool and well worth the dough!

Hi Ben,

My Z Tune bonnet is genuine Nismo, therefore the fit and finish is 100% bolt on, with minimal adjustment. The neat thing about the vents is that there are rain channels built in to drain moisture and rain water. The Vent outlet are angled in such a way that water does not really escape into the engine bay even when I am at the car wash - obviously not spraying water directly at the vents. Its cool and well worth the dough!

Oh wow, thats awesome and certainly satisfies any fears I had. If you dont mind, can you please PM me how much I should expect to pay for such an item and how you sourced this? ;)

Cheers

Ben

Oh wow, thats awesome and certainly satisfies any fears I had. If you dont mind, can you please PM me how much I should expect to pay for such an item and how you sourced this? ;)

Cheers

Ben

I hope you're sitting down when you find out how much these bonnets cost!

Matt - Looks like the TE37s need a little clean. :P