SAU Community

p plate law changes

redline2003

The law in Vic is 125kw/tonne and clearly it is the factory quoted weights and power (at the fly obviously). It wouldn't be possible to enforce it otherwise - the cops aren't going to pull your engine out and dyno it!

There is also a law of litres/tonne... i cant remember what the figure is something like 4 litres/tonne - read the road rules website... When you get your licence it says in the small print that you are responsible for keeping up to date with the laws.

When I got my P's in 1998 I was sure that the penalty for not displaying your P's was 3 points and 3 months suspension of licence - or something like that. But i had a friend who got busted (as he was walking to his car) and just got a warning.

If you can't do a simple thing like put your plates up, I wont question your ability to carry out the much more complicated task of driving on the road!

My plates probably fell off a handful of times in 3 years - just rub them on your leg and they warm up and stick good. (you have to get the ones with all the holes in them - they are the best)

Finally in Vic a full licence has had 12 points for as long as I can remember.

Is the reason someone would not display them so they dont get hassled about their skyline ?

That's exactly right.

Stops hassles by about 95%.

I have not been pulled over once in the past 12 months.

I've have had 2 p plate fines so far in my life ($200 total) and it's better to cop a fine than the weekly hassle i see other p platers have with the law.

eg. At the defect station friday night, the first thing the cop went for was the back window.

Why?

To check for 'P' plates.

The nice officer couldnt just check the license FIRST now could they? (the driver in question was 27)

All other cars were also checked out for P's too... but they had none... drive through son was the response

So typical on the constabulary

And this by Kamikazie says it all.

in nsw it is $74 and 2 points :P

He only had a fine of $74... over Govmn't is $100 PER 'p' plate. So a risk of $200 in one hit.

Someone tell me they dont use fines as revenue raising.

At least in NSW, whilst they take points... they dont rape your bank account too.

I thought full license is always 12 points?

So did I.

I drove a gallant hatch when I was on my P's and had one of those P plates with the little suction cup thingies on it - and it used to fall off all the time. After going though a booze bus once I was told to put my plate back up again but I was due to get off my P's 2 days later. He didnt care and still made me get out and put it back up!

I'm in the process of writing a formal letter of complaint to express my views directly to the minister for transport. Main points:

Why are p platers expected to be better drivers than non p plate drivers, even with less experience?

P platers have more ways to lose points (new harsh penalty for not displaying plates) but less points to lose - doesn't make sense.

Points from before the rule came into effect should not count.

Enough restrictions on us already - alcohol, passenger restriction if u lose license etc... why make us more likely to lose our license as well? by simply not displaying plates and getting caught for two minor speeding offences (less than 10km/h over limit) we could lose our license. fantasic.

Voting liberal next election for sure.

I used to have mine displayed in the back window but cops hasled me bcos they culdnt see it bcos of my tint. and now i have it stuck on the back bumper and yeah no complaints from cops if it has fallen off. Also with the power to weight issue cops cant really do *** all i got done for that told him i take him to court bcos he had no official proof only for gtr. and i havent heard anything back from them this was last year. Even nissan dont have the kw for a skyline i asked them and they said they dont have them.n thank f**k for that law coming in now since i had my skyline within that year i lost my lic. but yea,

Even nissan dont have the kw for a skyline i asked them and they said they dont have them

nissan do have the figure and its 187kw at the fly :confused: why wouldnt a company who made the car not have the power output of it :confused:

I just played it safe with all the power to weight laws, and its saved me once already. Cop pulls me over and the first thing he checks is the presence of a turbo.

And having your p's up, well its two pieces of plastic, not that hard. I have been hasseled but my car is legal, i haven't had any other fines or loss of points. Even with these changes, it shouldn't effect me that much. I Hope. Only 1 year till im on full anyway :D

Letter i sent to transport minister today.

Mr Peter Batchelor

Minister for Transport

80 Collins Street

Melbourne Victoria 3000

3rd December 2003

To Mr Peter Batchelor,

Re: “Novice” driver law changes

Thank you for your letter dated 28th November 2003 detailing changes to legislation regarding leaner and probationary (or “novice” as you describe) drivers. This information was very educative. However, I wish to express my concern and disagreement with the changes made.

I fail to see how the new law regarding loss of license for learner and probationary drivers (5 points in any 12 month period) fits in with the “arrive alive! road safety strategy”, as you claim. If anything, all the new law will achieve is to force drivers to be more vigilant of their speedometer (to avoid a speeding fine that will accrue them demerit points) and thus pay somewhat less attention to what is happening on the road around them.

Like most drivers, I rate my safety and the safety of other road users around me as the single most important concern when I am driving – more important than breaking the law. I would prefer to concentrate on the road and unknowingly speed a little rather than injure others or myself due to spending too much time checking the speedometer.

To me, this is what road safety is about – preventing accidents by being alert, paying careful attention to the road and other road users, knowing exactly what is going on around you and being aware of what could potentially happen – not simply obeying the speed limit by keeping your eyes fixed to the speedometer and hoping everything else will be fine. Propaganda such as the “Speed Kills” campaign has fed the belief that by simply not speeding you will be a safe driver. It needs to be stressed by authorities and advertising campaigns that road safety problems cannot be solved by simply obeying the speed limit. I have completed several defensive driver training courses, and at not one of those was there discussion relating to speed limits. This is because they realise that there are plenty of other far more important issues to be addressed in order to improve the level of safety for road users.

In your letter you urged “all learner and probationary drivers to drive responsibly and help reduce the unacceptably high number of novice driver deaths on our roads”. You are on the right track with this statement, but I cannot see how imposing tougher penalties and the looming threat of losing one’s license will help people to “drive responsibly”. If anything it will cause people to be nervous about driving, paying less attention to the road and more to their speedometer.

Finally, the new rules seem unfair. “Novice” drivers have more potential to accrue demerit points, but can accrue less points before losing their license (than more experienced drivers). Why should “novice” drivers be expected to be better drivers and commit less traffic offences than more experienced drivers? With less driving experience our car control skills are not as good as that of drivers with more years experience, and this should be recognised. After all, a “novice” driver is just that – a NOVICE, a beginner. If anything “novice” drivers should be able to accrue a larger number of demerit points than more experienced drivers before losing their license. We are still learning to drive. Go easy on us.

Firm and unjust law changes such as those you detailed in your letter will only breed a culture of contempt for law-makers. This will flow onto contempt for those who enforce the laws – the police force. This will ultimately be detrimental to society. Law-makers and the police force need respect for society to function correctly. Respect is earned, and by implementing these discriminatory laws you have lost some of my respect.

Yours Sincerely

Greg *******

Probationary Driver

Hear Hear, Greg.

I always thought our parents had it easy in the "good old days", but now I consider my probationary period the "good old days" compared to what you guys have to go through now. And I only got off them at the beginning of this year!

-Greg. (also)

"regarding loss of license for learner and probationary drivers"

woah its for learners too ??? I thought the supervising driver was considered the driver and all fines go to them.