SAU Community

R34 Gtt Intercooler Kit

cthawes

I've been on the search for one pretty much since I bought my R34gtt - still nothing I can find off the shelf that 'just works' yet - and pretty much everyone (including manufacturers) I've talked to saying 'you're never going to find something that does without going a custom core & piping'. There is the ARC SMIC, but that's not an FMIC, the core size doesn't (to me) seem like much of an upgrade, and it's quite expensive (unless you can find one second-hand at a reasonable price).

I've seen a few people on the forums using an XR6T core or uprated (larger) XR6T core with custom piping to the factory location, but given the XR6T core size vs factory R34 GTT size, it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade - though the slightly larger/uprated XR6T core size might be a go. Either way, it still isn't something straight off the shelf that you can bolt in yourself.

Given the legalities here in SA for me, I'm not risking putting an FMIC on my car unless I have guarantees that it doesn't cut anything (which can result in losing my insurance coverage or breaking ADRs - resulting in a defect situation). I've witnessed firsthand how anal the vehicle inspectors can be - it's just not worth it to me.

• 1 month later...

What about this HDI GT spec intercooler kit?

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Hd...co-t297766.html

Looks like thats a diy bolt on kit.

From the power list of rb25s, looks like its well worth the effort:

R34 GT-T (Manual)

Blitz LM Pod Filter with Cold Air Feed

HDI GT Spec Intercooler

Custom 3" Turbo Back Exhaust

Stock Turbo

Stock Internals

Stock Boost Controller

Stock Tune

207.9 RWKW @ 11 PSI

I am looking at getting one myself!

Edited by Harey

I dont see anywhere there that it says no cutting required? Or did i miss it?

All the Japanese and Chinese kits are "Bolt on", but the bits around them dont bolt back on without a trim here and there...

If you do it very carefully you can do it to such tight clearances that if you get it all filed back nice and painted, its hard to spot.

You can also paint the core black so its not noticed either.

Infact i just read the installation for them, and they are even worse for cutting/smashing/bending than any other japanese or chonese kit i have ever seen lol

Wow yeah i did too, theres heaps of modding required!

Woops, sorry for the mislead.

Wow yeah i did too, theres heaps of modding required!

Woops, sorry for the mislead.

they take no more cutting than the rest they just tell you about it where the others dont . look in the stagea section . there is an abundance of people with fmic that return through standard pipe

JustJap.com have a return flow type intercooler that is bolt on for the R34 GTT, I am looking to install one of thes.

http://justjap.com/store/product.php?produ...=1&featured

This would ultimately be the best/no cut up your car install for the money!

For the price of the Blitz CS, i wouldnt even look at the JJR one.

• 1 month later...

I just put in the blitz one on the weekend. Extremely happy with it!

Required a small amount cutting of cutting of the front brace thing, (not sure what you call it, bit of metal that sits in front of the thermo fan, between the lights). But this amount of cutting to less than 5 mins with the cordless angle grinder...

Out of my stock bumper i cut the whole black middle plastic part out + a tiny bit more of the white plastic. also had to cut alot out of the right air intake piece (infront of old side mount).

The piping was a perfect fit and the mounting required NO bashing at all! used 2 small washers to mount it a couple of mm forward to clear the thermo fan motor.

I'll get a pic up for ya when i get a chance

I just put in the blitz one on the weekend. Extremely happy with it!

Required a small amount cutting of cutting of the front brace thing, (not sure what you call it, bit of metal that sits in front of the thermo fan, between the lights). But this amount of cutting to less than 5 mins with the cordless angle grinder...

Out of my stock bumper i cut the whole black middle plastic part out + a tiny bit more of the white plastic. also had to cut alot out of the right air intake piece (infront of old side mount).

The piping was a perfect fit and the mounting required NO bashing at all! used 2 small washers to mount it a couple of mm forward to clear the thermo fan motor.

I'll get a pic up for ya when i get a chance

Cool - looking forward to seeing the pic!

I've sold a few of these kits already and not one customer has made any complaints on the ease of installation.

Yeah the only thing I was really worried about is having to cut bits of the car away!

I guess you would know though - are there any coolers available suiting the gtt where you wouldn't have to cut anything?

• Like 1

After insatlling this one, I'd say there's just no way you could get a decent sized intercooler into the front without the need to cut anything at all...

But there really was f-all metal to cut out to fit this one. It was just the metal bracket that goes in between the front lights. Had to trim it so it went over the top of the cooler.

19022010605.jpg

Wish i took more pics of the install and what i had to cut out... but i was too keen to get it back in and going

24022010616.jpg

Really need to get one of those small number plates now to get full use of the cooler