SAU Community

Auto-wing Mirror Retract Unit For R33's

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 33 has always done this... I just leave the switch in the 'extend' setting and it retracts when I take the key out and extends when I put it back in... I can lock them out by putting it into 'neutral' once they're out... I always thought this was just a standard feature! Stock Series 1 R33... maybe I'll have to have a poke around and see if there's any funny business going on behind there...

So does it fit R32?

Should work fine. Just don't know which wires to cut on the loom. I've been trying to get a hold of wiring diagrams for the R32 and R34 cabin without any luck. But:

FOR R32 and R34 owners: You can check to see if you've got the following 4 wires behind your Mirror control switch:

DARK GREEN with black stripe

CYAN with black stripe

CYAN with yellow stripe

BLACK

If you pop out the switch assembly panel (the small switch panel that controls the mirrors), you can check the wire colours.

Easiest way to do this is pull the fuse panel off and push the switch panel out from underneath. Would do it myself but don't have access to either of these models.

My 33 has always done this... I just leave the switch in the 'extend' setting and it retracts when I take the key out and extends when I put it back in... I can lock them out by putting it into 'neutral' once they're out... I always thought this was just a standard feature! Stock Series 1 R33... maybe I'll have to have a poke around and see if there's any funny business going on behind there...

hmm, yeah not sure, sounds like it's been customised. Would be interested to know how it had been done if you end up checking it.

hmm, yeah not sure, sounds like it's been customised. Would be interested to know how it had been done if you end up checking it.

Hey all,

Just installed one of these units courtesy of Tom and works a treat.

My car (R33 SII '96) has a turbo timer too, mirror's fold in after the timer expires and engine turns off with no problems.

Haven't had any issues, installation was pretty easy - great instructions that come with it too! The unit itself is nice and neat, very proffessional.

Nice work Tom...what are you going to come up with next!??

Hey all,

My car (R33 SII '96) has a turbo timer too, mirror's fold in after the timer expires and engine turns off with no problems.

Haven't had any issues, installation was pretty easy - great instructions that come with it too! The unit itself is nice and neat, very proffessional.

Also forgot to mention - mine never auto retracted, didn't matter what position the switch was in. If I left it in the extend position, once the engine was switched off they stayed extended. Only ever folded in manually, then had to flick the switch to get them back out next time.

Seems strange for an OEM to have different functions on the same model...I would think that some peoples must have been customized.

When I installed mine, still had what looked like the factory tape/quality check marks etc on the loom so looked pretty standard.

Hey all,

Cheers mate, appreciate the feedback! Yeah I was confident there wouldn't be any dramas with the turbo timer in there as well. Just means it waits until the timer has done it's business first.

No idea what the next project will be. Finished the prototype for the digital boost gauge a while back (see attached) aptly named 'Poo Gauge'. Haven't taken it any further though.

post-59038-1265254320_thumb.jpg

There's a tonne of stuff I'd like to do (EBC, digital tacho, boost cut, injector duty cycle sensor etc.) IE stuff that's mostly been done before! :happy: Just depends on how much longer I'm unemployed for.

Solid mod!

Think it will suit c34 stageas aswell?

We have a three stage switch for wing mirror fold, fold in-n-fold out

Yeah can't see why not. might be different coloured wires on the loom though.

+1 My 34 is the same, but it retracts when i lock it and extends when i turn the ignition on.

+1 My 34 is the same, but it retracts when i lock it and extends when i turn the ignition on.

I'm getting the feeling this is probably a feature that comes with some alarm systems maybe?

Picked my unit up from Tom yesterday. Really knowledgable guy. I highly recommend him.

Thx mate, nice '33 you got there! Did you have any dramas installing it? On that note - I encourage people to have a go at installing it themselves. Really not that hard. Attached is the installation instructions.

MIRROR_CONTROL_UNIT_INSTALLATION_GUIDE.pdf

I.. Am.. Not... Jealous

PS.. love the instructions.. Call it "the unit"... hehehehe UNIT

and step 5.. Let it dangle out.. misses would love me working on the car now :P can't see how it makes the soldering easier though

Edited by .:: GimpS-R34 ::.

I.. Am.. Not... Jealous

PS.. love the instructions.. Call it "the unit"... hehehehe UNIT

and step 5.. Let it dangle out.. misses would love me working on the car now :) can't see how it makes the soldering easier though

I also had "step 15: drink beer" in there, but thought I'd take it just to make it look a little more professional :P