SAU Community

Car Maintenance Lessons??

krptr

hey guys, im not sure if we already do this at the club but was wondering what you guys think about us having car maintenance lessons.

I always see people posting up threads on how to change oil etc so though it might be a good idea to have lessons for members less knowledgable like myself on how to do such things.

We could charge a small fee for those that want to attend to cover venue and associated costs with the remaining funds going to the maintenance of the club or a charity.

what do you think??

the guys on WRX.net.au already are doing something like this. Except it's for free by a workshop called NRG.

Maybe a workshop in Melbroune will do the same?

Hello All,  

The kind folks at NRG would like to run a techie / maintenance day for Rexnet dudes.  

It will be either Satuday 17th or Saturday 24th of January.  

4 or so cars will be chosen and have various servicing / maintenance procedures carried out by NRG Mechanics whilst keen onlookers are free to ask silly questions.  

I will be looking for volunteers cars as well so let me know if you have a service coming up.  

NRG will carry out all labour free of charge on the cars chosen.  

Could you please let me know if you are keen on coming along and what sort of procedures you would like to see.  

My Suggestions (from previous days) would be :  

1 Full Service ie 100,000 km with all the bells and whistles  

2 Brake Pad / Disc Change with Brake Bleeding  

3 Wheel Alignment  

4 ?  

Various suppliers such as Redline, Noltec, Motul and Turboxs will be in attendance and we will probably have a bbq and drinks available.  

Cheers

yeai am allfor this as i am not the most technical person however it would be better not charging people to learn about their car??? well unless those people really want too. setting up links like this http://www.pulsar.org.au/tech.php this way people who do know stuff can post up a like howto on doing these thingswith some photos... this also enables people in rural areas to get the knowledge too what do you think ???

Guest RedLineGTR

it takes time for a workshop to get something like this and the fact of the matter is that most of the stuff u want to know can be found by either using the "search" button on the forums. Some stuff is better left to the professionals if u want a seminar of some sort..just get the workshop manual for the whole car for like $250 bucks :D and it tells you everything u want to know and how to do it. I;m sure the seminar would cost somewhere near that plus you need some documentation to use at home that also costs money...also how many people will turn up to these?? will it be paid session per session or a full payment for 10 lessons or whatever..Simple get a book and read it..u can also keep it forever :( my 2 cents

a workshop would have to be bloody generous to hold one of these for free:D:D (damn rexy forum!!)i wouldnt mind parting with 10bucks or so each lesson just to see how things done. would be a good idea to probably have it say once a month with a topic say changin sparkies this month and changin springs/coilovers next month and if theres enough interest go ahead with it. i dunno, but it would be great to see this happenin in melb.

Im with you Airzone, I need to see it to understand it and actually say that I can do it.

I imagine that this would be a monthly thing (depending on interest) and I dont think that people would mind parting with say 5 or 10 bucks to get this kind of info and hands on advice... I know I wouldnt.

Would be sweet to have it in Melb Mr Fanny (that sounds weird) but Im struggling to find out who from the Admins is located in Melb and can point us in the right direction. Can you guys help me on this?

Thanks,

Terry