SAU Community

What Is Everyone's Obsession With Saying 'jdm'?

Rolls

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What pisses me off is people with stickers that say "JDM as f**k". From a literal point of view it doesn't even make sense.

How can one be Japanese domestic Market as f**k. WOW MAN STRAIGHT OUTTA THE JDM . f**k YEAH.

People use a lot of words in common usage in ways that are away from the literal or original meaning. People describe wheels as sick, or an exhaust as sounding angry. Wheels do not in fact get ill, and exhaust gasses do not have emotion, angry or otherwise. This doesn't make these people wrong though, in the same way people using JDM in some cases where they dont literally mean it. JDM seems to be used as a shortening of JDM style (there might even be a forum about it;) ) If you said JDM or JDM style to someone in the car scene they would probably think of carbon parts, one or two tone paint jobs without candy or stripes, understated and light weight wheels and functional interior mods like a bride seat and a guage or two. The fact that people think of that when people say JDM means it does have a meaning other than its literal one. my 2c.

and for todays trivia, seems relevant :)

"Originally in Greek the word idiotes meant “a private person,” that is, just your average Joe."

do you get all upset about the term 'mag' as well? I'm sure there's other terms around that evolved in common usage to describe something other than its original literal definition.

ahaha, this reminds me of the pulsar forums. they use "jap spec" for some of the n14's because series 1 n14's were built in australia and the series 2 were built in japan then imported by nissan. so they call the series 2 jap spec, although they are actually the same spec as the aussie ones and different spec to the JDM ones. there are a few slight difference in the appearance of the s1 and s2 n14's but it is just like the s1 and s2 r33's.

and then there are guys on there with actual JDM pulsars. gets a bit confusing. the way that they talk about jap spec you would think that they are actually talking about JDM pulsars. but they will also use the term JDM on parts as the JDM pulsars had different grills one some models that didn't make it to the australian market.

you f**king aussies with your "sex spec" translated to english it means "need for speed car" as in the cars you end up with in need for speed pro street '' pay all this money for a high watermark car . pay more money for a "race engine" . pay someone to put a big body kit . pay a shit load for 20 inches of gay ness tucked right under the guards . and then full the whole boot with some vinyll covered boxes . then cover the interior with material from austin powers . yeah these are show cars but whats the piont if they are all the f**kING same . yeah they got different colors and diff wheels .wohoo

its sad really because its all you ever see in your mags when there are websites that contain more knowledge and experience than i could ever hope to have

you f**king aussies with your "sex spec" translated to english it means "need for speed car" as in the cars you end up with in need for speed pro street '' pay all this money for a high watermark car . pay more money for a "race engine" . pay someone to put a big body kit . pay a shit load for 20 inches of gay ness tucked right under the guards . and then full the whole boot with some vinyll covered boxes . then cover the interior with material from austin powers . yeah these are show cars but whats the piont if they are all the f**kING same . yeah they got different colors and diff wheels .wohoo

its sad really because its all you ever see in your mags when there are websites that contain more knowledge and experience than i could ever hope to have

Most of us on the forum don't need to pay more for a "race engine". Most of us, afterall have "race breed" engines from factory which is what RB stands for after all...right? :D (Relax, douches, I know that's not what it stands for...)

On a serious note...did anyone else get kinda lost reading this? I don't understand what being aussie has anything to do with...well...anything to do with this topic. I thought we were talking about JDM here? Not modifying a car to make it look like something from Fast and Furious. Which then would probably make it far from JDM in the first place...

I think you have a problem, perhaps, with people who "rice" their cars?

I do not understand this craze, everyone is always saying MAD TYPE JDM BRO on their sales and threads. It just means Japanese Domestic Market, what is so amazing about this?

It's because they don't sell Kool-Aid down here, and we all know caps lock is cruise control for awesome.

i'd say everyone that's into jdm would know what the acronym stands for... but the fact is that the term jdm now refers to a particular way of modding a car.

go fast mods before cosmetic, functional, flush fitment, stretched tyres, low, basic colours, lightweight, matte etc etc.

like it or not, it has entered the common vernacular.

just as fag used to mean cigarette, or gay used to mean happy

lachlanw wtf lol, where are you from?

'sex style' IMO seems to be more in line with the US 'take' on JDM styling.

To me, to say something is JDM means that it was either a product which was not sold here initially, or as an adjective to describe as above, a car modded conservatively and tastefully, but still maintaining a sense of harmony throughout the car (ie not having 20" Dolce rims on an R32, or LMGT4's on a Celsior).

Edited by bozodos

Honda owners use it A LOT.

Generally they use it for Hondas because there is a fair difference between the JDM/USDM/NZDM/ADM versions. The JDM being the better of the lot.

For example, a USDM Integra Type R doesnt even have Recaro seats, just shitty Integra seats with Red stitching. Older generation Cam covers etc. And the Japanese facelift DC2 was the only Integra that didnt have the twin Oo oO Headlights.

And the JDM engines generally come with around 10hp more because of tune etc.

But, everyone is still correct, most people just throw it out there to try make their car sound like its better than another.

I never got the term sex spec, do they splooge all over their ghey arse rims to keep the shine?

I can't tell the difference between actual chromies & chrome hubcaps, they both look plastic