SAU Community

E36 / Rb30 Build Up..

Cre8toR

Hey guys!

My name is Jayden im from syd..

I am new the world of RB`s and i only have very basic knowledge, So a little help would be hugely appreciated. But this is the motor I want to use, so I am prepared to learn lol

Basically I own two E36 bmw`s one of them i have pulled the motor out of and replacing it with and RB30/25, Keeping it N/A for the moment. I have a VL with the motor a manual gear box already, just a matter of pulling it out grabbing a 25 head and etc and then building it up. If anyone has the parts I need I am would be very interested in them. I will throw some pics up when I can but there isn’t really all that much to see at the moment apart from an E36 without a motor lmao any tips or help would be greatly appreciated also

There are a few things I would like to clear up, because I am going for the 25 head do I have to run the 25 loom as well? The the 25 ECU will run it im pretty sure but I am planning to run an aftermarket computer anyways so that doesn’t really matter..

Cheers guys =)

rb30 would be awesome in a e36 mate - i had a 3L M3 motor and running gear in my e36 convertible - went really well.

a 25 loom would make it much easier to run all of the electronics so you've got all of the plugs etc. the only issue is that the ECU location of the E36 is in the engine bay against the firewall on the drivers side, the r33 rb25det loom is in the passenger seat footwell. the r33 loom you get will need to be chopped to have the ECU sit in the right place.

thats pretty much all i can comment on so good luck with the build!

RB26's have been done in a few e30BMWs in South Africa. Not sure about RB30's and the deck height in the E30 engine bay.

Your chassis is going to need some strengthening.. it will start tearing with all the torque put out.. seen it before

Thanks for the info guys, Will the RB25 run ECU run the the 3L bottom end just to get me started? Im pretty sure im going to have to mod the sump pretty heavily to make it fit, But i think it will fit once that is dont, Another option is to run a dry sump.. Pricey but that may be what i have to do.. The Chassis should be ok for now while it is N/A i think?

Anyways, Im just in the process of hunting down a 25 top end, so i can start fitting the motor, If i try and fit it before i do this when i bolt the head on i might have clearence issues and have to fab mounts again etc etc mean while looking for wirring diagrams for the E36 and Rb25 also just doing some reasearch on how to do the 30\25 head conversion.. So far seems pretty straight forward.. hopefully in a few weeks ill have the gear and be rolling =)

Cheers for the comments!

get a greddy plenum to help you with height. i'd think you would need one anyway because if there is any piping at the front of the motor the bonnet wont close - just a thought.

an rb25 ecu will get you through the run-in period but you would definitely need to sort something out afterward.

the e36 318i chassis is just like the e36 m3 chassis and thats a 3L too - i dont see how it would be a problem.

Well the plan is to eventually go DETT but that would be Waaaayyyy off.. So maybe then i will have to strengthen it when i do decide to go twin but for now i think i need to be sinking my money into getting it running properly and realiably as a solid base to build up from.. I will look into that plenum, Do you know where i can find this lol? I will wait and see how the standard one fits up first though.. See the probalem is that BMW Tilt there motors to the side so they sit lower and can have a lower hood line.. Not only is the RB a monster compaired to the stocker but i cant tilt the Rb because all the oil will run to one side and eventually distroy cams etc.. This is my view on it, If im wrong by all means correct me!

Really appreciate all the help too =)

with a greddy or other type of low plenum you wont have to worry about tilting the motor - your main concern will be getting the sump to clear the crossmember.

tilting the rb30 will be shit for height clearances - its not an option unless you go custom sump and oil pickup.

get the plenum from ebay.

Well i put down a deposit on an RB25det last night comes with everything bar the turbo manifold, turbo etc etc.. Should hopefully be getting it this weekend, The head has a bent or sticky vaulve by the sounds of it though. But for the price i got the whole lot for i think its well worth it. Also means i dont have to hunt around for parts and sensors individually. Wooop Woop

back in 2006 me and my mate put an RB20 in my E36..

have since pulled out the RB20 and installed RB26..!

there's 16 pages in my build thread on eurocca.net -> http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php?t=17736

should keep you busy. Note the custom sump you'll have to build ;-)

keep us posted!

Chris.

because there'll be no stuffing around with an s50 engine into an e36..! and what's the price difference?

cmon can't beat the old jap-euro tagteam!!!

Edited by kristafa

I just thought it would be a lot nicer to have a beautiful m3 engine inside the car. I am sure many people have done it before and would know how to do it. Hell, even use a 3.2 lt engine or when he gets bored with that use the V8 or the V10 out of the M5...

I know I would much rather have the m3 engine inside it than a dirty cast iron thirty.

Edit, engines are bout 3k

Edited by [200]

rb30's are cheap to maintain, cheap to build and cheap to modify in comparison (i paid $8,000 for a m3 rebuild which only included rings, crank and bearings).

3-400kw in an rb30 for $6-7k is an easy accomplishment these days. you're pretty much stuck with the power you have standard with anything else that will fit straight in unless you throw in a super/turbo charger and then you're already over what your budget would've been if you throw in an rb30/2jz etc etc.

He wants to keep it N/A though.

Forced induction then yeah for sure, but I would even consider a VQ37 over the 30, but that's just me...

You've done the conversion and know more about it.

BTW, complete running S50 engines in the states are about 2k onwards.

he's stated in his opening post that its staying N/A for the time being. im sure you'll understand that going through a build you will cut things out that arent absolutely necessary - turbo side of things must have been his.

if he was going to keep it N/A he would've also just used an rb30e long block, instead hes got the rb25 head so id assume he is keeping his options open to further modify the engine.

i'd still recommend the rb30 over a vq30 because your options are still alot wider open. vq30 would go for approx 7k and if you're going to spend that, you might as well go for a vk45 for a bit extra, but then you're spending 10k for a motor that will be an incredibly tight fit and at the end of the day you're stuck with a 10k motor that is still standard, then parts for modifications are expensive and really, an e36 isnt exactly a car you put these things into.

spend 10k on an rb30 and bla bla bla etc, you know where im going with this.