SAU Community

Installed Ap Slotted Rotors And Carbotech Pads

09GTR

Hi guys,

having smashed up my original stocker pads and rotors, and a set of Endless MX 72s, I've now installed AP slotted rotors and Carbotech 12 brakepads.

The pads are primarily for track use, but a lot of the guys in the US are using them for street and track. Initial feedback from street use is really strong initial bite, very strong all the way to standstill when hot, but a little noisy when cold at low speed.

There is no doubt the stopping power is significant with this set up.

Next track day is Oran Park on Jan 14th. Get yourselves along to this one as its the last open day ever at OP.

I managed a 1:48.5 at Eastern Creek last week. Given it was the first time I've ever driven that circuit I was happy with that. Of course Luffy did a 1.44 in a stocker in the Motor Mag test, so there is plenty of improving to do for me.....

My 20 inch dunlops have done 80-odd laps of bathurst, 35-odd laps of EC, and still have lots of life left in them!!! The Dunlop is a much better tyre than the Bridgestone, which barely lasted one decent track day.

One last thing - I had to replace my Ozzy Cozzy today - the bugs from Bathurst melted into the plastic and completely ruined it. The lesson here is wash the bugs off the Ozzy Cozzy straight away (ie. dont let the filthy car sit in a workshop for two weeks).

the xp12's have great bite. i've been running them for a few months. after some easy road k's they will squeal like a p i g it's embarrassing. i usually swap in a set of ds2500's for the road. sorry but i think they are going to drive you nuts. pretty good for the track though.

why not enter the NSW supersprint at OP, January 17? just a thought.

Edited by LSX-438

Hi guys,

having smashed up my original stocker pads and rotors, and a set of Endless MX 72s, I've now installed AP slotted rotors and Carbotech 12 brakepads.

The pads are primarily for track use, but a lot of the guys in the US are using them for street and track. Initial feedback from street use is really strong initial bite, very strong all the way to standstill when hot, but a little noisy when cold at low speed.

There is no doubt the stopping power is significant with this set up.

Next track day is Oran Park on Jan 14th. Get yourselves along to this one as its the last open day ever at OP.

I managed a 1:48.5 at Eastern Creek last week. Given it was the first time I've ever driven that circuit I was happy with that. Of course Luffy did a 1.44 in a stocker in the Motor Mag test, so there is plenty of improving to do for me.....

My 20 inch dunlops have done 80-odd laps of bathurst, 35-odd laps of EC, and still have lots of life left in them!!! The Dunlop is a much better tyre than the Bridgestone, which barely lasted one decent track day.

One last thing - I had to replace my Ozzy Cozzy today - the bugs from Bathurst melted into the plastic and completely ruined it. The lesson here is wash the bugs off the Ozzy Cozzy straight away (ie. dont let the filthy car sit in a workshop for two weeks).

It was a great track day at EC. You are right about the Bridgestones. Mine felt like they were overcooked after the first session. From then on it was over-steer, followed by four-wheel drift, followed by

a 45 degree drift, all in the space of 50m. Still, I am not too unhappy with 1:50.36 in a stock car. My next set will probably be Dunlops.

I thought that you were happy with your MX72... until your left wheel became a major fire hazard after the last session!

As far as Motor PCOTY results are concerned I am a bit puzzled. The fastest speed down the straight achieved by Luffy was 237kph- I did 243 on every lap without braking too late at 150m mark.

Same with Turn 1: he did 164kph, I entered every lap at 185kph and hit 206kph before braking at Turn 2. I suspect that you went a lot quicker, but your car is not quite stock any more...

How did he ever get 1:44.2 at that rate?

Their acceleration times 0-100 at 3.95sec and 400m at 12.95 are pretty ordinary too, at least 0.2sec off the pace.

When will these journos learn to ask for some advice on launching the GT-R from guys who have owned these cars for 8 months not 2 hours?

At least they can use the brakes properly: GT-R got first place 100-0 at 35.13m!

Edited by GT-Ricer

It was a great track day at EC. You are right about the Bridgestones. Mine felt like they were overcooked after the first session. From then on it was over-steer, followed by four-wheel drift, followed by

a 45 degree drift, all in the space of 50m. Still, I am not too unhappy with 1:50.36 in a stock car. My next set will probably be Dunlops.

I thought that you were happy with your MX72... until your left wheel became a major fire hazard after the last session!

As far as Motor PCOTY results are concerned I am a bit puzzled. The fastest speed down the straight achieved by Luffy was 237kph- I did 243 on every lap without braking too late at 150m mark.

Same with Turn 1: he did 164kph, I entered every lap at 185kph and hit 206kph before braking at Turn 2. I suspect that you went a lot quicker, but your car is not quite stock any more...

Their acceleration times 0-100 at 3.95sec and 400m at 12.95 are pretty ordinary too, at least 0.2sec off the pace.

When will these journos learn to ask for some advice on launching the GT-R from guys who have owned these cars for 8 months not 2 hours?

At least they can use the brakes properly: GT-R got first place 100-0 at 35.13m!

I have to say I wasn't paying much attention to my speedo!!!! I'm going to have to invest in a driftbox/incar video setup so I can analyse this sort of thing. Check out Duncan's video of his 1:44 lap at EC and you'll see a luff-like lap. I reckon you are glimpsing the speedo at the wrong time. Duncan was doing mid 160s through turn one if my memory serves me correct, I think I was too. Sure enough, I',m turning in at 190 odd, but on the apex its definitely more like 165. As for the straight - I'm seeing 250s, then smashing those MX72s like they've never been smashed before- hence the smoke! The MX 72s delaminated after Bathurst, and have never been the same again.

I'll look into the supersprint Duncan, you could give me some tips!! I'll let you know hoe the Carbotechs go on the street.

My speedo reads about 6 kph fast at 100 so assuming you were just looking at your speedo it could have just been speedo error. I can imagine it could easily be 10-12 kph out at 240 clicks! Also the text in that article is at odds with the VBox data. They claimed he was going through turn 1 at 195 in the article, same as a V8 supercar...Lot of insoncistensies in that article, not just the result :)

...Lot of insoncistensies in that article, not just the result :D

Apparently GT-R brakes have shrunk from 380mm F&R to 360mm F / 330mm R just for this test... but they still outperformed everybody!

Can't they copy the brochure without silly errors like that?