SAU Community

2860-5 Too Much Lag

trvgtr

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check your timing. I had a couple degrees off and it affected my spool on my Nismo turbos by about 800rpm. Never hurts to check since its quick.

will do cheers

I know its a little off-topic but why not use cam gears?

They made a big difference on my stock turbo's in terms of where the boost starts :bunny:

Good luck with the other issues, 300kw is pretty low for those turbo's and I think I saw your power graph is the RB26 sticky, didn't look too good (yet) :banana:

I agree. how could they charge you for a tune and say "here you go" giving you back a car that is not right.

the right think to do would have been run it up on the dyno and call you and let you know what was going on before handing the car back. that s just shonky... really...

I agree. how could they charge you for a tune and say "here you go" giving you back a car that is not right.

the right think to do would have been run it up on the dyno and call you and let you know what was going on before handing the car back. that s just shonky... really...

I couldn't agree more. Surely they new something was wrong whilst it was on the dyno.

How do you work that out?

Removing the line simply lets them run off the actuators, if still connected.

That will not hold them shut.

Therefore it is not as you said, closed the whole time, it is still riding on the actuators being setup correctly to stay closed.

Something that is yet to be confirmed and the most likely cause at this stage.

Have a read of what you typed above...do some thinking...and re-type it.

Hopefully you have just been unable to explain yourself properly.

If you really believe what is stated above then thats a little embarrasing.

I used to rip my actuator lines off, fold the feed line over and cable tie it shut at dyno comps. Max boost max hp...thats why...its the only way to make over 2.5bar on 2530's. The actuators were set with a spring pressure of 17psi.

I used to rip my actuator lines off, fold the feed line over and cable tie it shut at dyno comps. Max boost max hp...thats why...its the only way to make over 2.5bar on 2530's. The actuators were set with a spring pressure of 17psi.

Haha thats awesome.

Ye.. nfi what i was thinking to be honest, very incorrecto i am :)

Maybe the actuator arms themselves i was confused over. Been along week :bunny:

Ye.. nfi what i was thinking to be honest, very incorrecto i am :)

Maybe the actuator arms themselves i was confused over. Been along week :geek:

Id say you were still well spannered from birthday festivities...my birthday was 5 days before yours and im still not real flash.

Ive had to back up on friday for my daughters 16th...but im also a lot closer to 100 than you so ill be doing my best to use that as an excuse. :bunny:

Edited by DiRTgarage

I know its a little off-topic but why not use cam gears?

They made a big difference on my stock turbo's in terms of where the boost starts :bunny:

Good luck with the other issues, 300kw is pretty low for those turbo's and I think I saw your power graph is the RB26 sticky, didn't look too good (yet) :)

300 is the norm @ 15-16psi... they dont wake up till 19-22psi.... hello 380-410rwkw on pulp. But yeah cam gears on these turbos are worth about 300-400rpm on std cams and std bottom end.

not the first time.. a mate was given back his car with no actual dyno sheet... "about 200" they said. tuned by the owner himself... admitedly tho it did drive good and make over 200 on a ISMR dyno day lol

on topic, I would definately consult CRD before proceeding.. if they know youve tampered with it they may call your fault, which is what I would personally expect.. Play dumb and take it back with a blank face and a question mark, that way they try to work out something they should have when they actually tuned the car (and dont hit you with another bill).

my 2c

That is correct, but only because your preload was set correctly. If this guy has a gate slightly open, disconnecting the vac line will not reveal the problem.

In your case, the gates were clearly shut tight, disconnecting the vac lines will ensure they stay shut.

Are we sure something hasn't happened post tune, everyone seems quick to judge.

im with you on that one Trent...just didn't want to be the 1st to say it.

i laugh at guys having a dig at one of the best GTR workshops on the planet. The calibre of cars to come out of this workshop is top class.

I never ask for a dyno sheet also...i generally dont give a crap what the dyno tells me it makes. Its how it performs on the road/track that is a true measure of a cars performance.

OK this car has an issue...why come on here and ask?...all you will get is mixed guesses from a heap of guys who in reality know f*ck all. Take it back to CRD and get it all sorted.

i laugh at guys having a dig at one of the best GTR workshops on the planet. The calibre of cars to come out of this workshop is top class.

I never ask for a dyno sheet also...i generally dont give a crap what the dyno tells me it makes. Its how it performs on the road/track that is a true measure of a cars performance.

OK this car has an issue...why come on here and ask?...all you will get is mixed guesses from a heap of guys who in reality know f*ck all. Take it back to CRD and get it all sorted.

and bingo was his name O

I totally agree with you, crd are definitly good at what they do hence why i took it there in the first place. I fitted these turbo's myself and they were laggy before i sent it to crd, like i said before iam not blaming them. The car is going back to them in the new year so they can hopefully sort it out. The reason i posted on here is to see if anyone had seen this problem before as id rather see if i could work it out before taking it back to crd and getting slapped with another bill.

I had some lag and no midrange with my 2530's, wouldn't get serious till after 5500rpm!

After checking everything, found out the cam timing was way retarded (like 5 teeth out or something!) due to the keyway on the crank desintegrating and allowing the cam gear on the crank to slip.

This was due to the harmonic balancer bolt coming loose!

After I got it fixed I got my midrange etc back!!

Being way retarded it put out some wicked flames when changing gears!!

What does that have to do with the service they provided to this guy/Travis?

For an average joe blo it seems they dont give a f**k.

Unless you throw money at them, they simply dont seem to care.

You know what they told him? theyre words were " haha we told you , you need a EBC, cams and cam gears " when he went back to tell them its too laggy and what can be the cause of the problem, they werent interested in giving him some idea's or spend an extra 5/10min talking to him about it, or even quickly looking at it.

So it seems to me they are not interested in even looking at it unless he spends some more money on those items they mentioned, and even then, how much can those items bring the lag down? i doubt 2000rpm by what others are saying it should be.

They had the car, they dyno'd it THEY are professionals, yet they seen nothing wrong! or if they did, they couldnt be bothered calling him/talking to him to see if they can both come to a mutual agreement to sort it out.

You know how much they charged him for that tune? i'll tell you, $750, and now they want to charge him more and to buy some more gear!

$750 for a tune!!! and all they got to help him with was " buy cams, cam gears and EBC " wow...

I mean, sure, i dont think its laggy because they tuned it, it was laggy pre tune, im just annoyed at the fact they didnt do or say anything about it and or give him the option to try and fix it while there ( now getting the runaround ).

Example, if the turbo's are buggered, would you still tune it and play dumb, or would you call the customer up and save him some money and try and get the turbos rebuilt or at least an option etc?

If they have done hundreds and hundreds of these turbo setups and seen the lag that it has, it should of rang bells, and they could of went a different way about it, but they decided to take his money instead.

Tuners these days dont give a farq, they just want your money and be done with, they probably inserted a tune from another similar setup, did an hour if that on top and there you go, take it, she's all good mate...

Been there done that, i feel for this guy ( who i know btw, as some of you may ask yourself how i know all this stuff ).

I know i'll most likely get bagged here for saying all that, im fine with that :( but to hear how all this went is just way to wrong for me to say nothing, customer service goes a long way in my books.

Sorry to offend the die hard fans, but this is one :( from me.