SAU Community

Are There Any Private Run Ways For Hire Anywhere?

conan7772

I was watching on Fifth Gear, a segment on V-max, the largest car club in Europe.

All sorts of cars.

Anyway, the club hires a 2 mile long runway, and sets up a radar.

Then everyone one by one or two at a time, has a go at their top speed.

How cool is that !

Is this done in Australia anywhere legally ?

Sure would like to know how 300 feels. :banana:

Motor magazine does it all the time...somwhere in VIC i think. and a few other mags / dvds have used them...but they do have bucket loads of cash to hire an airport for a weekend

Cootamundra is where they do it at, i think you will find that it is easier with airstrips that don't have a lot of traffic particularly during the week.

Had a look on youtube. Only saw 1/4 mile passes.

Trouble is also, it's only 1 mile long.

Need one 2 miles !

Things in the UK aren't as difficult to arrange, from an official standpoint, as they are in Australia. Down here you need an environmental impact statement if you want to pre-plan sneezing in public.

I remember reading about "tunnel running" events. It was a properly organised event, where people just went around London, blocking off tunnels around the city, and accelerating hard. It wasn't a race or or time trial or anything, just an opportunity to hear your car's engine echoing off the walls.

Something like that would never get off the ground down here.

Things in the UK aren't as difficult to arrange, from an official standpoint, as they are in Australia. Down here you need an environmental impact statement if you want to pre-plan sneezing in public.

I remember reading about "tunnel running" events. It was a properly organised event, where people just went around London, blocking off tunnels around the city, and accelerating hard. It wasn't a race or or time trial or anything, just an opportunity to hear your car's engine echoing off the walls.

Something like that would never get off the ground down here.

True.

I remember now the Cannonball run that Alan Moffat organised in NT.

After the F40 crashed and 4 people died, they canned it forever.

It was a slightly risky event though with the roads still open to the public.

I mate of mine navigating in a Maserati Barchetta said they overtook a caravan at 240 km.

Yet the Targa Tasmania will carry on.

Hey it's MOTORSPORT - everyone knows the risks.

As for insurance, how does that work say on a track day.

Everyone signs a full disclaimer, so if something happens, then what ?

What will any insurance cover for a driver whose just waived all their rights anyway ?

The event organiser isn't liable for anything, the disclaimer is very concise.

Just BS to me.

There are a bunch of car event run at Mangalore airport in Vic as well - but again it just isn't that long.

The fact remains as far as I know the 2 best places in Oz you can do a fast run is Phillip Island race track (900m straight - but you enter the straight at around 180km/hr and exit at around the same speed so you have plenty of room for getting upto speed) - or Conrod straight at bathurst. But without 11ty KW's neither of them will let you crack 300.

The only airport that used to be long enough was Avalon but with the introduction of Jetstar that location is now closed to car goers.

Which leaves your only other option as the salt flats event held each year around Easter in S.A. - which is an 8km run.

There are a bunch of car event run at Mangalore airport in Vic as well - but again it just isn't that long.

The fact remains as far as I know the 2 best places in Oz you can do a fast run is Phillip Island race track (900m straight - but you enter the straight at around 180km/hr and exit at around the same speed so you have plenty of room for getting upto speed) - or Conrod straight at bathurst. But without 11ty KW's neither of them will let you crack 300.

The only airport that used to be long enough was Avalon but with the introduction of Jetstar that location is now closed to car goers.

Which leaves your only other option as the salt flats event held each year around Easter in S.A. - which is an 8km run.

I didn't know we had salt flats here in Oz.

Will look into it.

Phillip Island is definately on the agenda one day. Long way home for me though.

Bathurst isn't available as and open track day is it ?

Only Cams holders and special events I thought.

Cheers.

can't remember but it would not have been over 200....it was in the gtst which had about 160rwkw.

Eastern Creek straight is definately faster than a 1klm runway because even though it's shorter you enter it at 100, really quick cars do 240-280 there. And like Snowy said Phillip Island is an order of magnitude quicker because you enter it at 180

I would have though full laps of the bowl at Lang Langs would be worth doing snowy?

We were limitted to running 800m only as Holden didn't want people doing over 200kms/hr on there.

We cracked over 200 - but not by heaps. I think my GPS said it was around the 230km/hr mark. That being said the surface on there wasn't exactly brilliant so I can see why they wanted speeds keeps under control. It might be a high speed bowl but it sure aint a top speed bowl if that makes sense.

Going fast is cool. The fastest I've ever been was a tad over 230km/hr down the straight at Eastern Creek. My little S14 had not much left though. Was in 5th gear and reving around 6500rpm.

For ultimate top speed you'd have to check out the salt flats in SA. They hold a competition every year there.