SAU Community

R33 S2 Gets Very Hot On 40deg Plus Days

dyefuker

ok, so every day here in melbourne when the temperature gets much above 40deg, my R33 s2 trys to over heat,

on the highway or driving or around town, the temp neddle will slowly make its way from the normal half opertateing temp up to 3/4 if not a little higher, then the

car forces the air conditioner off and the car will slowly return to normal temps, then the a/c will come back on and it will happen over again, n again n again till i stop driving,

my car has recently had a full coolant flush, and was bled properly, the system has no leaks, the radiator and hoses hold presure, and it dosnt use any coolant what so ever, i also pulled over

and checked the other day as it was getting hot that both my fans were working, and yes both the clutch fan and front electric fans were on and blasting,

it has the standard original radiator, and everything else standard, apart from a full turbo back exhaust and gtr fmic,

i have no idea what is causeing this problem, and im just asumeing that the car just cant cope with the hot dry heat here in aus.

im open to any sugestions of ways to fix this, if my car does have a problem, or parts to upgrade to help keep her cool, eg larger radiator, dual elec fans or maby even turbo to cat exhaust pipe heat wraping???

as im sure, no one likes to see there skyline run that hot, even if it is on a 40deg plus day

any advice would be great, cheers, Rob.

Same problem here. i did all that plus made my electric fan direct, it also broke. the car still overheats. all i can think of is a vented hood now.

u cant run ac in summer i guess same like me. must be a problem with s2 or rb25det or sensors which i ordered from uk. i hope japan is a cold country and they didnt think about all this while make the engine.

ok, so every day here in melbourne when the temperature gets much above 40deg, my R33 s2 trys to over heat,

on the highway or driving or around town, the temp neddle will slowly make its way from the normal half opertateing temp up to 3/4 if not a little higher, then the

car forces the air conditioner off and the car will slowly return to normal temps, then the a/c will come back on and it will happen over again, n again n again till i stop driving,

my car has recently had a full coolant flush, and was bled properly, the system has no leaks, the radiator and hoses hold presure, and it dosnt use any coolant what so ever, i also pulled over

and checked the other day as it was getting hot that both my fans were working, and yes both the clutch fan and front electric fans were on and blasting,

it has the standard original radiator, and everything else standard, apart from a full turbo back exhaust and gtr fmic,

i have no idea what is causeing this problem, and im just asumeing that the car just cant cope with the hot dry heat here in aus.

im open to any sugestions of ways to fix this, if my car does have a problem, or parts to upgrade to help keep her cool, eg larger radiator, dual elec fans or maby even turbo to cat exhaust pipe heat wraping???

as im sure, no one likes to see there skyline run that hot, even if it is on a 40deg plus day

any advice would be great, cheers, Rob.

So if you don't have the A/C on does it still overheat?

I don't use my A/C all the time but when it has been really hot I use it and nothing happens. Although now that I think of it my mates car used to do that as well when he had the A/C on sometimes and that was a series 2. Something fishy is going on lol

something you should look into is the thermostat, water pump, radiator core for corrosion and end tanks, check temp sensor and the fact that you have a gtr front mount in front of the radiator if not correctly positioned will not allow enough air to flow through it into the radiator. just some suggestions.

Also what do you mean car forces the A/C of? Like it electronically turns it of on the climate control or can you just hear it not working?

Just throwing up a idea....someone can shoot it down later if wrong.

As the ambient temperature increases the compressor has to work harder e.g. drawing slightly more power so can this be taking power away from the water pump or adding heat somewhere else in the cooling system. Or as the refrigerant heats up more can this heat the coolant from somewhere?

Got this idea from a place that I used to work at they had large refrigeration units outside and whenever it got above 40 or so they used to always trip, so hence why I thought car compressor gets to hot and trips (overheats) the car.

something you should look into is the thermostat, water pump, radiator core for corrosion and end tanks, check temp sensor and the fact that you have a gtr front mount in front of the radiator if not correctly positioned will not allow enough air to flow through it into the radiator. just some suggestions.

thanks for your reply, i changed the thermostat at 100k major service to a nissan standard one, same with the water pump, as far as i know the radiator dosnt have much if any corosion, temp sensors is a possibility, but i dont think so as on days like 40+ n the car gets hot the over flow tank in my car will boil, so i think its prity spot on lol, never ever does that unless it gets really hot, gtr fmic could be a potential problem, its mounted best, but it was second hand and a fair bit of fins bent, i straightend as much as i could out, but that could be part of it, might try the stock side mount on the next stupidly hot day

Also what do you mean car forces the A/C of? Like it electronically turns it of on the climate control or can you just hear it not working?

Just throwing up a idea....someone can shoot it down later if wrong.

As the ambient temperature increases the compressor has to work harder e.g. drawing slightly more power so can this be taking power away from the water pump or adding heat somewhere else in the cooling system. Or as the refrigerant heats up more can this heat the coolant from somewhere?

Got this idea from a place that I used to work at they had large refrigeration units outside and whenever it got above 40 or so they used to always trip, so hence why I thought car compressor gets to hot and trips (overheats) the car.

cheers for the reply, on your first post, yea it never gets hotter than half with the air con off, even on that stupidly hot 47deg day here last year, but the aircon seems to just push it over the edge n make the engine over heat on 40+ days, n as for it being forced of, every time my temp gauge has hit 3/4 the electronics in the car seem to force the a/c off, even if i press the climate controls a/c button it wont turn back on till the car reaches half temp again, then all will work again and cool air will flow, maby its some form of fail safe protection nissan made for it,

as far as i know yes, if the abient temp is hotter, then the a/c does work harder and also produce more heat in the condenser at the front of the car, which i understand, with the intercooler heating the air, then then condenser heating the air even more, then it finaly hits the radiator to try cool the motor, maby its all just too much for the r33 on hot days?

Same problem here. i did all that plus made my electric fan direct, it also broke. the car still overheats. all i can think of is a vented hood now.

u cant run ac in summer i guess same like me. must be a problem with s2 or rb25det or sensors which i ordered from uk. i hope japan is a cold country and they didnt think about all this while make the engine.

iv still got the stock clutch fan n shroud, it works so iv never touched it lol, as far as i know it never gets much above 35 over in japan, and they have a more humid heat compared to our hot dry heat,

thats all i can think of thou, just that they didnt anticipate hot aus temps

Dont forget you are running a very big FMIC as well. By the time the air gets to your radiator its already been through one lot of hot metal and if your FMIC is on a tilted down angle it can also help stop airflow to your radiator.

My vote is for the FMIC, hopefully combined with a professinal radiatro flush it might bring it all back down to good temps.

Edited by Trackwork

i'd be getting your radiator professionally cleaned. i'm guessing that when you said that you flushed the radiator you just jammed a hose it it, or used some of that radiator flush that you buy for a few dollars at auto stores? either way, both of those methods are about as useful at actually cleaning out the radiator as trying to degrease an engine with a spray bottle filled with only water.

very good points guys, mad082 yes your right lol hose down the inlett n outlett haha, with the way it behaves, that bit of extra temp from the air con just seems to tick it over the edge on hot days, so thats why i assumed it would be a radiator problem more than anything, i will look into getting the radiator profesionaly cleaned or buying a new one, are the 250 - 300ish dual core alloy radiators that pop up on ebay any good?

also the idiot original owner in japan only ran water in it, cause about 4 years ago now when i got it a welsh plug rusted out, and again bout 3 years ago now another 2 went, so i replaced all of them,

so it is very possible that the radiator has alot of build up that i dont know about, and or even the engine too?

if it only overheats when your A/C is on, there's a possibility your A/C condensor core or the A/C core or the TX valves are clogged, so when the A/C is on, there's a shet load of pressure on the hot side of the system which equates to MORE heat.

The A/C condensor being in the front of the car, will get all the hot air pushed into the radiator and hence heating up your radiator system.

Best way is to take your car to a mechanic and hook up the cold & hot pressure gauges to it and measure it, there should be only up to 50PSI MAX difference between hot and cold. Your mechanic will know.

Sometimes this occurs because there is a lack of oil in the A/C compressor too, it could be because the numpty who refilled your A/C was lazy. All A/C systems get de-gassed before arriving to Australia.

there is also the possibility that the radiator is only just coping with the aircon off, but then the extra load of the aircon plus the extra heat from a normally functioning condenser is just enough to put it over the edge.

the main reason i say this is that for the temp gauge to be going up above the normal spot it has to be extremely hot, petty much at the danger level. so it would have to be hot to start with because normally from normal running temp to getting it to go to hot is 15 or 20 degrees, which is a hell of a lot of extra heat to be caused by the aircon condenser. so i'm guessing the cooling system isn't coping to start with.

if it only overheats when your A/C is on, there's a possibility your A/C condensor core or the A/C core or the TX valves are clogged, so when the A/C is on, there's a shet load of pressure on the hot side of the system which equates to MORE heat.

The A/C condensor being in the front of the car, will get all the hot air pushed into the radiator and hence heating up your radiator system.

Best way is to take your car to a mechanic and hook up the cold & hot pressure gauges to it and measure it, there should be only up to 50PSI MAX difference between hot and cold. Your mechanic will know.

Sometimes this occurs because there is a lack of oil in the A/C compressor too, it could be because the numpty who refilled your A/C was lazy. All A/C systems get de-gassed before arriving to Australia.

there ya go i didnt know the imports all got de gased before coming over, iv never had the air con system checked at all becuase its always blown icy cold air inside the cabin, even on 40+ days when the engine gets hot, the air con still works great untill yea i turn it off or the electronics force it off, but thats a good point and i probably will get that checked first, after all a check n re gas is only like 120 - 150, bit cheaper than a new radiator, plus iv had it for a good 4 years now so its almost time for a air con check up

there is also the possibility that the radiator is only just coping with the aircon off, but then the extra load of the aircon plus the extra heat from a normally functioning condenser is just enough to put it over the edge.

the main reason i say this is that for the temp gauge to be going up above the normal spot it has to be extremely hot, petty much at the danger level. so it would have to be hot to start with because normally from normal running temp to getting it to go to hot is 15 or 20 degrees, which is a hell of a lot of extra heat to be caused by the aircon condenser. so i'm guessing the cooling system isn't coping to start with.

as you just said, that was my original thought that the radiator was only just copeing, because any other day when the out side temp isnt roasting lol the r33 runs fine a/c on or not, 40+ plus air con just seems to be too mcuh for it.

its never made it to the hot line, id never let that happen, roughly 3/4 on the gauge is the highest its ever got, but even still as you said, thats an extra 10 - 15 degrese just there thats only there with the air con on.

i think ill have the radiator professionaly cleaned first, see how it goes on the next really hot day, if that fails, ill get the a/c system checked :)