ISL33P

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the compliments.

Pulse setting varies depending on what part of the plenum I am welding, as does the wave balance as some parts need more or less pentration than others. I'd say just turn it on and try at a level which you are comfortable at travelling. Certainly helps with consistency.

NYTSKY - I was only speaking to Shaun the other day, he does some seriously good work. Certainly one of the best around and miles ahead of me in weld quality. His manifolds for the Gen 3's have been compared to some of the top names in the states, certainly a very good compliment.

:( thanks. I cant wait to have everything else finished on them.

I have a few other ideas for when you come down next aswell

Edited by ISL33P

Not sure on the silicon content of 5356. I use 5356 due to its larger resitance to cracking with its high magnesium content and suitablilty to 5xxx series sheet I use..silicon is usually only referred to when discussing 4043 rod.

you are correct of course :( i just hadnt worked with 5 series alloys yet.

i decided to investigate - here a good little guide i found that might be useful to others

http://www.plantengineering.com/article/18...inum_alloys.php

interesting fact about the 150F extending heating they mention in regards to the 5356

That's a good find which keeps it nice and simple.

Considering 150F or 65C is not often reached for the extended periods of time these guys would consider "extended", using this filler is not to be seen as a concern for anyone looking at fabricating anything for their projects using 5xxx material.

Just to add some comfort, I have never had a plenum crack due to fatigue, I do have plenty of plenums out there on cars which have been doing the rounds for some 5 or 6 years still going strong. Correct design and welding process will ensure fatigue will not happen when using these materials/filler rods in combination.

Happy welding :D

• 3 months later...

It has been a while since I updated this thread, so here goes.

Another busy weekend...finsihing those ones from the last weekend and then completing two "Street" version CA18's. One for making it's way to Sweden and the other into a previously Zoom featured 1200 ute....oooh how I miss my old 1200 ute.

I think this weekend has definatley been my best welding weekend ever!! I have gone through a complete large size gas bottle in 5 or 6 days of work.....at nearly $300 a pop, the guage definately moves too fast.

Cheers,

Ariel

post-16214-1275824070_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824100_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824120_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824136_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824155_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824173_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824197_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824216_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824238_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824281_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824306_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824334_thumb.jpg

post-16214-1275824377_thumb.jpg

Coming up CA18 and ITB SR16VE :domokun:

im working 2 be doing an ITB + rear wheel drive + turbo inlet manifold for a SR20V soon

ill be using BMW M3 throttle body's

plan on cutting of the flange and welding on the SR20V flange str8 onto it then put a plenum camber on the other end of it

I ended up using gti-R throttle bodies.....perfect port spacing no hassles what so ever....just had to drill a couple of holes on the itb's and make the bellmouths to suit. It was for an NA circuit car with limited engine space and runner design due to class regulations.

I actually just sent one off on Monday...they are $1400 + delivery. I would also need the standard runners to do the job.

As for a rating, I'm not really into quoting a max hp, even though they are all flow tested and in the case of the XR6 plenums it will be well in excess of 1000hp, it is more about the benefits they provide and what they do for an engine to perform as efficiently as possible.

Cheers,

Ariel

nice job...did you end up finsihing your engine with one of these heads?

yep

ive got my engine together and its fitted into the car along with the fabrication work

mines a big mix and match of parts

the cylinder head is taken from a X Trail SR20VET

cam shafts are taken from a P12 pimera

exhaust rocker arms are taken from a P11 SR20ve

DSC00072.jpg

DSC00071-1.jpg