SAU Community

R32 Brake Master Cylinder # Bm44 Or Bm50?

hey everyone

i need to know what number is stamped on the side of an r32 gtr master cylinder, can someone please pop out to their car and check. also if you could note if ur gtr is equipped with abs or not

from what ive read the bm44 is what is on gtst and is 15/16" bore size

and the bm50 is on the gtr and is 1" bore size

i would just like someone to comfirm as on ebay they have seen people selling 15/16" bm44 master cylinders as gtr items... when from what ive read its a gtst one lol i just dont wanna get ripped off

im asking this as i upgraded my r32 gts25 (non-abs) single pot brakes to r33 gtst brakes (which people have said are the same size as r32gtr as they use the same 296mm front rotor and 297mm rear rotor)and they seem to be a lot more bias to the front brakes as they lock the fronts up on hard braking

currently on the car is the bm44 15/16" master cylinder (non-abs) that was originally used with the standard single piston brakes

Edited by adoboy666

I'm not sure if this helps you much but I just upgraded my brakes from 1 pot all round to GTSt specs which are pretty much the same as GTR however the rotors are 2mm narrower. I'm using a BM44 and it feels fine but if you end up going the BM50 let us know how it turns out :D

BTW: how much would a BM50 set you back roughly?

Edited by -Jimmy-

hey everyone

i need to know what number is stamped on the side of an r32 gtr master cylinder, can someone please pop out to their car and check. also if you could note if ur gtr is equipped with abs or not

from what ive read the bm44 is what is on gtst and is 15/16" bore size

and the bm50 is on the gtr and is 1" bore size

i would just like someone to comfirm as on ebay they have seen people selling 15/16" bm44 master cylinders as gtr items... when from what ive read its a gtst one lol i just dont wanna get ripped off

im asking this as i upgraded my r32 gts25 (non-abs) single pot brakes to r33 gtst brakes (which people have said are the same size as r32gtr as they use the same 296mm front rotor and 297mm rear rotor)and they seem to be a lot more bias to the front brakes as they lock the fronts up on hard braking

currently on the car is the bm44 15/16" master cylinder (non-abs) that was originally used with the standard single piston brakes

A Sumitomo caliper equiped R32 GTR (Povvo pack) will have a 1 inch bore size on the master cylinder.

A Sumitomo equipped R32 GTR (N1) with no ABS with have a 15/16 inch master cylinder, ie smaller with no ABS.

A Brembo equipped R32 GT-R with ABS has a 17/16 inch master cylinder.

A Brembo equipped R32 GTR with no ABS has a 1 inch master cylinder.

There are two different brands of master cylinder which are seemingly randomly allocated.

I can't exactly remember the BM number on the things. I can check the one I have spare at home if you are stuggling.

yeh mine brakes fine just seems a lot more front bias

thanks for the info on the master cylinder sizes

from reading more in depth have found i will need a 1" bore master cylinder from a r32 gtr...

but my problem is r32 gtr master cylinders only come in abs...

i could go the r32 gtr n1 brembo 1" master cylinder which has no abs,but it is meant for the brembo calipers

the difference between the gtr(abs) master and the gtr n1(non-abs) master cylinders from abs and non-abs is abs have 2 outlets,one for front and one for rear brakes. and the non-abs master cylinder has 3 outlets (2 for front 1 for rear)

Does anyone know if i can just use an r32 gtr abs master cylinder and T-peice the front outlet so i can hook up the 2 front lines fine??

Edited by adoboy666

yeh mine brakes fine just seems a lot more front bias

thanks for the info on the master cylinder sizes

from reading more in depth have found i will need a 1" bore master cylinder from a r32 gtr...

but my problem is r32 gtr master cylinders arnt non-abs or...

i could go the r32 gtr n1 brembo 1" master cylinder which has no abs,but it is meant for the brembo calipers

the difference between the gtr master cylinders from abs and non-abs is abs have 2 outlets,one for front and one for rear. and the non-abs master cylinder has 3 outlets (2 for front 1 for rear)

Does anyone know if i can just use an r32 gtr abs master cylinder and T-peice the front outlet so i can hook up the front lines fine??

Well that is all that happens when the lines get through the ABS.

• 2 months later...

I recently had some braking issues and my master cylinder was faulty. I thought I had a full R32 GTST M-spec brake conversion on my S13 however it turned out I still had the BM33 brake master from a standard S13. I went to Master Cylinder Exchange Service Wynnum and took my friends BM50 ABS master and did an exchange for a reconditioned non ABS BM50. It cost $275 and these are superior to a genuine nissan replacement as they have the stainless steel sleeve inserted into the bore. The part is guaranteed for life and the seals for 12 months. They say that a reconditioned master will out live the life of the car. Here is some handy information.

BM50 Master (25.4mm diameter)

S15 Spec R

300zx Turbo (also uses BM57 - 26.9mm)

R32 GTST M-Spec

R32 GTR non Brembo

R33 GTST BM44 (23.8mm)

R32/33/34 Brembo model BM57

Source: http://nissans15.com/brakes.htm

Edited by liampire

• 2 weeks later...