SAU Community

Oil Leak Where Bottom Of Spark Plug Tube

Hi guys,

I recently changed my spak plugs and found 1 of the spark plug tubes had oil covered at the bottom of it. The old spark plug had oil on it as well.

The 6th cylinder seems to only have the leak which is the one closest to the firewall, passenger side bank.

I know this is a common problem, has anyone attempted to fix this? It is the rocker cover gasket that requires replacement ? Are there any other gaskets that surround each individual spark plug they may also be the cause or is it the rocker cover gasket only that exists. Your help is appreciated

Cheers

Not sure on that one but I was definately able to replace. I have the invoice at home somewhere. Apparently it was a bit of a tough job getting them out but eventually was done. Fixed the oil pooling problem in any case :)

Edited by Easy Tiger

aww, I just been told with the same issue when i took my car for 90000km service this morning, they telling me "the left side rocker cover is leaking and need to replace it"...

still waiting phone call for the price quote, not for if they gonna replace entire rocker cover or just the gasket...

Japav,

Do what I did....Just wipe it all clean and shove a towel to soak up the excess in the sparkplug well...then screw the new spark in....i did mine 3,000kms ago and no issues - plus, I got better fuel economy with the new sparks.

I honestly would have had the leak fixed, but since my old man said it was fine, then I wasn't as worried...

And, by the way, the leak is 'always' found on the cylinder closest to the driver...the rest are fine.

Japav,

Do what I did....Just wipe it all clean and shove a towel to soak up the excess in the sparkplug well...then screw the new spark in....i did mine 3,000kms ago and no issues - plus, I got better fuel economy with the new sparks.

I honestly would have had the leak fixed, but since my old man said it was fine, then I wasn't as worried...

And, by the way, the leak is 'always' found on the cylinder closest to the driver...the rest are fine.

I think you mean passenger side cylinder closest to the firewall, yes?

Japav,

I've heard cleaning the sparkplug well and then running some high temp silicone with your fingers along the side works to cover any minor cracks in the seals as well.

Can be any plug that fills up, just most likely the rear ones.

I found the quickest way to remove the oil is with a big syringe with some rubber hose on the end.

If you can get some silicone under the rubber with a small flat blade screwdriver it should seal pretty well but I would suggest removing the rocker cover to do the job.