SAU Community

Wrx Vs Evo?

evo all the way, + aren't wrx's meant to have alot of gearbox problems??? i've heard of heaps of people that have had to replace their gearbox....

yeh like who do you know?

this is what everyone says. even before i went to subaru this is all i ever heard.

but after owning a couple and being active on the rex forums for a long time, i rarely hear of people blowing their boxes EVER. i have heard of some of the earlier classics pre 00 doing their boxes. but these cars were used for hill climbs and motor sport. the old rexies have had 10 years of hard launching from various young males. this is to be expected.

extreme launching on startup time and time again will make any gearbox blow. whether it be ferrari, or evo or wrx.

go on the evo forums and find out how their 10 year old gearboxes are going after so many years of launching abuse. they all share the same fate.

like i said its user abuse over many many years and many many launches. not actually a design or manufacturing fault.

Like what was said it should be STI vs Evo in your decision, the WRX is more on par with the Galant VR-4 IMO. And go an Evo 5, 6 or 6.5 TME, all awesome cars and unlike the Impreza did not come from the Subaru school of ugly as f*ck cars.

yeh like who do you know?

this is what everyone says. even before i went to subaru this is all i ever heard.

but after owning a couple and being active on the rex forums for a long time, i rarely hear of people blowing their boxes EVER. i have heard of some of the earlier classics pre 00 doing their boxes. but these cars were used for hill climbs and motor sport. the old rexies have had 10 years of hard launching from various young males. this is to be expected.

extreme launching on startup time and time again will make any gearbox blow. whether it be ferrari, or evo or wrx.

go on the evo forums and find out how their 10 year old gearboxes are going after so many years of launching abuse. they all share the same fate.

like i said its user abuse over many many years and many many launches. not actually a design or manufacturing fault.

i know a guy on his 3rd gearbox, but his is was the mid to late 90's version (the original shape) and he flogs the arse out of it.

also saying that the evo is more reliable than the wrx, well you would expect it to be as it costs a fair bit more, however other than the guy i know who goes through gearboxes, and another guy who blew the turbo while sitting flat to the floor along the highway seeing how fast it's top speed was, i haven't really heard that many more issues about it.

i know a guy on his 3rd gearbox, but his is was the mid to late 90's version (the original shape) and he flogs the arse out of it.

also saying that the evo is more reliable than the wrx, well you would expect it to be as it costs a fair bit more, however other than the guy i know who goes through gearboxes, and another guy who blew the turbo while sitting flat to the floor along the highway seeing how fast it's top speed was, i haven't really heard that many more issues about it.

exactly

its a bullshiit myth that WRXs have weak/shiit gearboxes that break all the time. all user input. would happen to any car under the same abuse.

Edited by DrewII

What does your mate want to do with the car (mod wise)?

The wrx/sti is a nicer car for a daily but the evo is a lot more fun. In terms of mods; the 4g63 is a stronger engine than the ej20/25 (the 25 even less so).

As for the gearbox comments, the 5 speed is the one with the short fuse but that's only when you start running loads of power (200kw atw, remember stock they're about 130kw atw) and abuse the thing. Show it mechanical sympathy and it's okay. The 6 speed from the STI is the strong subie box. For the Evo's the 5 spd is the stronger box.

I own a wrx and have driven an 05 sti and evo 9 back to back. I preferred the Evo; the only reason I bought the wrx instead of the evo was because of cost (as I wanted it new).