SAU Community

R34 Gtt Vs R32 Gtst Smic

hey guys im in the process of purchasing an r33 turbo to replace my r32 stock turbo and was thinking of changing my smic for a r34 gtt one... just want your thoughts on if it would be a good investment in getting one of those. im not really here to chase alot of power though if it would help a fair bit in air ratio wise, is it good value for money in worth getting.

cheers guys,

The R34 SMIC intecooler is better but still junk, it heatsoaks badly and only delays the inevitable. FMIC are cheap nowadays and just jup have returb flow ones for next to nothing. I got 34 gtt ones laying around like dead flys.

I did make 198 rwkw, when my car had the standard R33 turbo and R34 SMIC. So it is definitely an improvement over the standard R32 or R33 intercooler.

The reason I stuck with a side mount initially, was because I didn't want the increased length of piping (and reduction in throttle response) when combined with the standard plenum.

In the end I had to go for a front mount, but changed the plenum at the same time to minimise the piping.

i still call bullshit on it being an improvement

any core could make 200rwkw

even a top mount core could make a single 200rwkw pass

but after that run, its heatsoaked and useless for anything further

thats where the difference between the core and its location that matters

once its heatsoaked, how quickly can it ditch all the heat thats stored in it

Paul,

Calling Bullshit is a bit strange? A larger core has to be somewhat of an improvement, as the core has more surface area.

This extra surface area will take more heat from the air before it gets heat soaked (as there's more alloy to heat up).

It's common knowledge that a front mount will be a much greater improvement, due to it's location and the extra core size. But if the larger size of the side-mount core didn't make a difference, why did Nissan progressively increase it's size over the years?

Ryno

• 1 month later...
i still call bullshit on it being an improvement

any core could make 200rwkw

even a top mount core could make a single 200rwkw pass

but after that run, its heatsoaked and useless for anything further

thats where the difference between the core and its location that matters

once its heatsoaked, how quickly can it ditch all the heat thats stored in it

I call bullshit on the bullshit call too... it is simple matter of physics and the R34 SMIC has more surface area, volume and weight (approx 50% more!!!).

Unless you're also calling bullshit to thousands of years of science that means: more flow, a bigger heat sink and better heat transfer capabilities. ;)

With some simple improvements to ducting and air flow (e.g. R34 air duct on the front, some foam rubber to seal it to the SMIC and more venting in the inner guard to let the hot air out) it is a big improvement over the stock R33 SMIC.

Yes a FMIC is better but a half decent one also costs $800+ and requires some effort to fit, not to mention the lack of stealth (if that's your thing).

If you have mild mods and are using the stock ECU/turbo the R34 SMIC upgrade at under $200 is a bargain!

I got instant power gains and much better response due to this mod, I also added an 8inch thermofan (400CFM) to aid cooling for good measure.

P.S. Getting heatsoaked on a dyno is indicative of nothing, unless you drive your car on one...

I call bullshit on the bullshit call too... it is simple matter of physics and the R34 SMIC has more surface area, volume and weight (approx 50% more!!!).

Unless you're also calling bullshit to thousands of years of science that means: more flow, a bigger heat sink and better heat transfer capabilities. :D

With some simple improvements to ducting and air flow (e.g. R34 air duct on the front, some foam rubber to seal it to the SMIC and more venting in the inner guard to let the hot air out) it is a big improvement over the stock R33 SMIC.

Yes a FMIC is better but a half decent one also costs $800+ and requires some effort to fit, not to mention the lack of stealth (if that's your thing).

If you have mild mods and are using the stock ECU/turbo the R34 SMIC upgrade at under $200 is a bargain!

I got instant power gains and much better response due to this mod, I also added an 8inch thermofan (400CFM) to aid cooling for good measure.

P.S. Getting heatsoaked on a dyno is indicative of nothing, unless you drive your car on one...

thier crap fullstop they are designed for 6psi and daily driving not 12-odd psi and any sort of decent spirited driving. A quick datalog of AIT quickly proves this. I can listr about 6 customers with ARC SMIC and r34 SMIC that are having issues on anything warmer than 25 degree days.... track days in anything over that requires stupid numbers removed from the timing map.. few are still on std turbos. Add a decent turbo and the issue comes to fuition twice as quick.

one rb20 skyline with gt2530 has an ait (pfc djetro on rb20) that takes timing out as the temp increases, it turned out after 3 laps of winton the total timing was reduced so much to stave off det that when i ran it on the dyno with those timing figures it only made 170rwkw..... std power, fitted a cheap 400 turnflow kit and it is sweet.

if someone is happy to pay $200 (like you reckon) for a r34 smic be my guest i have a few id be happy to part with.

• 1 month later...

I think its safe to conclude, like someone else said that if its $20 then it will be an improvement over the standard item? But if its $200 then your better off to add the extra $$ to get an FMIC?

even if it was free, why would you bother

its like upgrading your 1.8ghz celeron to a 1.82ghz celeron

sure its upgrade, but is it worth all the hassle and effort and time

• 2 weeks later...