SAU Community

Exedy Clutch - Replace Plate & Bearing Or Entire Unit?

Hi Guys,

I thought I try and save money here, please enlighten me :P

I'll try and keep this as simple as I can, my clutch is worn, mothers in Camries are flying past me, I can't even over take or drive up a steep hill :)

Facts:

- R33 Series II, GTS-t

- 250rwkWs

- Currently installed Exedy Sports Organic, Nissan BNR32, Push Type (Yes you n00bs, it fits) (NSK-7121SO)

- It's worn

- Been in the car since November, 2007

Aim:

- Replace ONLY with same Organic Drive Plate (ND05G, SO) and thrust bearing

- Rear main seal, and gearbox seal

- Machine flywheel

- Reuse pressure plate

What do you guys think? That way it will cost me only $460 in parts, or $360 if my seals are still good. I've gotten in contact with Jim Berry, but I can't afford his clutches, they're too expensive and not worth it for the power I am making.

Saying that here are my other options:

Exedy Sports Ceramic, Nissan BNR32 (NSK-7121SC)

Exedy Race Ceramic, Nissan BNR32 (NSK-7121RC)

I don't mind some shudder, but I want the clutch to last at least 30,000km

Thanks for all your help guys, I tried to search but I couldn't find the answers.

And no, don't just replace the clutch disc without doing the cover. It's half a job and you'll end up having to do it again in 6 months time or less. I couldn't count the number of people on both hands and feet who thought they could achieve a decent result by doing that and ended up coming back to use to get the job done again.

I'm guessing that's because the clamp won't be as even as a new cover due to usage and heat stress, guess I'm going for a new clutch kit.

Anyone have good experience (longivity) with Sports Ceramic clutches? I want something that would last 30,000km normal street usage and clutch bashing on the track.

My Exedy Sports Organic Button probably last 20,000km shy of my 30,000km goal but I guess that's acceptable for performance cars.

I'm tossing up between the same clutch again, or a Sports Ceramic or Race Ceramic, but scared of the short life span

i have some sort of exedy heavy duty. Only cost me $500 (full kit). Holds 320kws. Will tell you in 20 years time if it will last 30,000kms - coz my car probably does 1-2k per year.

I might just get the same clutch I am using at the moment, which is a range up from the Exedy HD (Pink) clutch range.

Kudos have them for $660 which is fab and my mate at Repco can get them for $630 which is great too.

The GTS-t version of that is HEAPS cheaper though, but the clamp is much less than the R32 GT-R Push one.

how much clamp?

i got a Jim berry clutch made up. 2300lbs. full face organic. about $500 delivered. it's obviously his lower spec'd clutch, and currently it's only dealing with 220-ish kw for now.

but when compared to the silver hd exedy, for the price, + higher clamp rating, it was the obvious choice.

I'll find out how it holds up to more power in the near future. but for now it's great.

• 2 months later...