SAU Community

Clutch Replacement

Hi guys.

I'm wanting to replace the clutch in my V as it's beginning to slip and i'd hate for the unthinkable to happen and leave me stranded. Looking to replace with Exedy factory option as i'm not needing anything too heavy duty, naturally looking to source the item as cheaply as possible.

Does anybody know the difference between the Exedy NSK-7422DMF (Australian Market) and Exedy NSK1000FW (US Market)? I'm guessing only the part number given the Nissan and Infiniti coupes are the same car.

7422DMF comes with a Dual Mass Flywheel (which is what these cars have from factory), 1000FW comes with a Single Mass Fly.

Great, thanks mate.

After doing a bit of research and having a lengthy chat with my mechanic, I've decided to do the single mass flywheel conversion using Exedy NSK-7454SMF. Are any vendors able to supply this? I've tried the search function but it doesn't seem to be working this morning :closedeyes:

Edited by TUFF_350

let us know how you go with it. when I did my clutch replacement I went with a new DMF as I was scared off by the SMF guys complaining about low RPM gearbox chatter and I didn't want that in my daily..

I ordered my DMF and Exedy clutch kit from USA, ended up just under $1k. Not sure who stocks these locally, but they will be the same as the 350Z..

Can you remember what site you ordered it from mate?

It's going to cost just under $1,100 locally to do the SMF conversion, but if i can stick with DMF for the same price...why not!

from here -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-LUK-DMF-03-06-NISSAN-350Z-03-07-INFINITI-G35-3-5L-V6-VQ35DE-/251932446372

But the exchange rate is going to kill you. I bought mine over a year ago when it was still around A$1.10 to US$1.00

And because the figure will now be over A$1, import duty will kick in!

Edited by sonicii

Well i bit the bullet and just bought this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-SINGLE-MASS-FLYWHEEL-CONVERSION-NISSAN-SKYLINE-350GT-V35-02-07-/161691050017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item25a589a021

Awesome price, getting it installed locally next Friday. Once it settles in i'll let everyone know how it goes as far as gearbox chatter etc under 1,500rpm.

Fully installed and wow what a difference, the car feels brand new and drive-ability is second to none!

Slight chatter below 1,500 rpm is definite, but it's certainly not annoying or off putting in anyway :no:

Also if anyone is interested:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Skyline-2005/SSE-AD-2619110/?Cr=1

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine replaced dec 2014 by C-red. They installed the SMF option and the chatter is quite noticeable. With the reduction in rotating mass I have noticed little improvement on acceleration. In-fact the car feels quite the opposite, almost like there is drag in the driveline.

If you ride the clutch in a certain position the car shudders. I'm sure my off-the-line acceleration was better with the stock clutch (prior to wear).

I had mine replaced dec 2014 by C-red. They installed the SMF option and the chatter is quite noticeable. With the reduction in rotating mass I have noticed little improvement on acceleration. In-fact the car feels quite the opposite, almost like there is drag in the driveline.

If you ride the clutch in a certain position the car shudders. I'm sure my off-the-line acceleration was better with the stock clutch (prior to wear).

Im surprised to hear that from your first hand experience. Keen on replacing my dmf to a smf, or more importantantly a lightened flywheel, as there has to be a better result.

Everyother car that I have replaced the clutch on, I have gone a lightened flywheel with great results.

mosoto did your kit come with a lightened flywheel?

Yes, iirc they only had the SMF with lightened flywheel option available from their supplier. I must add that the exhaust note has changed which may be coincidence, It's deeper and louder which is a good thing :)

• 7 years later...

After 186k, slipping clutch( occasional sticking pedal from 160k) I finally changed my clutch to ACS Extreme HD Single Mass. Only driven today but, can say:-

1. no noise diff or chatter at idle (if anything prob less chatter)

2. Occasional light clutter noise on first release. Not always

3.Occasionally light low speed lash, noise, through drivetrain whilst upshifting in corners.(again not always maybe different revs gear change)

4. Slightly quicker (maybe .05/s more responsive upshifts). Generally crisper feel.

5. In gear acceleration from lower revs a bit better.

6. Slightly different noise through the transmission during gear changes both up / down. Not more or less just different.

7. you can service this flywheel/ replace clutch plate - You cannot do this on Dual mass OEM flywheel -such a shame for $2.5k unit. Good HD Single mass is still over 2.1k fitted but many suppliers are quoting the same for both HD’s. Some more for dual.

I only went this way as I think it would improve response on an old engine with a slightly lighter flywheel & so far it feels that way. My car still has a great deal of torque with the exhaust and chip on the timing & having a solid flywheel feels right for it.

Its obviously too early to get a full judgement. So hopefully I’m not spewing in a years time.But the Heavy duty flywheel SM is not too much lighter than the dual and my understanding is the new clutch plate on the SM has more spring & material for dampening to compensate for the lighter solid mass.          (not fully obviously).

Hopefully this helps. Will keep you posted if things change.

cheers 

Elie

Nice, good to hear it went well. my DMF has also been fine for the last 8 years.  From what i have heard the heavier SMFs experience less of the chatter issues.

Just one point.  The claim that a DMF can't be resurfaced is a myth, you just need a workshop with the right tools to lock the 2 sections of the DMF together to allow it to be machined.

Hi sonicii, yes thats what I thought and even my brother who’s a fitter just said today anything can be machined.so I’ll edit my pt7. 
I’m still familiarising myself with it and must confess its a little odd getting the tiny “knock” sounds randomly, mostly cornering. 

UPDATE: The little knocking was the Engine Mounts!. Got No idea why one engine mount was nearly all the way loose! & other half way!!.  Mechanic said he “did not touch them”. Bit of lock tight & tension & bobs your uncle!.

The car now drives with no noises what so ever & smooth as .( other than slight CV/suspension creek that was there before). Very little to no chatter -same or less than original clutch -but as I said above its very early. This clutch holds speed (coasts) well under 60 and the original DM better above 80. You have to adjust driving with lighter throttle on SM & holding it longer on highway speeds.

Mine was done at Oyaji Motorsports & I would  NOT recommend them to anyone ATM. Maurice is in Japan & only have fabricator doing ALL mechanic work, the very little time they are open. I did not know any of this when Maurice quoted!. me. If he’d told me any of this No Way would I have gone there.
They f/d up bleeding the system taking a whole day & half!!. When I told them where the problem must be & was! The bolt below the master was not done up properly! (On them). Then they brushed me twice - saying you need to get familiar with new clutch for weeks /month . Luckily only the second week in I told them something is seriously going wrong & literally had to get the installer in the car again after 10min on the hoist all became obvious!!!..

• Like 1