SAU Community

Why Is My Skyline So Slow

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say a good driver getting off the line well would be a mid 16. They only have 90 odd kw@wheels, a lot of weight and a small displacement engine with bugger all torque throughout the rev range. Can't expect much unfortunately.

alright i get what everyone is saying so what should a gts4 do 0-100 and qtr mile ?

anywhere from about 15 to 25 seconds for the 1/4. it really depends on so many things. driver, mods, setup, tyres, how tired the engine is, any mechanical issues, etc. but to narrow it down a bit, i'd say round the 16 to 17 second bracket. but if you have crappy cheap tyres and coilovers you can expect it to be 17 to 18 seconds. coilovers are the worst mod to do if you want fast times. all they do is promote wheelspin from lack of weight transfer, even with the awd setup

I still think that's BS and as if you would surrender your dignity to driving a Fagna. TBQH VN v6 is the go

+1 you can get a VN-VS 5 Litre for less than 5k which you can have fun in and will cream a Magna. God how I hate magnas as far as im concerned they are the worst cars ever made, they are ugly and just generally useless, so many brokedown at the side of the road.

n/a 33 with 123 rwkw can do 14.5.. duno whats up with your car.

also i think i need some evidence to help give the n/a skylines some self respect back:

could be:

1. P platers that dont know how to drive.

2. P platers that root there car and dont service / take care of it.

And yes im a p plater not dissing them at all.

+1 you can get a VN-VS 5 Litre for less than 5k which you can have fun in and will cream a Magna. God how I hate magnas as far as im concerned they are the worst cars ever made, they are ugly and just generally useless, so many brokedown at the side of the road.

Umm the point of them talking about a V6 is because its the largest engine you can drive on your P's. Obviously a V8 commodore will beat a magna, that aint the point.

n/a 33 with 123 rwkw can do 14.5.. duno whats up with your car.

also i think i need some evidence to help give the n/a skylines some self respect back:

could be:

1. P platers that dont know how to drive.

2. P platers that root there car and dont service / take care of it.

And yes im a p plater not dissing them at all.

Comment from that youtube link you posted

"how the f*k did u pull that time man seriously i pulled a 16.8 with my gts4 consistant id love to pull 14's any one know of any mods i can do to get it to run lower times."

Edited by PM-R33

Umm the point of them talking about a V6 is because its the largest engine you can drive on your P's. Obviously a V8 commodore will beat a magna, that aint the point.

fyi the OP never said anything about being on their P's, anyway if we're just talking non V8's, its all about how much money your willing to pay to go fast legally. The N/A supra is the king of the fast N/A 6's if your not too worried about the $$$, although if its about doing it cheaply a cammed and chipped Buick or Ecotec commodore will still cream a Magna.

As far as you guys beating commodore's and falcons in your NA's its all about maintanence and how many K's the cars have under their belt. I've got a 92 VP Commodore thats done a third of a million K's and has about 90kw atw (stock) and its lead a rough life till I bought it, VN-VP in good nick should tear up a GTS4 as long as its been well maintained.

i just assume that 90 percent of n/a skyline drivers would be on there Ps as you can buy a gts25t for the same price :P or in some cases cheaper for a better car haha.

i find mates with auto n/a skylines are never as quick as manuals a fair bit of difference.. coincidence? or something more haha

you can see my dyno sheet in the n/a power thread.. 123 atw and all ive got is a catback / pod on.. nice and smooth power curve.. saying that my old n/a 4 door automatic skyline with a rb25 was only pulling around 90 atw and that was just a hunk of crap power was all over the place..

i would love to line up against a stock gtst and see the difference as from what i can read they pull around 135-140 stock, obviously more torque though :( but little bit of lag

cant wait to get off my Ps in a few months, reward for me will be a GTR for waiting and obeying the law :(

3.5L magna? fords 4.0L or holdens 3.8L would smoke the magna, personal experience to back it up sadly haha :P

was it towing a boat or what?

so much magna hate. would one of you fagna lovers eat my fecal matter as punishment if u were pwnd thru some twisties by your mums magna?

coz u kno i got a hot steamy one brewing.

how many of you magna haters have actually driven a manual 3.5L magna? i've owned 2 of them, a falcon and a commodore. the magnas were faster than both the falcon and the commodore. and the night i took it to the drags there were vn 5.0L commodores unable to get into the 14's yet i was able to do it with just a catback exhaust. the auto's are a different story due to rediculously tall gear ratios. they will do 150kmh in second.

as for handling, they aren't that bad. not that great but not that bad. no worse than a falcon or commodore. just a different feel that the falcon or commodore.

Back on topic, I have an R33 GTS4, used to be N/A and it would happily do a 0-100 in <8seconds without a hard launch. They weigh around 1440kg, about 100kg lighter than a VT, but the difference is VT's have a lot more power in the lower rev range, due to their higher capacity, whereas an RB25DE only really has good power between 4500-6500rpm. HOWEVER, this is countered by the ridiculously short gearing of the GTS4, 50kmph in first and 85kmph in second, made it quite snappy when N/A.

My car had a 2.5" exhaust, enclosed pod filter, "highflow" cat, and about 25 degree's ignition timing at idle, it had 110kW at all fours, which is nothing special, but its not bad, its about what an Ecotec gets with the same mods (exhaust and intake) - that's the engine in the VT BTW.

So to fix the OP's problem, i would firt say, exhaust, is it stock? If so, change it, its old and knackered, and some more flow will benefit the choking N/A. Secondly, the Cat, its most likely blocked, i would either decat it, gut it or replace it with a high flow. and finally, ignition timing - wind it up, if its an older import, it may have been wound back to run on 91 octane, it could have been put at the wrong spot after a timing belt change, anything. I would say 20degree's minimum, and keep winding it up until it either stops making power or pings, i wouldn't recommend more than 30.

I'm assuming your on your P's, since otherwise you wouldn't want an N/A, so just conceal your mods, make them tidy and quiet!

I bought my GTS4 because i wanted a 4 Door AWD car, and couldn't find a 4 door R33 GTR (they do exist, but pricey and rare) It now has a FMIC, 8psi on an R34 turbo, 15degree's ignition timing, GTR gearbox (for the taller gearing), billet lightweight GTR flywheel and HD clutch, and is incredibly responsive, plenty of power for a daily, the motors cope with boost well, its comparable to another car i have in my driveway (same 1/4 mile, but slower to 100), R33 GTST coupe, FMIC, 3", SAFC & 12psi. but the GTS4+T is a lot more responsive and zippy (and therefore fun), due to having traction for hard launches (and hard power hit), and the much shorter gearing.

Edited by SKiT_R31