SAU Community

Why Is My Skyline So Slow

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is the car auto or manual (did they even come in auto?)? and how were you launching, etc? depending on that the answers are to these questions will determine whether it is you or the car. but they aren't the fastest car in the world. also they aren't new cars anymore, so if the engine is a bit tired then that can affect performance as well.

and to put it into perspective as to what could cause the problems could be, here is a quick list of mechanical things that just popped into my head that could cause the loss of performance

tired engine

partially blocked cat

slightly sticky brakes

damaged wheel bearing

slipping clutch

poor quality fuel (and ECU is retarding timing due to pinging)

dodgy afm

dodgy coils or spark plugs

you get the picture.

also it could just be that the G-tech isn't accurate or your speedo is out (although speedo's generally read over and not under so would give you a faster time not a slower one)

and to put it into perspective as to what could cause the problems could be, here is a quick list of mechanical things that just popped into my head that could cause the loss of performance

tired engine

partially blocked cat

slightly sticky brakes

damaged wheel bearing

slipping clutch

poor quality fuel (and ECU is retarding timing due to pinging)

dodgy afm

dodgy coils or spark plugs

you get the picture.

also it could just be that the G-tech isn't accurate or your speedo is out (although speedo's generally read over and not under so would give you a faster time not a slower one)

yeah mate its manual i was trying all differnt launchs 2 2.5 3000 revs and i just got roady nd didnt pick up any problems there but he did say it was slow, i think there is a problem with the exhaust my mate said he thinks there is no backpressure ? its not a turbo, what 0-100 should it be doing ?

4wd. So extra weight with no extra power. That will hurt times immediately.

You should be able to launch from 5-6k + rpm to get off the mark quicker.

I would get the car Dyno'd just to get a power reading so you know roughly what you dealing with. If it reads low then you can start searching for the problem. If it reads about what it should be then that is just what your car will do without mods.

I think there is a problem with the exhaust my mate said he thinks there is no backpressure ?

Whats your mates knowledge of the subject? Fairly detailed? or just a bloke that sat in the passenger seat for 5 minutes?

Edited by l_uk3y

check ya catalytic converter. could be blocked my mates 33 did that.. ran like sheet got a hi-flow cat in there and ran beautiful!

also check ur tyres for correct inflations and all of the above that mad082 listed....

4wd. So extra weight with no extra power. That will hurt times immediately.

You should be able to launch from 5-6k + rpm to get off the mark quicker.

I would get the car Dyno'd just to get a power reading so you know roughly what you dealing with. If it reads low then you can start searching for the problem. If it reads about what it should be then that is just what your car will do without mods.

awk mate thanks for that do you know roughly how much it is to dyno ?,and wouldnt if i start from that much get to much wheel spin ?

check ya catalytic converter. could be blocked my mates 33 did that.. ran like sheet got a hi-flow cat in there and ran beautiful!

also check ur tyres for correct inflations and all of the above that mad082 listed....

awk thanks i will how much are hi flow cats worth ? im on 18s so i think im running it on the right pressure

well unlikely unless it's had a conversion, and that's what you get with non turbo Skylines LOL. That is slow though. I honestly think that my gf's Datsun 1200 would give you a run for your money.

my mongoose would give that a run for its money.

the problem is your missing a turbo :cool:

awk mate thanks for that do you know roughly how much it is to dyno ?,and wouldnt if i start from that much get to much wheel spin ?

Being 4wd you shouldn't have to worry bout wheel spin at your power level.

think there is a problem with the exhaust my mate said he thinks there is no backpressure ?

Your mate doesnt have a clue if that what he rekons...... :cool:

r33 gts4 that does skids? errmm somthing not right there...you sure its a gts4?

They pretty much all have 4 wheel steer until you remove it for better handling reasons.

Hmm. Maybe someone with a gts-4 can comment more on the loss of traction. I'm under the impression it should have the same system as the gtr being mostly RWD with a loss of traction putting drive into the front wheels to stop the wheel spin.

Whether it isn't working properly/disconnected or so forth. I don't know.

im not sure but where im from we have a guy called Rob Bliss he has been in the industry for 15 yrs now and he's well known in brisbane for his work on skylines etc.. i think he has hi flow cats for around the 300 mark...

I don't understand why no one has said the obvious. As if you can say the G-tech is giving perfect readings. Say it was 1.0-1.5 seconds out (very likely), 0-400m in 17-16.5 seconds.

For the worst power/weight ratio Skyline made my nissan (comparing R32/R33/R34) and add to the fact it is old and worn and you probably are having difficulty getting it off the line being AWD with no power, i don't see why so many people are questioning the times...

Edited by PM-R33

I don't understand why no one has said the obvious. As if you can say the G-tech is giving perfect readings. Say it was 1.0-1.5 seconds out (very likely), 0-400m in 17-16.5 seconds.

For the worst power/weight ratio Skyline made my nissan (comparing R32/R33/R34) and add to the fact it is old and worn and you probably are having difficulty getting it off the line being AWD with no power, i don't see why so many people are questioning the times...

yeah but its fair accurate, i just got one of the new ones the rr one and il try that out when it arrives, my mate tested his vt commodore commodore and it ran 9 seconds with gas tank in boot, i would have thort the skyline would have atleast got quicker than that

i agree with that...g-techs are shite.

10 secs is probably good for a gts4.

the skyline will weigh more than the commodore and would have less grunt...why are you suprised that it is slower?

oh btw stop being a dick on public roads