SAU Community

Oil Catch Can Diy Installation

TR33GT-001

what did you do with the PCV valve?

Hey Basti,

The PCV is left in place as normal install.

The things that are redirected are the rocker cover intake and exhaust outlets, which run to the catch can first, while the outlet to the PCV is still piped, but this time through the catch can.

Let me know if you think there is something screwy with the install.

Hope all is well.

Jim

Hey WYTSKY,

In reply, I've attached the email sent to me by Cam from TopSecret.

I actually have noticed the difference, for the good.

Good luck with your install too.

Give me a yell if you need any help too.

"Hi Jim, sorry for the delay in getting back to you with this.

In order for your car to stay legal it is vital that the car’s standard positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system works as the factory intended. Therefore, when fitting an oil/air separator (commonly referred to as a catch-can) you’ll have to plumb the can in between the ports on the cam covers and the factory PCV valve, to act as a cleansing device of sorts if you will. This way everything is still sealed to keep the authorities happy, the PCV setup still works as intended and the catch-can can be put to use to remove excessive oil from the blow-by gases and minimise oily fumes being ingested by the engine from the PCV/intake system.

In the instruction document you sent us, the first three options will work okay for your application and it’s just a matter of which plumbing configuration you want to use in terms of connecting the cam cover outlets to the catch-can. Option #1 is the easiest while option #3 is the most complicated but will vent slightly better. I wouldn’t recommend option #4 as it blocks the PCV entirely. When you start making lots of power – or the engine is tired and in need of a rebuild for that matter – the plumbing of crankcase gases needs more attention (i.e. minimising plumbing runs, sizes of lines, volume of catch-can etc.) but for a road car the setup you have will work well – no more octane-reducing fumes for your RB25-DET!"

Hey Basti,

The PCV is left in place as normal install.

The things that are redirected are the rocker cover intake and exhaust outlets, which run to the catch can first, while the outlet to the PCV is still piped, but this time through the catch can.

Let me know if you think there is something screwy with the install.

Hope all is well.

Jim

no just asking cos its hard to see on the pics you've provided. is it just teed off the outlet line? nothing wrong with the set up - i've been meaning to figure out a legal setup like this but you've done the work for me :rofl:

Hey sweet write up, have done similar on my old tx3, looks good will be attempting this on my r33 next..

Good luck toorock. Gimme a yell if you can't source a part. I'll help if I can.

I just bought a catch can my self, i got a calibre one from super cheap as it has 3 inlet/outlet so every hose has its own inlet/outlet.

Any reason why you went to all the trouble and expense of buying extra fittings, why not just get the same as the ones from auto pro but in a bigger size to match, only fitting im looking at changing (aside from two on the catch can) is the one off the passenger rocker cover, will be changing it for a plain 90 degreee one the same as what is on the drivers side.

Another thing i will be doing is removing or blocking the line from the drivers side rocker cover to the inlet, will either be putting a bung in both holes or filling the line with sillicone, once it has 2 seperate lines going to the catch can and a bigger line from the catch can to the intake there will be no need for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice setup....Have a few questions for the setup I would like to have. I noticed that the D1 Spec catch can doesnt have a breather on it. 1...After reading through a few forums I wanted to ask about the catch can vs breather vs catch can breather argument...which is better (mind you im not building a race car, just have a few modifications such as exhaust, intercooler, bov, ^in boost etc..still stock turb's though). 2....With brand name catch cans such as greddy or cusco has anyone fitted a breather filter to one of these or would i be better off chasing up a custom built catch can with breather. 3....Finally any difference on fittings for a greddy or cusco catch cans in relevance to the ones used for the D1 setup (mainly the fittings on the catch can itself as the rest of the fittings etc in the instructions would be fine to use.

Thanks

Brendan

rabs_33gtst the D1 catch has a inlet and outlet

u connect the outlet to the metal pipe next to the exhaust cam cover. this allows your air intake to act like a breather also plumbing it up like this keeps the car legal :P

if u use a small air filter and vent to atmo u will not pass pits, simple. the way TR33GT-001 did it is what u should be aiming 4 or u could get a catch can with 3 ports this will allow u to connect it all up with out the need 4 T piece

and TR33GT-001 :thanks: again awesome job keep up the good work :)

• 9 months later...

Hi Clutch,

The hoses need to be installed as per the diagram / plan.

It is the only way that it will remain legal.

The intension is to route the blow by piping into the catch can first, with the other connection to the catch can, connected to the PCV connection.

Look at the diagram coloured in red.

The install is still going strong.

No problems at all, it's doing it's job.

Hope this helped.

Email me if you can't find the diagram.

Jim (TR33GT)

what did you do with the pcv valve to the manifold (on the left hand side)? left it in place? because a catch can is pretty much pointless if this isnt blocked, is that right?

Hi Clutch,

The hoses need to be installed as per the diagram / plan.

It is the only way that it will remain legal.

The intension is to route the blow by piping into the catch can first, with the other connection to the catch can, connected to the PCV connection.

Look at the diagram coloured in red.

The install is still going strong.

No problems at all, it's doing it's job.

Hope this helped.

Email me if you can't find the diagram.

Jim (TR33GT)

i think you miss understood where i was talking about.

the PCV valve on the LEFT hand side rocker cover, which has an "S" hose going to the intake manifold. this should be blocked otherwise most of the oil vapor will enter the intake via this hose bypassing the catch can.

correct?

Edited by Clutch

• 4 months later...

Short version: the PCV valve only vents into the manifold before you reach boost.

Long version: the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve, is a one-way valve, that will vent the crankcase fumes into the manifold as long as the pressure in the manifold is lower than the pressure in the crankcase. Once you start hitting boost, the pressure in the manifold increases, which changes the direction of the air flow in the S-bend hose, which shuts off the PCV valve, forcing any fumes in the crankcase to vent into the catch can, and return to the intake in front of the turbo.

Guys,

I don't quite know why there are posts here in relation to the PCV. As described earlier, the PCV has nothing to do with this installation.

Please READ the installation guide.