SAU Community

Money Changer

sloutch

Hi guys,

I am looking for a money changer to change some foreign currencies. I'm aware that a few of you travel a fair bit for business/work overseas.

Can anybody recommend me a money changer with decent rates? Or will i just be better off going to the bank directly? Prefer places not too far from the city please.

Thanks

as above if you doing it to travel do it at the destination, Aussie exchage places charge big fees compared to other countries.

If your determined to change here banks are the easiest option, slightly better rate is the places down swanston street plus you can see the rate and compare them, (i've seen upwards of 10% diffrence in 2-3 blocks) so just look for the best rate.

worst place you can do it is travelex at the airport, their rates are not good and charge high fees unless u changing big amounts)

hope that helps.

Martin

all depends on how much and which currency.

if it under au $50, prob not worth it.

but my rule is. if your planning on going back in next year or 2 keep it.

if u know ay-one heading there soonish, do them a exchange (use xe.com to find rate) then neither of u get's hit with fees.

if u think they are pretty..keep it

else offload it and prepared to be hurt.

i have 2-300$ in strange currency on my desk at work that is just not worch changing, (some of it you cannot change, eg Laos Kip).

M

if u know ay-one heading there soonish, do them a exchange (use xe.com to find rate) then neither of u get's hit with fees.

i have 2-300$ in strange currency on my desk at work that is just not worch changing, (some of it you cannot change, eg Laos Kip).

M

^ Agreed :rofl:

I've got money from a couple countries in my draw, around the $50-$80 AUD mark. Not worth changing it back.

M

Thanks for the suggestion M. It's actually worth a couple of thousand AUD :) . That's why i would rather have a currency exchange instead of keeping them. If it was worth about AUD$100, i'll definitely keep them.

Will try the Swanston St joint and see if they will give me decent rates.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm actually changing a foreign currency back into Australian dollars. Would it be wise to change them back or just keep them for now?

What currencies are you looking at exchanging? I maybe able to help if you have what I'm looking for. PM me with details.

To exchange or obtain foreign currency I just go to AMEX, there's one on Collins St inside the Westpac branch.. 360 Collins from memory, near Queen.

Some Westpac branches will also accept FX and exchange to AUD but they will not give it out, as they do not keep any at the branch. Both Westpac and AMEX charge $8 fees for each currency (last I was there anyway).

You can ring AMEX and get them to give you a rate over the phone for the exchange, you can also book ahead and they have online options so you can book Foreign Currency before you travel.

To exchange or obtain foreign currency I just go to AMEX, there's one on Collins St inside the Westpac branch.. 360 Collins from memory, near Queen.

Some Westpac branches will also accept FX and exchange to AUD but they will not give it out, as they do not keep any at the branch. Both Westpac and AMEX charge $8 fees for each currency (last I was there anyway).

You can ring AMEX and get them to give you a rate over the phone for the exchange, you can also book ahead and they have online options so you can book Foreign Currency before you travel.

Thanks Kaz! :P

Will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Was thinking of heading down to Swanston tomorrow to check out the exchange rates too.

I changed mine along the ones on Swanston St. The one closest to the McDonalds at Lonsdale St was the best rate I got after using them to compete each other.

^^Agreed.

I've done the same on my last 2 trips to Japan. No comission, and i manged to get some good rates.

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback people!

Managed to change my currency back into AUD this afternoon.

I have to agree, the shops along Swanston Street do have pretty competitive rates. I would recommend anyone who is looking for some currency exchange to shop around that stretch and you will be surprised at the rates they are willing to offer.

Thanks again.