SAU Community

Polycarbonate Windows

phunky_monkey

I thought there was minimum thicknesses (that is thicker than glass) you had to run under cams on safty grounds? I can't remember what it is though

Old sport sedan regs at least, 3mm side windows, 6mm windscreen - not entirely sane the last bit either, if you ever have plans to do a wet race! General requirement of 6mm transparent to separate the driver from the fuel cell or whatnot if it's a single volume car.

I think some of you blokes need your head read spending that amount of dough on that UK stuff knowing how often you need to change it, even the hard coat isn't a guarantee of long life.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of you blokes need your head read spending that amount of dough on that UK stuff knowing how often you need to change it, even the hard coat isn't a guarantee of long life.

Mine isn't going to sit out in the sun. It'd last a long time wouldn't it?

can't see why not. we have Lexan screens on our boat, they do have black mesh 'bra' screens but see a disgustingly hard life, and look good after a year (sits on a Marina, exposed to the elements 365)

and its not really huge money, I was up for a rear screen anyway, at 330 cost price for a aftermarket jobbie through Novus and 2k for the rear screen with no wiper hole. 800 delievered for sides, qtr's and a rear in hardcoat isnt half bad IMO

I was talking to the owner of a big glass factory here in tas when i put the lexan screens in the boat, he said the only downfall was resistance to UV, so if the car is stored out of the weather I'd expect decent life. time will tell i guess!

Mine isn't going to sit out in the sun. It'd last a long time wouldn't it?

UV wasn't the issue, if you've got any sliding they scratch from vibration contact with one another, inevitable fingernails, the good intentioned helper who wipes the morning dew off with a paper towel or rag, before you can yell at them!

Seems a bit steep that Pommy price anyhow (2k landed?), although the tint and edging inevitably push the price. Been a couple of years now last hatch in 4mm was around 400 locally (uncoated), some 3mm for a lathe last year and cut to size - enough to do 2 typical windows was well under 100 as well.

2k? Nah matey 1600 delivered to aus from the uk for a full 32r kit and a full 33 kit both in hardcoat. 800 for sides qtrs and a rear. Not tinted, but OEM edge round the qtrs. unsure if I will fit the qtrs yet see how they look first.

Yeah the 34 has one in, one out. In is on the drivers side. Gives option for attaching donkey dick tube to run air over driver on really hot days, or after curry.

Haha that's what I was thinking of doing. How is the donkey dick tube attached? cable ties?

I've got the Plastics4Performance 5mm side windows in hardened and 4mm elsewhere in R32 racecar. Have 6mm screen (min thickness CAMS allows to race) coming in next week (hopefully). Have got some windscreen tear-offs to protect from sandblasting/wiper damage. - even glass screens get badly damaged racing at Barbagallo. Other than weight saving the other big plus is safety. Have a look at their video of impact testing. What would punch straight through glass (and you!) just bounces off Lexan with hardly a scratch. The finish on the windows with the OEM blackout is fantastic and fitted perfectly - looks factory. The side windows still have electrics and haven't been scratched even slightly in a season of racing use (nice to be able to get some fresh air while in pit lane!) so the hard coating is well worth it at least on these windows.

The side windows do flex a bit so you'll need to open the door to wind up the last bit so they seal on the top rubber. Other than that they work fine when fully closed.

Edited by Nissanmania

Thanks Paul and mr woosta! :)

I saw that the hi octane 32 only had one on the passenger side window. I'm hoping to fit them in the quarter windows if they'll fit.

Picked up my kit today off Burgz, just drilled holes in passenger side screen for the mount studs stops and guide, great to work with. Great fit. Rear screen same deal nice fit. We got 5mm side and 4mm qtr and rear. The rear weighs 4460grams, sides about 2180 and qtr screens 730 grams. Oem side screen was about 4700 on the 33. So they lived up to their ' half the weight or less' can't complain for the money so far

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my kit today off Burgz, just drilled holes in passenger side screen for the mount studs stops and guide, great to work with. Great fit. Rear screen same deal nice fit. We got 5mm side and 4mm qtr and rear. The rear weighs 4460grams, sides about 2180 and qtr screens 730 grams. Oem side screen was about 4700 on the 33. So they lived up to their ' half the weight or less' can't complain for the money so far

overall, how much weight saved?

Well 5 kg's just on the doors, don't know about qtrs yet haven't removed old ones and rear screen I busted mine and ditched it months ago, but I 'think' I remember reading that a 33 oem rear screen weighs about 7kgs so all up you'd save between 8-10 kg's depending on what thickness lexan you get. We got 5mm sides 4mm qtrs and rear.