SAU Community

Best Tyres For Sprint And Time Trials

fubar

Heya all

I've done some laps at wannaroo short track on shitty old street tyres and got a pretty good time while slidding all over the place:) 60 secs flat

Would like to put some half decent tyres on my spare rims 17x8 and 9inch. Currently running 18x8 on my street rims but i've heard 17's are better for racing.

The car was set up for drifting but im kinda liking the track work. Its an r32 with a rb25 neo, 280rwhp, all suspension and handeling has been sorted just need to sort out some tyres.

There are so many different tyres out there and diff reviews but if someone that has tried diff tyres on this sorta car and horsepower pls send me in the right direction

Cheers

Dan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i have witnessed i reckon the best r-spec radial sprint tyre is the advan a050's atm. i've seen a few people run pb's recently on them

We ran them on the Evo 4 at Lake Mountain over the weekend.

An amazing tyre over the 9km stage and certainly a good option now that RE55s are stupidly expensive.

I personally think A050's are the quickest tyre out there at the moment, closely followed by the O3G's. Imo, the O3G's last a little better though. Need to keep in mind that compound/wear wise, a "soft" AO50 is really fairly equivalent the a "medium" O3G.

re55/dz03g/a050 would be my pick.

I won't run a050 for racing since it only comes in soft and medium but it would be ok for sprints.

out of re55 and dz03 I take the dz03 because they are better if it rains. about the same in the dry

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers heaps for the info guys i think i'll try the A050's and maybe give the cheap KU36's a thrash i've heard some good stuff about em and you can beat up on them:)

I'm currently on a set of KU36, they're pretty good, for what they are. I've found them about 2 seconds slower on a minute lap track. One quarter of the price though.

Really thats not too bad:) when they get too hot do they loose some grip or are they pretty consistent? Is there a tyre pressure you could recommend for my car, r32 with a bit extra weight in the front cause apperently the rb25neo is a bit heavier?

Federal 595 RSR's seem pretty good too, similar to the KU36 but a bit softer. Road legal for the non trailer queen mob.

and about 1.5 times the price. You can get R888s for that, not that they're much better.

I just bought a set of 215 & 240 x17" medium compound Kumho slicks for the price of RSRs. Admittedly the Kumhos were on special, but so are the Feds...

and about 1.5 times the price. You can get R888s for that, not that they're much better.

I just bought a set of 215 & 240 x17" medium compound Kumho slicks for the price of RSRs. Admittedly the Kumhos were on special, but so are the Feds...

Nah, I got quoted $176 each for Federal 595 RSR in 255/40 17.

where did you get the slicks from?

sounds like a damn good deal

Nah, I got quoted $176 each for Federal 595 RSR in 255/40 17.

that's extremely cheap compared to their normal prices. Its damn near the normal 595SS price. I'd go out and buy a set tomorrow at that price! was it from option1?

zebra, any Kumho motorsport distributor can hook you up. http://fsport.com.au/special_offers.html

that's extremely cheap compared to their normal prices. Its damn near the normal 595SS price. I'd go out and buy a set tomorrow at that price! was it from option1?

zebra, any Kumho motorsport distributor can hook you up. http://fsport.com.au/special_offers.html

Yeh Option 1 Harry, I may get a set. My RE55's are buggered and the tyres I've been trying to import have been held up due to a payment transfer messup.

Really thats not too bad:) when they get too hot do they loose some grip or are they pretty consistent? Is there a tyre pressure you could recommend for my car, r32 with a bit extra weight in the front cause apperently the rb25neo is a bit heavier?

I'd aim for 42 hot mate. So start at around 38 cold and bleed them back straight after your first run. Others may have some input on this, I am by no means the expert re this particualr tyre, and have only experimented a little.

I'd aim for 42 hot mate. So start at around 38 cold and bleed them back straight after your first run. Others may have some input on this, I am by no means the expert re this particualr tyre, and have only experimented a little.

I got my best times on the KU36 starting at 36psi cold. Didn't make note of the hot pressures. But the heavyweight Supra probably put a couple of extra pound in them through heat than your lighter R32.