SAU Community

Changed Spark Plugs Today

Was a good sunny day and I decided to change my Spark Plugs. Got the Iridium IX plug from EBAY at a bargain ($68). During changing the plugs, the Air filter system got to be taken out. Some wiring was unplug to reach the spark plugs.

1st finding: The OLD Plugs were very worn out, glad I change them.

2nd finding: The plug nearest to the passenger has some old on it when I pull it out. IS there a problem?

3rd finding: Car was much smoother after the change.

4th finding: The Engine check light came on after the plugs changed. I guess I unplug something I shouldn't have. But car was fine to drive. How do I reset the warning?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That rear plug seal is know to weep oil, common problem. If it didnt have much on it I wouldnt worry too much as the seal isnt replaceable, mine was leaking badly and was full to the top. I removed the rocker cover and smeared a little silicone around the plug tube and it sealed fine, although I dont like silicone on the inside of the engine as it gets sucked up and blocks the oil pickup, just dont use much.

The replacement covers are around $300 each from memory and they may leak straight away.

So what about the check engine light? Only NISSAN can reset it?

You can reset it your self. Do a search for check engine light in the Vseries and stagea sections.

Got the Iridium IX plug from EBAY at a bargain ($68).

1st finding: The OLD Plugs were very worn out, glad I change them.

Was that $US68 or did you find a local supplier?

Also you mentioned that your old plugs were very worn out. Any idea how many km's they did?

I am considering looking at mine but manual says that the OEM ones are good for 105k miles so have not bothered as my car is only just 57k km.

Was that $US68 or did you find a local supplier?

Also you mentioned that your old plugs were very worn out. Any idea how many km's they did?

I am considering looking at mine but manual says that the OEM ones are good for 105k miles so have not bothered as my car is only just 57k km.

It was from a US EBay seller (autodinamics) : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06-INFIN...sQ5fAccessories

Sorry, $68 is in Aussie $, not USD. Think you can get it even cheaper as Aussie $ is stronger now. You never know how much K's your import did as All the speedo reading are not correct. As advise from most of the guys here, once you get your car, it's better to do a full service on it. Change Oil/Filters, Change Gearbox/Diff oil, Plugs, I even Bleed the whole brake system. You never know how long the fluid is in the system. Like all brake oil, they absorb moisture. The Plugs I pull out was a NGK R plugs, the tip was badly worn till it's rounded. No wonder when my car idle, i can feel a cylinder didn't fire like the rest through my clutch.

Funny, today I notice, my engine check light is not there anymore. I don't know what I did, I didn't do anything at all. I even when to a midas service center yesterday to ask how much to reset it. I believe, the oil in the plugs seems to be a common problem with all our V's I heard.

Glad to hear your engine check light problem has been sorted.

Yes I too changed all oils and filters and pads rotors and fluid when I first got mine but didnt worry about plugs because of their extremely long service interval. The NGK R,s you took out sound like they were the OEM laser platinum ones. Hopefully the Iridium IX are just a bit better again ( if you can believe NGK's advertising hype).

I was hoping you would say that you got them from autodinamics as that has been the cheapest I can find.

How long did the order take to arrive?

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to hear your engine check light problem has been sorted.

Yes I too changed all oils and filters and pads rotors and fluid when I first got mine but didnt worry about plugs because of their extremely long service interval. The NGK R,s you took out sound like they were the OEM laser platinum ones. Hopefully the Iridium IX are just a bit better again ( if you can believe NGK's advertising hype).

I was hoping you would say that you got them from autodinamics as that has been the cheapest I can find.

How long did the order take to arrive?

Thanks for the info.

Hi Grae,

It only took about 10days to get the plugs. You get a free metal Iridium sticker too.

I did my plugs over the weekend. 5 of the wells were clean a whistle, but sure enough the hole closest to the passenger seat had a little oil in it.

I can't see how it would cause any issues.. it was a very small amount, perhaps 5 or 10ml, and it wouldn't be leaking into the combustion chamber, nor any exposed electrical components.

Don't think i'm gonna bother fixing this, unless somebody can enlighten me of a good reason to?

Hi Grae,

It only took about 10days to get the plugs. You get a free metal Iridium sticker too.

Thanks mate

Mine also took about 10 days and I put them in last weekend. Not a quick job but was lucky to have all dry tubes and no oil leaks.

What I did find though was plugs from both rear cylinders had the pointed ends of centre electrodes worn totally away givng a gap of about 2mm. Never had misfires even at red line gear changes so the coil packs must pack a real punch to still fire them with that gap and a very rounded stub of the centre electrode remaining. All other plugs ( cyls 1,3,2 and 4) were intact with standard looking wear and carbon build up especially on the curved ground electrode underside directly above centre electrode.

Engine seems smoother but subjectively less powerful though this may be just my imagination. Will get a better idea next month when I get a few 1/4 mile times and compare them to decembers numbers on the old plugs.

Makes you wonder about the advantages that a plenum spacer may give to our engines in evening out inlet flow to front and rear cylinders! Has anyone else had this problem/ condition when changing their plugs?

I did my plugs over the weekend. 5 of the wells were clean a whistle, but sure enough the hole closest to the passenger seat had a little oil in it.

I can't see how it would cause any issues.. it was a very small amount, perhaps 5 or 10ml, and it wouldn't be leaking into the combustion chamber, nor any exposed electrical components.

Don't think i'm gonna bother fixing this, unless somebody can enlighten me of a good reason to?

Your going to have to fix it eventually so I say why not do it now. Just sent an email to my local nissan dealer to see how much it would cost to replace valve covers and gaskets. Just trying to see how much I would be out of pocket if I import a V35 and it comes with this issue.

• 6 months later...

Well I just changed my plugs today as well. First attempt. Took me an hour and fifteen. Like most of you , I found a bit of oil on the plug closest to the passengers side. Might try the silicone fix when I have time later.

The old plugs were extremely worn and black as charcoal. The tips are all rounded. Guess my car's done more than what the odo says. Glad I changed them. The check engine light doesn't turn on. I made sure all the plugs were correctly plugged in.

Car's definitely runs a lot smoother now on idle and run. The performance gain is very noticeable. Maybe because of how worn out the old plugs were.

Part cost : $65

I just did my plugs today as well and guess what....I found about 30ml of oil in the tube nearest the passanger. Just the same as the others here. I sucked it out, cleaned it up and put it all back together.

Car has done 107k and the plugs were in need of a change. It is running noticeable better now and I expect the fuel economy to improve as well but I am reluctant to leave this rocker cover problem for too long so I'll get a quote for the work from the local nissan dealer...gulp! I'll keep you posted.

I just did my plugs today as well and guess what....I found about 30ml of oil in the tube nearest the passanger. Just the same as the others here. I sucked it out, cleaned it up and put it all back together.

Car has done 107k and the plugs were in need of a change. It is running noticeable better now and I expect the fuel economy to improve as well but I am reluctant to leave this rocker cover problem for too long so I'll get a quote for the work from the local nissan dealer...gulp! I'll keep you posted.

I had a chat with my uncle who is working in Nissan as a Mechanic. He reckon try tightening the valve cover, if not the seals have to be change.