SAU Community

Operation Pipe Down - Vic Cops Vs Noisy Cars

ashneel

Yer I ain't saying my JASMA was legal...just that this current exhaust is quieter than my JASMA was and really should not warrant the hand out of an EPA notice based on what a cop thinks. Cops aren't friggen decibel meters...it's bullshit that this fine is served as a subjective, qualitative measure. But like I said it may not be exhaust that he reported me for, it's just that my EPA notice is demanding my whole car be tested for exhaust/emissions etc.

Fark I had no idea decibels were THAT non-linear :D

LOL you wouldn't have that problem with an RB25 :P

I'm pretty sure mine is a full emissions test. The absolute works. Which sucks, because the cop told me he didn't care about my intake...and didn't look at my exhaust...yet he still reports me to the EPA for a work over. He saw my hail damage too...you'd think I could find sympathy there given I have to fork out a couple of grand just to get that repaired.

Throw your rocks, but right now Holdens are sounding like a good option...

yuck, dont go holden, id go with a xr6 turbo. my mates got a xr6 turbo ute they are very quick and doesnt take much to get them alot faster. plus they dont stand out and you just have to remove the turbo badge and instant sleeper, so no cop attention.

but that said, even if the decibel isn't linear, the police shouldn't have the authority to issue a fine for your exhaust just because he thinks its loud.

say, you're buying nuts, you ask for 500g of nuts, the guy just scoops up one scoop and asks for payment, would you trust him that it's 500g? the dude isn't a weighing machine.

Loving the nut analogy lol.

I knew decibels were non-linear but not to that extent. All things aside it seems theres a general agreement here police shouldn't be able to issue these fines without testing first. I'd love to know how the testing workshops got on the list for recommended testers too.

^^ you don't get a fine unless they can prove it, this is normally done by mobile EPA stations. You DO have to pay the test fee to check it you are suspected to exceed the limit

The $75 its costing me to go and get it tested...that's a fine to me. Even if the money goes to the workshop testing it. I shouldn't have to pay that shit, it's not like rego or drivers licence where every road user has to pay it.

Definately agree with you there, $75 i'm sure you can spend somewhere else! Plus let's not forget what price you have to put on your time!

$75 = almost a full tank of Vpower :)

But as for his time.. Birds is cheap, he's only worth $2.50 an hour, extra $1 if he's wearing a singlet xD

lol the f**kers got me I was observed by police on the 16th of april to have a defective exhaust on my vehicle. :)

no fine, no noise test, no epa, no nothing... :D just a warning. :)

lol the f**kers got me I was observed by police on the 16th of april to have a defective exhaust on my vehicle. :)

no fine, no noise test, no epa, no nothing... :D just a warning. :)

Just a warning? Why would they bother with that anyway, and how did they "observe" your car?

Its amazing isn't it, lets just do away with all quantitative and qualitative equipment, the TMU can do all measurements for you.

Edited by xALmoN

Just a warning? Why would they bother with that anyway, and how did they "observe" your car?

Its amazing isn't it, lets just do away with all quantitative and qualitative equipment, the TMU can do all measurements for you.

I was driving down King st in the city (I even recall the vehicle who did sit behind me) I assume I get the warning as I live in country vic. :D

There is a time and date, seems like alot of paper work for a warning. Although they have threatened to get nasty should i not rectify it.

no fine, no noise test, no epa, no nothing... :D just a warning. ;)

Just because your are girl :)

I wonder how much luck you would have carrying a Decibel-O-Meter in your glovebox to prove to them their wrong on the spot? :D

They can always say your unit produces wrong readings lols, wouldn't be surprised.

I was driving down King st in the city (I even recall the vehicle who did sit behind me) I assume I get the warning as I live in country vic. :D

There is a time and date, seems like alot of paper work for a warning. Although they have threatened to get nasty should i not rectify it.

when i got mine in the mail last year they said that they observed my car, and said it was too noisy and i had 28 days to fix it, and i had a list of places i can take it to. also the place i took it to is somewhere i am never going again, he was very rude and id love to kick his arse. :)

charles89 I wished the girl card was a factor here.

My parents have the documentation, so I am yet to read it all. I think the only thing that saved me was the address.

scotty014 I would have taken my car elsewhere, you still paying for a service and you dont need some wanker giving you a hard time.

charles89 I wished the girl card was a factor here.

My parents have the documentation, so I am yet to read it all. I think the only thing that saved me was the address.

scotty014 I would have taken my car elsewhere, you still paying for a service and you dont need some wanker giving you a hard time.

I don't get it, how can the address save you? :D

I put my silencer in couple days before operation began. Have not had any problems while i was driving. Mum needed my car for work which isnt very far at all. On the way home apparently she gets "stalked" by a cop. Pulls her over and asks her if the silencer has always been in. (Mum has no idea what the guy is talking about) She explains to him she has no idea and he apparently was getting all shitty and saying gonna give a notice to her which she didn't tell me what kind. But overall apparently he had a massive attitude and she explained its my car and she doesn't have any idea about cars etc and he gave her attitude for it? What the hell is that about...

On a side note, anyone just see ACA? I found it funny a bunch of guys singing, -"once a farmer had a cop...etc"

and in the back you see a skyline. Someone just got defected :D

Edited by D-G

Charles89,It is claimed by some that if one is more than x amount of kays from a registered testing station one does not have to present vehicle for said testing.

i'm sure a decibel meter thingy wouldn't be cheap.

And @ Danielle, how would they know if you haven't rectified your exhaust? I doubt they have a picture of it, besides, you could always say that you have. They've got no proof that your exhaust isn't lower than 90dB, but.. is your exhaust legal?!