SAU Community

Operation Pipe Down - Vic Cops Vs Noisy Cars

ashneel

hey what's with the dark gray coloured cop cars? look like SS with all the markings but a dark gray colour!?

I have also seen them in blue and yellow, have also noticed a few cop cars that are marked but dont have the roof lights, they are a lot harder to spot in traffic.

So how's this. I get an EPA notice in the mail today...as reported by the cop who got me for my HID headlights earlier this month. He didn't even look at my exhaust system, or listen to it. So now I have to pay $75 to have someone test my car because a cop assumed my exhaust isn't legal and that my car doesn't meet emissions standards. And if my car fails that test, I have to pay $37 for a re-test. Am I supposed to just guess that my car meets the standards and bad luck if I have to re-test?

This place is f**ked.

Seriously man i feel so sorry for you, it almost seems like ppl think that we have nothing better to do accept deal with this shit. Honestly, i think that the first test should be free as they don't have any evidence to support the epa notice.

All that said- "cop" it on the chin and move lol

All that said- "cop" it on the chin and move lol

f**k that, i would be going to get legal advice, get the test done and if it is legal then talk to a lawyer about taking the cops to court to recover costs as they have no evidence to support there case, all they have one cops opinion with no facts to back it up.

im sure there will be manu more SAUers in the same boat, the more people who take this to court the more this blitz will be shown as the scam it is.

f**k that, i would be going to get legal advice, get the test done and if it is legal then talk to a lawyer about taking the cops to court to recover costs as they have no evidence to support there case, all they have one cops opinion with no facts to back it up.

im sure there will be manu more SAUers in the same boat, the more people who take this to court the more this blitz will be shown as the scam it is.

But then, by the time you get a lawyer and your time to go to court and all, at the end of the day, even if you won the case, you will still come out of it as the loser. Losing your time and money due to one cop's factless opinion. So I guess you will be cutting the lost if you just cop it and move on lol. Yes it's not fair, but there's not much we can do.

But then, by the time you get a lawyer and your time to go to court and all, at the end of the day, even if you won the case, you will still come out of it as the loser. Losing your time and money due to one cop's factless opinion. So I guess you will be cutting the lost if you just cop it and move on lol. Yes it's not fair, but there's not much we can do.

You include all of that in your claim.

x2

So how's this. I get an EPA notice in the mail today...as reported by the cop who got me for my HID headlights earlier this month. He didn't even look at my exhaust system, or listen to it. So now I have to pay $75 to have someone test my car because a cop assumed my exhaust isn't legal and that my car doesn't meet emissions standards. And if my car fails that test, I have to pay $37 for a re-test. Am I supposed to just guess that my car meets the standards and bad luck if I have to re-test?

This place is f**ked.

Birds, I suggest you look into taking this further. Assuming they didn't listen to the exhaust at all and only noticed your car had a non factory exhaust visually they should be pulled up on this one.

But quick question why were you pulled over in the first instance, did they notice your car because of your exhaust?

It goes:

Large number of Skylines > Media > Police

The reason I say media are largely responsible is because there have always been a large number of Skylines on the road for 10 years...yet the police and the lawmakers are getting worse and worse in their operations and laws because the media are getting worse in their reports. It was always bad for imports but its much worse than it was 10 years ago.

10 years ago of course it wasnt as bad even 6 years ago it wasnt cos a stock 33 was about $20k and there wasnt so many because they were cost restrictive.. not any more any tom dick or harry with a quarter time job can afford one.

and as for the epa notice.. well thats just how it goes your getting to experience what everyone else goes through on a regular basis get in with an exhaust place is the easiest way if you got stock exhaust wack it on and do the test saves paying for a re test

dont be stupid u cant go get a lawyer if its fine come on you didnt get into cars yesterday

they can do anything and defect u on suspicion of mods epa is the same.. just man up and get it sorted you'll never win fighting it and what you gunna recover $100? lol what u think a lawyer costs

geeez some of the advice on here is woeful.

yes perzn hids are illegal if you dont have washers or auto levelling as far as i know. hence why they are removed for compliance.

dont be stupid u cant go get a lawyer if its fine come on you didnt get into cars yesterday

they can do anything and defect u on suspicion of mods epa is the same.. just man up and get it sorted you'll never win fighting it and what you gunna recover $100? lol what u think a lawyer costs

yes perzn hids are illegal if you dont have washers or auto levelling as far as i know. hence why they are removed for compliance.

Try reading the last dozen posts again, also go back and find the threads on r31nismoids adventures in taking bogus defects to court, you will that the information you are giving is woefull especially in a situation like this where they have no evidence or training to back up there claim.

"yes perzn hids are illegal if you dont have washers or auto levelling as far as i know. hence why they are removed for compliance. "

ok mine came with after market hids and it has a turning switch under the steering wheel to adjust it in 3 levles.

so is mine legal?

how would i find out if i have washers or auto lvling?

wattttt.... u can gett done for hid????????????????????

Yes, if you don't have auto-levelling motors. To protect/excuse the factory BMW, Honda Accord lights etc. I'm guessing. Everyone else is a source of revenue as far as they are concerned. The funny thing is that mine were pointed down on the ground and the "legal" lights I've swapped back in are actually brighter, more glary, and point higher. Go figure.

Birds, I suggest you look into taking this further. Assuming they didn't listen to the exhaust at all and only noticed your car had a non factory exhaust visually they should be pulled up on this one.

But quick question why were you pulled over in the first instance, did they notice your car because of your exhaust?

They pulled me over because I was driving a Skyline. They went through a couple of red lights behind me, then they sat behind me. I took off sedately, they tailgated me, put on their lights and pulled me over for random inspection. I wasn't doing anything illegal, I wasn't revving my engine and my exhaust is actually rather quiet. It was because it was a Skyline, as the officer himself made note of.

and as for the epa notice.. well thats just how it goes your getting to experience what everyone else goes through on a regular basis get in with an exhaust place is the easiest way if you got stock exhaust wack it on and do the test saves paying for a re test

Man I've seen this shit for years I'm far from new to it. This is getting beyond ridiculous though - it used to be just one dick, Pettett. Now there are many dicks and the pussy level is getting low. We're talking double pentration here. I'm confident my car will pass the test but if that does happen then why the f*** should I pay $75 when I haven't committed a crime? It's like a fine based on suspicion alone...like you paying court fees even if you get acquitted. What happened to innocent untl proven guilty?

The reality is that this thing is a revenue raising sham. $75 is just enough to make it worthwhile collecting revenue, but not enough to make people want to go to court over it / seek legal advice so most people will just bend over and take it. I'm considering going to court over it, but without a solicitor/barrister. Not the best thing you can do but the legal fees aren't justified if I lose the case - and the revenue raising creeps know that. I lose either which way, because even if I get my fees paid for that won't cover the time involved. It might set an example for the officer though.

are u sure your exhaust is under 90db birds?

i mean seriously you guys sound like idiots most people are happy to just get an exhaust noise test really fkn go to court and blah blah load of rubbish let me know how you go with it.. ill be happy to laugh at you when you lose.

what exhaust are u running birds out of interest? if its 3" cat back or more ill be suprised if you pass.

basically all hoon/car laws are guilty until proven otherwise.. ie defect notices and hoon laws.. impound first court second

feel your pain birds.

i JUST recieved my EPA today for noise as part of my defect earlier this month to.

except i got done for a lot. (wheels/rideheight/coilovers/other crap)

i think its bullshit to. its an instant $75 for something that MAY not be illegal.

its the same as the law, where an officer can "spot" you speeding, how retarded.

honestly, my exhaust is WAY to loud, + a tip missing from bottoming out and smashign it off(rideheight fail).

but for other cars ive seen EPA's it seems imports are a crime to drive.

i hope you fight it birds, but at over 2k for a good barrister its hardly worth the effort..

e-lawyer has spoken. What evidence do you have to back this unintelligent statement?

i mean seriously you guys sound like idiots most people are happy to just get an exhaust noise test really fkn go to court and blah blah load of rubbish let me know how you go with it.. ill be happy to laugh at you when you lose.

I'd be happy to laugh at you if you got hit by a bus.

Wow can't believe some of you. Lol go to court for what? Because a cop gave you an EPA? I guarantee most of your exhausts are over 90db as is mine. If a cop sees a cannon on the back of your car he will assume your car is loud but tell me is he right? My guess is yes.

Unfortunately it's on you to prove your car is legal and it is unfortunate that we also have to pay for it. But why whinge about something that you know is illegal when you put it on the car. Simple thing. Either stop complaining about it and take it on the chin or do what Emsta did and buy a quiet little girls car so you can be left alone

Wow can't believe some of you. Lol go to court for what? Because a cop gave you an EPA? I guarantee most of your exhausts are over 90db as is mine. If a cop sees a cannon on the back of your car he will assume your car is loud but tell me is he right? My guess is yes.

Unfortunately it's on you to prove your car is legal and it is unfortunate that we also have to pay for it. But why whinge about something that you know is illegal when you put it on the car. Simple thing. Either stop complaining about it and take it on the chin or do what Emsta did and buy a quiet little girls car so you can be left alone

If you know it's illegal and you get pinged for it, then yes, you deserve to have the book thrown at you. I spent a small fortune getting my exhaust custom made and now the db reading is below 90db (got the certificate to prove it), and if I got EPA'd, i'd sure as f**k be taking it to court.

It's the principle of the matter, I wouldn't care how much it cost.

If you know it's illegal and you get pinged for it, then yes, you deserve to have the book thrown at you. I spent a small fortune getting my exhaust custom made and now the db reading is below 90db (got the certificate to prove it), and if I got EPA'd, i'd sure as f**k be taking it to court.

It's the principle of the matter, I wouldn't care how much it cost.

i was the same and last minute bailed out- you can't win because the court can always say that at the time you had a different exhaust fitted to your car and you swapped it back. Plus they can give you the maximum penality in court if they don't like the way you look lol

When i was looking at approx 2k in lawyer fee and been a contractor lost income (noway would i take annual leave) i was full cbf.

What you think operation pipedown is- how many cars are actually test, 1400 i really doubt it!

Honestly i reckon its BS to the max and i am with every SAU member here, definately don't think Birds you deserve it! and for the record i would f*kin furious if that happened to me!