SAU Community

Motorvate Canberra - 12 Noon, On Sunday, 18th April

Hey guys,

I got this email from my Tow Truck driver. I haven't heard about these guys before but a motorsports lobby group is a good thing. The government should pay more attention if they can see a way to earn votes. The cyclist lobby group did the same thing years ago, now look at all the bike lanes on the road.

Dear motorsports supporter,

Some time ago you indicated your support for a return of motorsports to the ACT by joining the newly formed Canberra Motorsports Supporters Group (CMSG) to raise awareness and lobby the ACT government for assistance in re-establishing a Dragway and other motorsport facilities.

Are you angry about this Government's continued snubbing of the needs of motorsports enthusiasts in the ACT ?

Does it anger you that a small minority of anti-car culture activists have the Chief Minister's ear in keeping motorsports activities out of the ACT ?

The Motorsports fraternity in the ACT is very strong and has overwhelmingly large numbers of people who demand to be heard by politicians.

It's time to revive the Canberra Motorsports Supporters Group and get active to make our presence felt.

When: 12 Noon, on Sunday, 18th April.

Where: Black Mountain Peninsula, ( BBQ area at the end of Garryowen Drive ).

Bring a drink, bring some snags to cook or just bring your mates!!!

Be There !!!

No, that was a riot over Easternats being cancelled, which is like Summernats here. It is car related but not the same focus.

I can understand how those guys felt but their actions were not the correct ones. Alot of events have been cancelled at Calder park, for what people feel, for no reason in particular.

This group, I hope, is saying that Motorsport enthusiasts are in Canberra and we are a big group.

I really hope something eventuates from it.

Recently I've contacted Sutton Rd, Canberra Karting Club, Majura Rd AFP Complex, NSW Police (in regards to the driver training centre in Kenmore) and nobody is interested in hosting anything.

Sutton have noise issues

Kart track is too small

Majura isn't available for hire

NSW Police politely told me 'no chance'

Fifth Gear Motoring and Initial Drift Australia are keen to try get something happening in the ACT and willing to help out with public liability insurance, we just need to find a suitable place that doesn't have noise issues. Modifying the old drag strip would be ideal, but the airport aren't having any of that.

Sutton was never up to scratch for a race track, ok as a driver training circuit. Nothing a couple hundred thousand could not fix.

There is a petition for another track in the Sydney basin but nothing currently for Canberra area. Majura is still earmarked for motorsports but there's no political power behind it.

this really upsets me (as a drifter)

I went to a lot of trouble (time, money etc) to build a dedicated track car so that i wouldn't do stupid stuff on our roads, and now they wont even let me take it out there to do skids. the closest place it now EC, and 6-7 hours travel every time i want to have a bit of fun isn't really appealing.

looks like its back out to fyshwick for me

We are trying (the NSW club) to keep the Skids on Sundays going as many times a year as we can at Nirimba Tafe SYdney but yeah.. somewhere down here would be good too :D

Bruce from the Karting Club told me that they used to hold a carpark meet once a year, from what he said it sounds like it was in the civic car park next to the cop shop - they had to get parliamentary approval as it was within the parliamentary triangle, or something like that.

He gave me the name of the insurance mob they used to do this, so I might call him back and pick his brain a little more. If we could get somebody like Fifth Gear, IDA or Project to put up the public liability insurance and present a professional portfolio, then I think we'd have a better chance of getting a public demo happening. It would also highlight the need for a track here.

In the meantime, everybody email Stanhope telling him we need a track. Be diplomatic about it too, nothing will ever happen as a result of: 'Oi, like we need a track to rip skids and shit, build us one.'

• 3 weeks later...
In the meantime, everybody email Stanhope telling him we need a track. Be diplomatic about it too, nothing will ever happen as a result of: 'Oi, like we need a track to rip skids and shit, build us one.'

"Sif that wouldn't work broo"

So. For those too lazy to look him up on google

http://www.chiefminister.act.gov.au/page.php?v=28

all the contact information you should need for Stanhope and the rest of the mob

I'd suggest perhaps also sending Andrew Barr, Minister for games and racing an email on the subject aswell.