SAU Community

To Motorbike Owners (well Not Limited Too Lol)

JamesK

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn't disagree more, I work in the industry and we sponsor heaps of racers, most of the racers I know enjoy 600's more and are faster on them. It makes a massive difference between 600 and 1000. That power difference can mean a huge speed difference that can define your ride and your accident. Less power means nothing, technique is the key.

If I powered out of the head shake the rear tyre would loose traction therefore causing a high side. Backing off usually kept me out of trouble. Having a better handling bike did even better.

I'm going to disagree with you.

The track and the road can't be compared. If you ride on the road like you should on a track....bye bye.

On the track you are always in the top 25% of the rev range and try to ride on a knifes edge. Do that on the road, even on a 600, and you're a deadman (or woman in your case). Having the extra cubes of a thou makes road riding much easier. You don't have to rely on peak horsepower and can grunt around. Handling of a 1000 over a 600 is also preferable on the road. having a few more kilos to push the suspension down helps on choppy roads. On a smooth racetrack a firm bike with as little unsprung weight as possible is preferred, but on the road that extra mass helps to deal with poor road surfaces.

If you get on the gas hard enough to break traction when trying to ride through a head shake then you're doing something wrong. 600s have less weight and are generally set up sharper than a thou so they are more likely to get a wobble up. And again, if you find you are getting lots of nasty head shakes on the road you are either riding too hard or your bike needs some attention.

1000s trump 600s on the road every day of the week.

Bit off topic... something (probably silly) my mates and I thought off while having some beers :)

What if there was a 2WD sports bike with an ATTESA style system......

Would it be the GT-R of bikes????

Yamaha built a 2WD R1 a few years ago. In the dry it was a touch slower cause the front end was a bit more vague and it was heavier but in the wet it totally stomped 1wd bikes.

They also built and actually released a 2WD dirt bike. Again, get in sand and really soft stuff it shone, but struggled when the weight became an issue.

Yea it seems like with any AWD vehicle weight seems to become the main issue and I can just imagine trying to keep that dirt bike up on the track would be tiring as hell. Plus these Christini's are just modified honda's but would still really kill to see what it rides like

<---- bikes fTW

Next bike will be a RC8R, as i miss my old ex TKA ZX7RR superbike

rc8r-300x183.jpg

post-34927-1193978654_thumb.jpg

Ahhh I love KTM's what happened to your old bike Trent?

1000s trump 600s on the road every day of the week.

I agree in a way, however a couple of mates of mine with 1000s (one has a Busa the other an 08 R1) agreed that for around town a 600 is much more fun and usable. They said if they were to buy another bike again it would be back to a 600. I'm going a 600 because for what I use the bike for a 1000 would never have an advantage over the 600 other than being heavier, more expensive to buy and using more fuel. No doubt it would be faster, however for any sain speed around town, even if speeding, the bikes are very even. The skill of the rider comes more into play more than anything. Only until you start going into ridicolous speeds does a 1000 actually pull that much harder.

In perspective qouted quarter times:

'08 R6 10.7-10.9

'08 R1 9.8-10.0

Really it's f'all difference for something riden on the street. The main advantage a 1000 has is the low down torque so you don't need to give it as much revs, meh.

Edited by PM-R33

Italian bikes are good, and a lot of people swear by them... but I still kick their arses on an 8k Honda :down:

V-Twins do sound nice but it depends on what you want... When I rode the 1098 my legs were itching from the massive vibrations after 10 minutes (because of v-twin), and a really poor design flaw they have is you can't full lock the steering without jamming your hand between faring and handlebar, and I have thin hands! Not very friendly on commuters. As for handling when you get to specifics they definitely rule, but you pay the price of course.

Might as well get an S1000RR for a lower price and WAAAAAAY more awesome factor. uhu yup yeah, definitely. If they make a baby beamer I'm getting one. :)

But come on... it's a Ducati? lol :P

I agree in a way, however a couple of mates of mine with 1000s (one has a Busa the other an 08 R1) agreed that for around town a 600 is much more fun and usable. They said if they were to buy another bike again it would be back to a 600. I'm going a 600 because for what I use the bike for a 1000 would never have an advantage over the 600 other than being heavier, more expensive to buy and using more fuel. No doubt it would be faster, however for any sain speed around town, even if speeding, the bikes are very even. The skill of the rider comes more into play more than anything. Only until you start going into ridicolous speeds does a 1000 actually pull that much harder.

In perspective qouted quarter times:

'08 R6 10.7-10.9

'08 R1 9.8-10.0

Really it's f'all difference for something riden on the street. The main advantage a 1000 has is the low down torque so you don't need to give it as much revs, meh.

Your last line completely contradicts your first paragraph.

Torque = everything on the street.

How do your mates with Busas know a 600 is better? As someone who has spent vast time on smaller bikes, 600s and 1000s I can tell you from experience that a thou is so much better that it's not funny. As for which is faster? That matters not one bit. On the road it's 99% rider, 1% bike. A top notch street racer (think Cam McDonald) would flog me through the Black spur on an electric scooter with me riding a Desmosedici. For carving up traffic the torque of a thou trumps a 600 every time, without fail, 100%. For having fun along the spur, for anyone other than an A grader a thou will be faster. Most riders don't have the skill to make use of the slightly better handling that a 600 has over a thou. It easy to use the extra torque and in fact makes it easier for an average rider to go faster.

A thou will pull much harder than a 600 from idle. Much, much harder.

Again, quarter mile times mean nothing on the road.

Oh, and an R6 will struggle to get into the 11s. An R1 will pull mid to low 10s all day. And as most people on here would know, the difference between 10 flat and 12 flat is absolutely enormous.

The only people I have ever known who would recommend a 600 over a 1000 for the street are newbies who read on Nerdriders that that is what they should do or someone who doesn't actually have the experience of riding the different bikes. Everyone I know, whos opinion I would actually respect as I know they have vast experience, would tell you a 1000 over a 600 for the street every time. Only on the track may this change.

I got a noob question, as I don't know anything about bikes lol.

What are some P plate legal bikes that looks good as well? xD

Ninja 250 seems to be the popular one but for THE LOVE OF GOD do not be one of those that buy's that Hyosung junk seriously like don't know what people are thinking when they buy those (not to offend anyone) Charles you might want to take a look at the LAMS list http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyre...ebruary2010.pdf it's the new laws which allow higher bikes and bases it on power to weight rather than 250cc MAXIMUM!!!!!

Hyosung 250's aren't that bad. They are a large bike (basically 600cc sized chassis) which makes them well suited to larger riders. They look good and have good learner suited pace. Their biggest issue is reliability - lots of stuff breaks down and rusts on them, but they have improved over time.

Ninja 250 seems to be the popular one but for THE LOVE OF GOD do not be one of those that buy's that Hyosung junk seriously like don't know what people are thinking when they buy those (not to offend anyone) Charles you might want to take a look at the LAMS list http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyre...ebruary2010.pdf it's the new laws which allow higher bikes and bases it on power to weight rather than 250cc MAXIMUM!!!!!

Yeah, I had a look at the list before and I have no idea what each of them looks like LOL.

But I do like the look of Ninjas tho :ninja:

I've always wanted to ride a bike, but never got around to getting a license

Eeeer, actually Hyosungs are bloody great bikes for what they are. Their build quality is perfectly acceptable for a bike built to a budget.

You do know that the Ninja 250 is made in Thailand, right? Not exactly the last bastion of quality engineering. I'd rather a bike made in Korea than Thailand any day. And the Hyosung was originally powered by the Suzuki SV650 engine which was a cracker. They have since started building their own and it is generally considered better than the Suzuki it replaced. It's more powerful, more efficient, smoother and gruntier than the SV donk.

If I were looking for a beginner bike it'd be first a big single dirt bike like an XR 600 or something to that effect. They are cheap, easy, fun, sell well when upgrade time comes along, inexpensive to fix when you inevitably drop it and great in traffic.

If I had to have something sportier it's be a second hand Hyosung 650cc naked jobbie. Cheap and easy to on sell later.

Can I say to the OP and Charles, for the love of God listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.

Ahhh I love KTM's what happened to your old bike Trent?

It was track only (lots of carbon, no starter etc, no numbers as it was a tka frame) and only got used occasionally cause we were so busy... a real waste, so i sold it to someone who had time to use it.

**DROOLS**

hypermotard.jpg

My cousin at the last phillip island track day on his duke.... was great to see a naked lapping quicker than a lot of hypersports bikes.

post-34927-1271304802_thumb.jpg

Sweet K-tuma. I had my heart set on one of those but I'm a little suss on build quality.

Any bike I buy will get 40,000ks a year put on it and from all accounts the KTM road bikes struggle with reliability. I've heard everything from general rough running (which can be fixed with a PC) to spitting gears through cases and blowing oil past seals and the like. They seem to be over represented in the "bikes with issues" stakes. They looks horn and go like stink, but reliability is a must.

The Ducrapi is a proven tractor. They have been using that engine sine the 1945 Ducatistimobileadicidesmotractor plow, so reliability isn't an issue.

Your last line completely contradicts your first paragraph.

Torque = everything on the street.

How do your mates with Busas know a 600 is better? As someone who has spent vast time on smaller bikes, 600s and 1000s I can tell you from experience that a thou is so much better that it's not funny. As for which is faster? That matters not one bit. On the road it's 99% rider, 1% bike. A top notch street racer (think Cam McDonald) would flog me through the Black spur on an electric scooter with me riding a Desmosedici. For carving up traffic the torque of a thou trumps a 600 every time, without fail, 100%. For having fun along the spur, for anyone other than an A grader a thou will be faster. Most riders don't have the skill to make use of the slightly better handling that a 600 has over a thou. It easy to use the extra torque and in fact makes it easier for an average rider to go faster.

A thou will pull much harder than a 600 from idle. Much, much harder.

Again, quarter mile times mean nothing on the road.

Oh, and an R6 will struggle to get into the 11s. An R1 will pull mid to low 10s all day. And as most people on here would know, the difference between 10 flat and 12 flat is absolutely enormous.

The only people I have ever known who would recommend a 600 over a 1000 for the street are newbies who read on Nerdriders that that is what they should do or someone who doesn't actually have the experience of riding the different bikes. Everyone I know, whos opinion I would actually respect as I know they have vast experience, would tell you a 1000 over a 600 for the street every time. Only on the track may this change.

The people in question are fairly older guys who have owned quite a few bikes including 250's and 600's as they have gone the typical route most people do 250-600-1000 so their opinion to me ment quite a bit.

With the quarter times, like i said, they were "qouted times". Hell i've seen a Busa struggle to crack an 11 purely from an inexperienced rider so it does come down to the rider obviously.

I'll be happy with a 600 around town :ninja:

Edited by PM-R33